MEOW #41: Get A Life

A weekly meta crossword constructed by forum member Josh (aka madhatter5), these creative puzzles feature metas that trend toward the difficult side. Puzzles are posted in a new thread every Wednesday, with the solution appearing the following Tuesday.
User avatar
Dplass
Posts: 843
Joined: Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:09 am
Location: Long Island, New York

#41

Post by Dplass »

RPardoe wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:44 am
Dplass wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:37 am My puzzle didn't have 67 or 68 down clues. Intentional?
I suspect not as I see the clues in both the PDF and the PUZ file in the OP.
What format are you using that doesn't have these clues.
Puz.
User avatar
RPardoe
Posts: 582
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:09 pm
Location: Houston, TX

#42

Post by RPardoe »

Dplass wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:48 am
RPardoe wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:44 am
Dplass wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:37 am My puzzle didn't have 67 or 68 down clues. Intentional?
I suspect not as I see the clues in both the PDF and the PUZ file in the OP.
What format are you using that doesn't have these clues.
Puz.
I see both clues in AcrossLite - both on the iPad and on my iMac.

67. Baby yeti shoe size
68. RRRRR


So have no idea why you aren't seeing them.
Meta Nudges - If you need some help, please feel free to PM me with what you have tried and where you are stuck.
Cryptic Puzzles - If you are stuck or want to understand how to parse a clue, please feel free to PM me.
User avatar
Dplass
Posts: 843
Joined: Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:09 am
Location: Long Island, New York

#43

Post by Dplass »

RPardoe wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:54 am
Dplass wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:48 am
RPardoe wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:44 am
I suspect not as I see the clues in both the PDF and the PUZ file in the OP.
What format are you using that doesn't have these clues.
Puz.
I see both clues in AcrossLite - both on the iPad and on my iMac.

67. Baby yeti shoe size
68. RRRRR


So have no idea why you aren't seeing them.
Those are my 68 and 69 ACROSS. And I don't even understand why RRRRR is "IES"...
User avatar
RPardoe
Posts: 582
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:09 pm
Location: Houston, TX

#44

Post by RPardoe »

Dplass wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:56 am
RPardoe wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:54 am
Dplass wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:48 am

Puz.
I see both clues in AcrossLite - both on the iPad and on my iMac.

67. Baby yeti shoe size
68. RRRRR


So have no idea why you aren't seeing them.
Those are my 68 and 69 ACROSS. And I don't even understand why RRRRR is "IES"...
Sounds like a corrupted download then.

The acrosses are:

66. 2013 Spike Jonze dreamed (HER)
71. "-y" + "-y" (IES)


71A can be explained as the pluralization of Y words (1 LADY, 2 LADIES or 1 -Y, 1 -IES) in general.
Meta Nudges - If you need some help, please feel free to PM me with what you have tried and where you are stuck.
Cryptic Puzzles - If you are stuck or want to understand how to parse a clue, please feel free to PM me.
boharr
Posts: 1142
Joined: Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:57 am
Location: Westchester, NY

#45

Post by boharr »

RPardoe wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:02 am
Dplass wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:56 am
RPardoe wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:54 am
I see both clues in AcrossLite - both on the iPad and on my iMac.

67. Baby yeti shoe size
68. RRRRR


So have no idea why you aren't seeing them.
Those are my 68 and 69 ACROSS. And I don't even understand why RRRRR is "IES"...
Sounds like a corrupted download then.

The acrosses are:

66. 2013 Spike Jonze dreamed (HER)
71. "-y" + "-y" (IES)


71A can be explained as the pluralization of Y words (1 LADY, 2 LADIES or 1 -Y, 1 -IES) in general.
My puz file was complete.
User avatar
Dplass
Posts: 843
Joined: Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:09 am
Location: Long Island, New York

#46

Post by Dplass »

RPardoe wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:02 am
Dplass wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:56 am
RPardoe wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:54 am
I see both clues in AcrossLite - both on the iPad and on my iMac.

67. Baby yeti shoe size
68. RRRRR


So have no idea why you aren't seeing them.
Those are my 68 and 69 ACROSS. And I don't even understand why RRRRR is "IES"...
Sounds like a corrupted download then.

The acrosses are:

66. 2013 Spike Jonze dreamed (HER)
71. "-y" + "-y" (IES)


71A can be explained as the pluralization of Y words (1 LADY, 2 LADIES or 1 -Y, 1 -IES) in general.
Yeah it must have been corrupted. But either kudos or razzes to Alphacross (the Android .puz file app that I use) for still letting me fill in the puzzle!
woozy
Posts: 126
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:40 am

#47

Post by woozy »

Achilles pairs with the Tortoise; and the Crab with his Genes.
User avatar
whimsy
Posts: 542
Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:51 am
Location: Hopkinton MA

#48

Post by whimsy »

True confessions-- while test solving, I never even saw the floating rectangles with the periphery message -- the Saturday nudges clued me in to that! I just noticed the 4 letters, remembered my HS bio, didn't even consider the pairing issue, appreciated them squiggling (serious scientific term) down the middle and decided it was a go! :)
User avatar
BarbaraK
Posts: 1339
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:37 pm
Location: Virginia

#49

Post by BarbaraK »

I saw the double helix and knew the answer was DNA.

But I vaguely remembered that the amino acids also have single letter abbreviations. So I couldn’t resist decoding to see if that spelled anything. No joy.
User avatar
ajk
Posts: 186
Joined: Mon Dec 21, 2020 4:22 pm
Location: Colorado

#50

Post by ajk »

lol seems like one I should have gotten given that I teach organic for a living. OTOH, the mispairing probably hurt me more because of that. :lol: :lol:
Post Reply