MEOW #47: Parallel Universe

A weekly meta crossword on the forum started by member Josh (aka madhatter5). These puzzles are often very creative with solving mechanisms out of the norm and skewing towards the more challenging. Puzzles are posted every Wednesday, and the solution appears the following Tuesday.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

OK, a couple more have joined our merry space romp:

1 benchen71
2 oldjudge
3 Laura
4 Dave C
5 Woozy
6 Meg
7 lbray53
8 Schmeel
9 Al Sisti
10 ChrisKochmanski
11 Rpardoe
12 Hoover
13 rjy
14 boharr
15 sharkicicles
16 Laura M
17 Cindy
18 MarkWoychick
19 Carolyn
20 Darth
21 BrennerTJ
22 Dow Jones
23 Beth Tyrpin
24 BirdLives
25 KayW
26 Joe Ross
27 Dplass
28 Jeremy
29 Cinny
30 joequavis
31 Dannyvee
32 MamaE
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

A quick update! Someone had sent their solve only to Josh so I didn't have it on the Leader Board and we want to make sure everyone is universally treated well ;) Our latecomer, in their respectful place, is shown below in red:

1 benchen71
2 oldjudge
3 Laura
4 Dave C
5 Woozy
6 Meg
7 lbray53
8 Schmeel
9 Al Sisti
10 ChrisKochmanski
11 Rpardoe
12 Hoover
13 rjy
14 boharr
15 sharkicicles
16 Laura M
17 Cindy
18 MarkWoychick
19 Carolyn
20 Darth
21 BrennerTJ
22 Dow Jones
23 Beth Tyrpin
24 BirdLives
25 KayW
26 Joe Ross
27 CPJohnson
28 Dplass
29 Jeremy
30 Cinny
31 joequavis
32 Dannyvee
33 MamaE
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

Glanced at this Wednesday but did not have time to get very far. Finally had time to work on it and the cat is now out of the bag (pending verification). Great puzzle.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

I took advantage of a feature of the .puz format once I figured out what was going on.

Good one! I don’t usually do these, but had some extra puzzling time this weekend.
dudeski

Post by dudeski »

Nice job.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Nudges coming I promise! In the meantime here is the newest solver board:
1 benchen71
2 oldjudge
3 Laura
4 Dave C
5 Woozy
6 Meg
7 lbray53
8 Schmeel
9 Al Sisti
10 ChrisKochmanski
11 Rpardoe
12 Hoover
13 rjy
14 boharr
15 sharkicicles
16 Laura M
17 Cindy
18 MarkWoychick
19 Carolyn
20 Darth
21 BrennerTJ
22 Dow Jones
23 Beth Tyrpin
24 BirdLives
25 KayW
26 Joe Ross
27 CPJohnson
28 Dplass
29 Jeremy
30 Cinny
31 joequavis
32 Dannyvee
33 MamaE
34 SewYoung
35 BarbaraK
36 dudeski
37 markhr
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

As promised!

Nudge Saturday!!!

For those of you still hanging around the single universe:

Nudge There are two sets of clues but only one GRID is shown, where will you answer that other set?

Nudge What is the “geeky” definition of a parallel universe? ”self-contained plane of existence, co-existing with one's own”

MUCH bigger nudge What do most SciFi movies and books always play up about parallel universes?

Full fledged, death defying, earth’s gravity leaving PUSH How do parallel universes interact with each other or know the other exists?
MaineMarge

Post by MaineMarge »

Got it before your nudges, thanks to a comment from my partner.
Nice parallel trip, guys.
Living up here in the 45th parallel universe, I often pass this sign on our regular trip to Eastport, Maine
AD77DE08-039E-44E0-941E-30672F55C5C7.jpeg
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

MaineMarge wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:50 am Got it before your nudges, thanks to a comment from my partner.
Nice parallel trip, guys.
Living up here in the 45th parallel universe, I often pass this sign on our regular trip to Eastport, Maine

AD77DE08-039E-44E0-941E-30672F55C5C7.jpeg
You're halfway to SANTA! Wow, tell him I've been a good boy - I know you can make it flowery.
MaineMarge

Post by MaineMarge »

