MEOW #32: Forever Young

A weekly meta crossword on the forum started by member Josh (aka madhatter5). These puzzles are often very creative with solving mechanisms out of the norm and skewing towards the more challenging. Puzzles are posted every Wednesday, and the solution appears the following Tuesday.
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

sharkicicles wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:37 am
DrTom wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:42 am Ogden Nash - hey didn't he found American Motors? (JK!)
Everyone knows Ogden Nash and Rock Hudson founded AMC.

(On second thought-- in today's terms, was Nash history's first Dad Joke writer?)
This car was in the Fourth of July parade here in Barnegat Light. I had been seeing it on the roads for the last several days. My guess is that it's circa 1950.
Hudson Hornet.jpg
In junior high (as we then called middle school), I used to hitchhike to school with a friend or two. Sometimes a guy who drove one like this (dark maroon, IIRC, not light green) would pick us up. We would sink into the back seat -- soft, spacious, and far back from the driver so that it was like being chauffeured.
Jay
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

The cat is out! Very clever! I needed to Google several things, but they were interesting things and not sports team names. Sorry, is that a spoiler? :-)
ricky

Post by ricky »

Unbagged.
Check out the meta challenge at Lexicon Devil

Latest puzzle: "This Place Looks Familiar," March 7, 2024

Deadline: Tuesday, March 12, 2024, 12 PM EST
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

Bird Lives wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:33 pm
This car was in the Fourth of July parade here in Barnegat Light. I had been seeing it on the roads for the last several days. My guess is that it's circa 1950.
Hudson Hornet.jpg
In junior high (as we then called middle school), I used to hitchhike to school with a friend or two. Sometimes a guy who drove one like this (dark maroon, IIRC, not light green) would pick us up. We would sink into the back seat -- soft, spacious, and far back from the driver so that it was like being chauffeured.
I believe that’s a 1951-1953 Hudson Hornet - 1951 was the first year for that car and the rear was redesigned in 1954.

If you’re interested in cars that aren’t just the standard exotics or classics I can recommend curbside classic dot com. And I’m not just just saying that because I’ve contributed 1 or 2 things there over the years. :)
Hidden in 3D

Post by Hidden in 3D »

Cat is out of the bag, pending confirmation, of course. What a great meta that provided several smiles this morning while researching the solution! Thank you, Josh!
Sara
madhatter5

Post by madhatter5 »

Nudge Saturday!

Notice anything similar about many of the across entries?

You have to honor 62A's wishes!

For each animal in the grid there is a corresponding entry elsewhere.
https://pandorasblocks.org/crosswords-for-cancer
KayW

Post by KayW »

Again, a fantastic meta. A cartoon I saw a few days ago reminded me of Nudge/Spoiler #2 above:

I don't think it's a spoiler, but please

DO NOT THIS CLICK LINK IF YOU HAVE NOT YET SOLVED AND YOU ARE SHUNNING JOSH'S NUDGES.

https://www.gocomics.com/theargylesweater/2021/07/08
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Abide

Post by Abide »

So much thematic content here!
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
MaineMarge

Post by MaineMarge »

I was in Neverland til the Saturday nudges, but now looking for my cat out in the garden.
Another great job, Josh. Thanks!
DDF2BB4C-6D34-4B7E-B8D1-D01505EB4844.jpeg
Dearest peony 6/3/21
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

I think I have the answer....needed all the nudges.
Cynthia
madhatter5

Post by madhatter5 »

Solution, courtesy of DrTom:

Forever Young.png
https://pandorasblocks.org/crosswords-for-cancer
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Josh,

All of your puzzles are fun to do but I think that this was one of your best. Very clever, and LOVED the MUGGLE reference!
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

From Ogden Nash:

The Guppy

Whales have calves,
Cats have kittens,
Bears have cubs,
Bats have bittens,
Swans have cygnets,
Seals have puppies,
But guppies just have little guppies.
Jay