MEOW #35: A Woman's Place Is .....

A weekly meta crossword on the forum started by member Josh (aka madhatter5). These puzzles are often very creative with solving mechanisms out of the norm and skewing towards the more challenging. Puzzles are posted every Wednesday, and the solution appears the following Tuesday.
MikeM000

Post by MikeM000 »

I've done with cats whatever one does with cats in this sub-forum when you get the meta. With old man Griffin, below, to be precise. We are days away from his 15th Cativersary in our home, and he was likely 2-3 when we adopted him from a local shelter.

And if you want to support female crossword constructors, 2 good places to throw some cash are Inkubator crosswords - an all female-made subscription service (and for Android tablet users, their puzzles integrate seamlessly into the Alphacross app), and the USA Today daily crossword subscription. Erik Agard is dedicated to developing the next generation of puzzle makers, and is including a lot of younger female constructors in his rotation.
Attachments
20210517_100252.jpg
Dave C

Post by Dave C »

The cat is out of the bag. It was fun and for me, easier than last week.
Darth

Post by Darth »

I saw a MEOW response this morning about being "off the couch"... which made me smile because I'm right there, too.
So, here's to mixing metaphors: A cat "out of the bag" and "off the couch"... well, it's a cat, so as "off" as it gets!
And, now speaking of mixing, where's Isaac? :lol:
Attachments
cats on the couch (2).jpg
auee89

Post by auee89 »

Kitten is out of the couch! Or something like that. Thanks Whimsy!
Kevin
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

Out of the bag. Nice one, fun and educational!
Dow Jones

Post by Dow Jones »

It didn't take long for the kitten to get out of the bag. Fun clues and grid. Thank you whimsy.
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

Cat is out of the bag. I liked the parentheses for a change.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Cat has, I believe, left the bag and was laughing uncontrollably. Some funny stuff, a few of which I may even have missed. Thanks for a Wednesday chortle. I always thought it was "A woman's place is in the house, or perhaps the Senate" - and now the White House (or at least #1 Observatory Circle)

Ant Elope.jpg
Hobbs is WRONG, that IS funny!!!

CONFIRMED, THE KITTY CHANTS A WITTY DITTY; HOT TIME RUNNER IN THE CITY (and for that REALLY bad joke I should end up in SING SING
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

Cat's out of the bag. Thanks for the meta!
MaineMarge

Post by MaineMarge »

Great fun again Whimsy ❤️
My cat’s out of the bag and into his favorite place
8F5B62D9-7839-453A-8101-1269F98A28DF.jpeg
Always important for Louis to end each day with a 5 minute snuggle under the covers.
April 2016
Joe

Post by Joe »

Happy for the gentle purring. So are these guys...
49977560-4BC3-4919-91E3-4B2013D2932E_1_105_c copy.jpg
Happy to give nudges. If you notice I've solved, please tell me about avenues you've explored so I can nudge you in the right direction and not off a cliff.
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

I don't believe there's anyone out there waiting with bated breath for this but I'll keep the pattern going (after a reminder that it was Saturday from Josh! :) )

I'll go big (rather than go home.)
Gracie says: "Say goodnight, bug!"
CaptureGracie.PNG
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

The solution, which everyone got, is -
GRACE HOPPER
WomansPlacesolutiongrid2.png
- with the initial letters of the embedded ("hidden figures" -- thanks, Cindy N!) women's names spelling it out, top to bottom.

In my original pipe dream, I envisioned using mainly only "important" women -- Marie Curie, Mae Jemison. NK Jemisin :D, but the reality of making the grid set in and I was reduced to using such idols as Pinocchio's goldfish.

I couldn't resist having the prompt reference Bugs/Bunny.
Many know the story of Grace de-bugging the moth in the computer, and others liked Grace Hopper as grasshopper, which I had never even thought of so thanks for learning me that! Hopper too could connote rabbits -- (although kangaroos and others too.)

But to put more emphasis on the lagomorph connection, let me introduce you to my first "grandbaby" (and most likely the only species of "grand" I'll ever have! :D ) with this picture of the two of us from a few years back --
C&G.PNG
Her name? you ask.
Why it's Grace Hopper Totino! What can I say? - my son is another one of them thar nerdy EEs!

OK -- take it away, Kay! -- who has some fun "spoilerish" stuff to show and tell -----
KayW

Post by KayW »

Fantastic meta, @whimsy

I actually got to hear Grace Hopper speak at some computer conference, probably back in the mid-80s as near as I can pinpoint the memory. I still remember her talking about her work in the early days of programming - and of course the famous "bug" story. I also remember she passed out "nanoseconds" to the audience - a footlong piece of wire, the distance light travels in one nanosecond. A memorable gimmick to show the limits of computer processing speeds and how developing smaller components could enhance them.

I was very tempted to post a naval kitty with my "out of the bag" post but thought that might be a bit spoilerish pre-deadline
SailorCat.jpg

And clue 62A "What picky mothers select" brought to mind this cartoon:
BackInAJif.png
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
madhatter5

Post by madhatter5 »

Plus, as Al surely knows, Grace Hopper was the daughter of Edgar Allan Poe
https://pandorasblocks.org/crosswords-for-cancer
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

madhatter5 wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:29 pm Plus, as Al surely knows, Grace Hopper was the daughter of Edgar Allan Poe
Nonsense. Everyone knows she was the hard-drinking bike-riding partner of Jane Fonda in Easy Rider!
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

madhatter5 wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:29 pm Plus, as Al surely knows, Grace Hopper was the daughter of Edgar Allan Poe
???????-- But then again, I didn't get most of your cryptic leaderboard either! :lol:
madhatter5

Post by madhatter5 »

@whimsy Just a reference to the Ada Lovelace thing :)
https://pandorasblocks.org/crosswords-for-cancer
hoover

Post by hoover »

KayW wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:39 am And clue 62A "What picky mothers select" brought to mind this cartoon:
BackInAJif.png
If only that file were in GIF format instead of PNG...