DrTom wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:09 am You're halfway to SANTA! Wow, tell him I've been a good boy - I know you can make it flowery.
Now, now, Dr. Tom, you know I wouldn’t lilac that…
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

MaineMarge wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:34 am
DrTom wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:09 am You're halfway to SANTA! Wow, tell him I've been a good boy - I know you can make it flowery.
Now, now, Dr. Tom, you know I wouldn’t lilac that…
Well gosh, I was hoping you'd increase my statice with the jolly old guy in case my letter this year somehow rose to the top of the pile. Still I suppose that is too much to hope for because I am far too peony and truthfully when it comes to the being good part I have been lackadaisycal.🌼
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

I think that I might be on the leaderboard both at #3 and #16? Not that it isn't possible that there's another Laura or even another Laura M, but I don't think I've seen one in the MEOW topics...
MaineMarge

Post by MaineMarge »

Now, now, Dr. Tom, don’t feel so blu--ets gonna be OK. My calendula says there are about 9 more weeks until Christmas, so we have plenty of thyme to get you back in Santa’s good grasses. After mullein it over, I got out some nice note paper(white), and have started this letter to Santa for you:
Dear Santa, (mind if I call you Kris? - and the Mum, what’s her name again?)
——-Oops! I see it’s past 4 O’Clock, so thistle have to be finished later. I’ll work on it without dilly-dahliaing. Don’t get impatiens waiting or forget me- not your style I know.
BTW - I still won’t be able to lie—lackadaisical sounds naughty, not nice. Marge
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

Laura M wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:16 pm I think that I might be on the leaderboard both at #3 and #16? Not that it isn't possible that there's another Laura or even another Laura M, but I don't think I've seen one in the MEOW topics...
Of course, it must be my doppelganger from the parallel universe :-)

(Edit: Oops, meant to edit my previous post instead of quoting myself!)
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Laura M wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:16 pm I think that I might be on the leaderboard both at #3 and #16? Not that it isn't possible that there's another Laura or even another Laura M, but I don't think I've seen one in the MEOW topics...
Hmmmm - appears that the problem is a mechanical one. There is a loose nut on my keyboard!

I wish I had a good answer how that happened, the only possible explanation is that a creature from Bizarro World entered our universe and...Oh, OK here is a PM I got

DrTom
Me sorry, me live in Bizarro universe and see M arual has solved most excellent Universe Parallel Meta. Me make big mistake and post result in non-Bizarro World (or occasionally non-Bizarro). Please me excuse for error!
ClassicBizarro.PNG.png
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

MaineMarge wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:08 pm Now, now, Dr. Tom, don’t feel so blu--ets gonna be OK. My calendula says there are about 9 more weeks until Christmas, so we have plenty of thyme to get you back in Santa’s good grasses. After mullein it over, I got out some nice note paper(white), and have started this letter to Santa for you:
Dear Santa, (mind if I call you Kris? - and the Mum, what’s her name again?)
——-Oops! I see it’s past 4 O’Clock, so thistle have to be finished later. I’ll work on it without dilly-dahliaing. Don’t get impatiens waiting or forget me- not your style I know.
BTW - I still won’t be able to lie—lackadaisical sounds naughty, not nice. Marge
Should have know I was batting out of my league in the realm of flower puns. I asked my Poppy and he said that to continue would be disasterous. He suggested I petal my humor elsewhere or irisk embarrassment stemming from my desire to petunia words my brand of humor. So before I incite violets and find myself pistil whipped or get kicked in the Phalaenopsis (and MainMarge you'll know what I mean) because impatiens has set in I just hasta close
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Laura M wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:51 pm
Of course, it must be my doppelganger from the parallel universe :-)

(Edit: Oops, meant to edit my previous post instead of quoting myself!)
Are you quoting you or is your doppleganger quoting you.....
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Well the cats leaving the bag are down to a trickle, here are the last two I've received:
38 Bob cruise director
39 Cindy N

If there is anyone still looking for a nudge, let me know what tripped you up and I can provide an interstellar tow!
madhatter5

Post by madhatter5 »

Solution:
par.png
https://pandorasblocks.org/crosswords-for-cancer
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

madhatter5 wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:42 pm Solution:

par.png
That reveal is just awesome.

Also, the meta was awesome. Wow. How did you pull that off?! Wow.

Just wow.