MEOW # 4: Books!

A weekly meta crossword on the forum started by member Josh (aka madhatter5). These puzzles are often very creative with solving mechanisms out of the norm and skewing towards the more challenging. Puzzles are posted every Wednesday, and the solution appears the following Tuesday.
Cinny

Post by Cinny »

Submitted and waiting for confirmation.
Confirmed!!
Cindy Heisler
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

ReB wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 12:01 am The cat is out of the bag and hiding under the sofa. (confirmed)

I wonder if there should be a Cheshire Cat level?

[Original post rewritten]
Or how about this --- The Cheshire could be the award for most MEOW solves of the year ---- since it'd be virtual anyway, the gradual fading away would be appropriate! :D
As Cruise Director Bob would say: The elusive Chessie.
madhatter5

Post by madhatter5 »

I think the Calico would also work, since of course the Gingham dog and the Calico cat ate each other up :)
https://pandorasblocks.org/crosswords-for-cancer
madhatter5

Post by madhatter5 »

Solution:

The answer was The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, a title which describes the three theme entries.

After the "On the Rebound" fiasco I thought I would throw a softball this week. Some of you appreciated that, others found this one a bit boring. But don't fear! Tomorrow's puzzle will be a lot more colorful.

... no, I mean literally, it will be a lot more colorful. Which is a problem because evidently .puz files just ignore all colors. Does anyone know a workaround for that? Otherwise I can only send the pdf and my web-hosted one.
https://pandorasblocks.org/crosswords-for-cancer
RPardoe

Post by RPardoe »

No way to get PUZ to display colors that I know of.

For other puzzles that have required some sort of special formatting, a common practice is to provide the PUZ file, but strongly suggest folks look at the PDF also for missing information.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

I did the Hatter's puzzle today, and thankfully didn't look first. Fun puzzle but thankfully not too difficult. I'm kind of glad I did because had I solved it during the allowable period I would have been sorely tempted to say that "the lion is out of the wardrobe..."

I also hope there is never a Saber Toothed Tiger level - that one would mean we would all be extinct before solving it.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!