MEOW #33: Got Any Change?

A weekly meta crossword on the forum started by member Josh (aka madhatter5). These puzzles are often very creative with solving mechanisms out of the norm and skewing towards the more challenging. Puzzles are posted every Wednesday, and the solution appears the following Tuesday.
KayW

Post by KayW »

I needed a LOT of help, but the cat is finally out. OMG this meta is BRILLIANT!!
Kudos @madhatter5 and @Abide :bouquet: :bouquet:
CatPulled.jpg
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
cbarbee002

Post by cbarbee002 »

Ditto. Hidden in plain sight, as usual. Great construction!
ajk

Post by ajk »

OK, got it pretty quickly using both nudges. Not sure I would have gotten it otherwise, although I had a decent initial thought.
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
hoover

Post by hoover »

hoover wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:42 pm I solved the grid with the speed of a cheetah but the meta eludes me. I think I can guess the answer but I can't find my way to it. As it is 14:40 in my household, the cats are in various indecent positions of napping and are not being helpful with the meta.
The cats are up and about and have fallen out of the bag. The first nudge gave me enough to go on to actually *find* the meta answer vs. just guessing it.
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

One glance at the first nudge and it all became clear. I had been swimming after some red herrings.
Congraats to those who solved it unnudged.
Jay
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

Just got this one with the help of (1) the Abide nudge and (2) significant other Mark, normally NOT a puzzler!
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Well I got the mechanism finally but I had the answer in the first few minutes. Still a cool puzzle when it is finally clear.

Good teamwork!
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
madhatter5

Post by madhatter5 »

Solution:

In the middle of the grid is a 2x2 block that spells HEAD. If you "change" those letters to TAIL you spell out four new words:

STANK
STICK
SEAL
FACILE

Those words are clues to the following entries:

FAILED
LINGER
INSIGNIA
PAINLESS

And taking the first letters of these entries gives us the answer, FLIP
https://pandorasblocks.org/crosswords-for-cancer
RPardoe

Post by RPardoe »

Apologies to Josh & Peter - I guessed the answer as it "fit" the prompt and was coin related.
I then "confirmed" it by seeing HEAD could "flip" to TAILS in the grid, but never saw the initial letters of the entries spelling the word for a true final click/confirmation.
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

RPardoe wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:13 am Apologies to Josh & Peter - I guessed the answer as it "fit" the prompt and was coin related.
I then "confirmed" it by seeing HEAD could "flip" to TAILS in the grid, but never saw the initial letters of the entries spelling the word for a true final click/confirmation.
Same here.
auee89

Post by auee89 »

Dplass wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:27 am
RPardoe wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:13 am Apologies to Josh & Peter - I guessed the answer as it "fit" the prompt and was coin related.
Same here.
Me, too!
Kevin
Meg

Post by Meg »

Ditto. I hate it when there’s elegance that I totally miss!
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.