MEOW #32: Forever Young

A weekly meta crossword on the forum started by member Josh (aka madhatter5). These puzzles are often very creative with solving mechanisms out of the norm and skewing towards the more challenging. Puzzles are posted every Wednesday, and the solution appears the following Tuesday.
Beth Tyrpin

Post by Beth Tyrpin »

That was lovely. 🐯
ImOnToo

Post by ImOnToo »

Cat's out of the bag. Really clever!

Now, off to fly a commercial airline flight simulator!

Konnie
Schmeel

Post by Schmeel »

Cat's out of the bag.
Fun puzzle!
auee89

Post by auee89 »

Out of the bag! Thanks Josh!
Kevin
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

ImOnToo wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 3:45 pm Cat's out of the bag. Really clever!

Now, off to fly a commercial airline flight simulator!

Good luck, we’re all counting on you.
Dow Jones

Post by Dow Jones »

Empty sack alert !! Cat on the loose. Another fun MEOW challenge from Josh.
Cinny

Post by Cinny »

Solved and submitted. Cat is out of the bag. Thanks Josh for a fun meta!
Cindy Heisler
Dave C

Post by Dave C »

The cat's out of the bag. Fun meta.
MamaE

Post by MamaE »

Cat has fled - agree with all who say it’s a lovely puzzle! And I learned some new things!!
- Just puzzling it out here in Delmarva :D
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

Wendy Walker wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:34 pm Major cuteness overload while doing some Googling to confirm this one! Terrific puzzle!
Agreed - and totally grossed out by one — though I didn’t even have to Google it.

Off da davenport. Fun one!!
The other Wendy. :roll:
hoover

Post by hoover »

As usual, whipped through the grid and had to stare at this for a day before I saw anything. Jumped off the couch in amazement at the cleverness of the meta.
Jeremy Smith

Post by Jeremy Smith »

Cat’s out! Thanks, Josh!
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

DrTom wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:36 pm
whimsy wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:18 am Clap if you believe!
Capturetinkandpete.PNG
I'm Flying
Look at me way up high
Suddenly here am I
I'm flying

Courtesy: J.R's Mom
In my20s, I had a girlfriend whose grandfather was one of the children Barrie wrote the book about. I can't remember which, but not Peter, who, she told me, did grow up but threw himself under a train at the Sloan Square tube station.
Jay
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

What an original and clever construction. And in conventional crossword format, almost. Hats off to anyone who did this one sans Google. I needed it to find or check half the key words'.

Remember that MGWCC based on the unused letters in states' postal codes? One solver was sure that Matt's starting point and inspiration for it was LAWARE that became LAWFARE. I had a similar guess on Josh's inspiration for this one. I mean, what else would a constructor do upon discovering this word? But I was wrong just as I was wrong about the source of Matt's idea for the Yma puzzle.

Also, I was reminded of an apposite poem by Ogden Nash. (Does anyone these days still know even who he was let alone be able to recite a line or two?) To post the poem or even the title here would be a spoiler so I will leave that until after all is revealed.
Jay
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

From Bird Lives:
In my20s, I had a girlfriend whose grandfather was one of the children Barrie wrote the book about. I can't remember which, but not Peter, who, she told me, did grow up but threw himself under a train at the Sloan Square tube station.

Wow! Never knew all this -- just went and read about it. Reminded me a bit of the Lewis Carroll situation.

Also, I was reminded of an apposite poem by Ogden Nash. (Does anyone these days still know even who he was let alone be able to recite a line or two?) To post the poem or even the title here would be a spoiler so I will leave that until after all is revealed.

A non-spoiler remembrance:
"Oh, a wise old bird is the pelican.
His bill can hold more than his belly can." :D

EDIT!
This well known Limerick is often misattributed to other famous poets such as Ogden Nash. Dixon Lanier Merritt (1879–1972) was an American poet, editor, historian and humorist
I'm wrong -- it wasn't Nash, but it could have been. Anyway, it's fun so I'm leaving it!
Last edited by whimsy on Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Bird Lives wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:56 am What an original and clever construction. And in conventional crossword format, almost. Hats off to anyone who did this one sans Google. I needed it to find or check half the key words'.

Remember that MGWCC based on the unused letters in states' postal codes? One solver was sure that Matt's starting point and inspiration for it was LAWARE that became LAWFARE. I had a similar guess on Josh's inspiration for this one. I mean, what else would a constructor do upon discovering this word? But I was wrong just as I was wrong about the source of Matt's idea for the Yma puzzle.

Ogden Nash - hey didn't he found American Motors? (JK!)

Completely agree - great puzzle and I'll be very interested to hear the Bird dissertation on the origin of the idea, not to mention the Ogden Nash poem. I am sure if he was still alive and was doing Metas he'd posit:

The Meta
The Meta is of the puzzle ilk
One side is trivia the other bilk
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

whimsy wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:37 am From Bird Lives:

Wow! Never knew all this -- just went and read about it. Reminded me a bit of the Lewis Carroll situation.

A non-spoiler remembrance:
"Oh, a wise old bird is the pelican.
His bill can hold more than his belly can." :D
(completing the limerick from memory, no Google. Honest. So there may be some inaccuracies.)
He can hold in his beak
Enough food for a week.
I something something how the hell I can.
Jay
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

DrTom wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:42 am Ogden Nash - hey didn't he found American Motors? (JK!)
Everyone knows Ogden Nash and Rock Hudson founded AMC.

(On second thought-- in today's terms, was Nash history's first Dad Joke writer?)
dudeski

Post by dudeski »

Solved
Scott M

Post by Scott M »

First MEOW solved! Excellent puzzle!
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
Mark Twain