MEOW #44: No Loose Ends

A weekly meta crossword on the forum started by member Josh (aka madhatter5). These puzzles are often very creative with solving mechanisms out of the norm and skewing towards the more challenging. Puzzles are posted every Wednesday, and the solution appears the following Tuesday.
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

LOL at that 3rd nudge.
MamaE

Post by MamaE »

Finally got it with lots of nudges! LOL
- Just puzzling it out here in Delmarva :D
madhatter5

Post by madhatter5 »

Solution:

The central entry DISCOVER CLUES was the crux of the puzzle, and is meant to be parsed literally. You need to dis-cover the clues of the starred entries - i.e., remove their covering letters and keep only the inside letters.

So we have:

ETHER -> THE

SHOUT -> HOU

ENDOW -> NDO

IF THEN -> F THE

ABASE -> BAS

SKEW -> KE

ORVILLE -> RVILL

NEST -> ES

The resulting letters spell out the answer, The Hound of the Baskervilles
https://pandorasblocks.org/crosswords-for-cancer
woozy

Post by woozy »

Wow... did not see that... don't see why I didn't see that came close. Spent most of the time looking at the grid and kept thinking "end" meant last letters. Still should have seen it. But didn't. Good puzzle.
Latest meta: Never forget... and never mind (A WSJ retaliation)
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Outstanding! I was looking for a DISC OVER (the) CLUES; like adding an "O." Excellent puzzle.
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

Al Sisti wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 2:16 pm Outstanding! I was looking for a DISC OVER (the) CLUES; like adding an "O." Excellent puzzle.
Before the nudges I was looking for alternate clues that matched the started entries but could only find 2.
woozy

Post by woozy »

I look for all sorts of stuff Disc Over Clues (so the CD in aneCData) or D is C over Clues which is ... which is weird or Disc Over C Lues (homophone of loose) and other garbage. I think I even thought of Dis Cover Clues thinking somehow I had to put dis into the grid ans..... oh my god.... when you said "clues" you actually meant the puzzle's clues and not the entries that were clues to meta. Somehow that Clues could refer to .... clues.... utterly never occurred to me until I was in the middle of typing the sentence: "I think I even thought of Dis Cover Clues thinking somehow I had to put dis into the grid answers".
Latest meta: Never forget... and never mind (A WSJ retaliation)
Beth Tyrpin

Post by Beth Tyrpin »

Maybe if the title was Lose Ends and the central clue was uncover clues. Nudge three wasn’t a bit useful, but is pretty funny.
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

Beth Tyrpin wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:17 pm Maybe if the title was Lose Ends and the central clue was uncover clues. Nudge three wasn’t a bit useful, but is pretty funny.
Hm. Nudge 3 gave me the whole mechanism...
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

Someone please explain the third nudge.
Cynthia
boharr

Post by boharr »

CPJohnson wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:31 am Someone please explain the third nudge.
Same as the solution. Drop first and last letters to form new words.
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

^^
Just about to answer also --- Spells out "Maybe this is useful" -- Kinda ???? since you have to know the mechanism already to be able to decipher! :)
Just another jokester-ism! (I had test solved and it took me a minute or two to figure out what was going on! :) )
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

I just have to chime in again, since i don't think I praised the cleverness of this meta strongly enough in my first post... this was a great meta/mechanism! I'm fairly familiar with cryptic puzzles, but nowhere near as familiar as Josh is; "Cover," as cryptic wordplay meaning "the outside letters," is one I hadn't seen in solving past cryptics. But it was fair, made sense, and made for a very clever puzzle.