"Subpar" - April 25, 2021

Available by emailing a request to PandorasBlocksWMC[at]gmail[dot]com, these meta puzzles are distributed by email every Sunday. Pandora's Blocks crosswords are intended to spread the popularity of meta crosswords, however, they are not just for beginners and run the gamut it terms of difficulty.
Cinny

Post by Cinny »

Dino me! 🦕 Another fun puzzle from Will.
Cindy Heisler
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

1. I have a good idea of the answer, though I had to Google my way out of my ignorance. But I still don't see the mechanism for the final part. It's probably nt a good feeling for the constructor when someone can get the answer without seeing all the clever stuff that has gone into the puzzle.

2. My original idea was wrong though plausible and even defensible. It was based on something that was in the puzzle that Will didn't realize was there.

3. I seem to recall a Mike Shenk that used a similar, though not identical, mechanism.
Jay
ReB

Post by ReB »

Dino me - after a few misfires, I went back to the basic meta principles, and that pointed me to the road to Jurassic Park. Quite enjoyable.
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

One word in the grid had a meaning I, but not Will, was unaware of. My ignorance made it harder for me to solve the meta.
Another word in the grid had a meaning that Will, but not I, was unaware of. My use of this meaning led me down a rabbit hole, making it harder for me to solve the meta.
Doesn't seem fair.
Jay
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

After bugging poor Will I am finally out of the box. I had the right idea, but wrong direction. I blame Mike Shenk.
Heidi
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

DINO ME! Just right for me. I had to think about it but was able to solve it on my own after some pondering. I wasted a lot of time looking for the CONDOR.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
KayW

Post by KayW »

:sauropod: pending confirmation. Fun and clever meta, and very google-able for someone like me who knows nothing about the topic.

EDIT: confirmed!
Last edited by KayW on Sat May 01, 2021 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
FKelly

Post by FKelly »

Just saw Pandora mentioned else where. Dino is out of Jurassic Park.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Nice to hear this clever puzzle recognized on the Fill Me In podcast this week. Hope it brings some new Pandorans.