"The Lovers, The Dreamers, and Me" - April 11, 2021

Available by emailing a request to PandorasBlocksWMC[at]gmail[dot]com, these meta puzzles are distributed by email every Sunday. Pandora's Blocks crosswords are intended to spread the popularity of meta crosswords, however, they are not just for beginners and run the gamut it terms of difficulty.
MamaE

Post by MamaE »

MamaE wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:48 pm Ok - I have what I think is 85% of the meta solution....hoping to make that last leap soon!
Got it! Fun puzzle - glad I’m old or I may not have made the final connection!
- Just puzzling it out here in Delmarva :D
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

ChrisKochmanski wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:20 am Fairly confident of my answer. Awaiting word from Will.

EDIT: Oops! Per Will, that ain't it. Thought it was too easy. Back at it!
Now I'm there. Though it took nudges -- uh, make that shoves -- to get me to the finish line.

Quite a puzzle!
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Submitted and awaiting confirmation. If I’m correct I’ll claim geezer status!

Confirmed! Great meta!
Last edited by hcbirker on Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Heidi
MamaE

Post by MamaE »

MamaE wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:02 pm
MamaE wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:48 pm Ok - I have what I think is 85% of the meta solution....hoping to make that last leap soon!
Got it! Fun puzzle - glad I’m old or I may not have made the final connection!
Edited to add, missed one really cool aspect of puzzle, but Will explained it to me. Got the meta despite my cluelessness due to previously mentioned oldness LOL!
- Just puzzling it out here in Delmarva :D
mpmanning

Post by mpmanning »

I've sent my reply in - first time for this meta weekly. I'm guessing that I'll know after I check the leaderboard tomorrow morning. Off to join the Dreamers...
BrennerTJ

Post by BrennerTJ »

Got carried away with googling after the first step, back on track with redirect - awaiting confirmation but confident that all the pieces fit.
-Tamara
mpmanning

Post by mpmanning »

I am #24 on the PBWMC Leaderboard! Yay! While some may allege a "geezer" effect, I will only admit to a GOOGLE effect! Onward and Upward!
Cinny

Post by Cinny »

Solved -- after submitting two incorrect answers (I honestly thought I had it the second time), I finally asked Will for a nudge. Seems so obvious now. I don't know why I didn't see the last step. I'll chalk it up to old age!!
Great puzzle despite my struggles.
Cindy Heisler
Schmeel

Post by Schmeel »

Dino me!
I didn't have time to work it out fully but somehow I deduced what the answer should be and what the steps to get there should be. I still don't know what the methodology is yet - but my answer was correct! I'll try to look at it again later.
Cap'n Rick

Post by Cap'n Rick »

Got the first step right away, but that second step eluded me forever. Needed some help from Will (again), but I think I found the dino.
Ahoy! Check out my meta puzzles here! Check out "Smooth Sailing Sundays" here!
Dannyvee

Post by Dannyvee »

Dino'd
I had a guess after step one that turned out to be correct. Very nice meta once I found the mechanism.
I can be found in Sheridan, NY, veejaying. (8)
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

I had heard of three of the performers -- I would have heard of them even if I didn't see them all the time in crossword puzzles. But I was totally ignorant of the rest and had to Google everything -- more like doing research than solving a puzzle. Plus, not knowing any of that music made me feel really old. When Pandora has a meta based on Gershwin, Kern, Rodgers, Arlen, et al., wake me from my afternoon nap.
Jay
boharr

Post by boharr »

Bird Lives wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:34 pm I had heard of three of the performers -- I would have heard of them even if I didn't see them all the time in crossword puzzles. But I was totally ignorant of the rest and had to Google everything -- more like doing research than solving a puzzle. Plus, not knowing any of that music made me feel really old. When Pandora has a meta based on Gershwin, Kern, Rodgers, Arlen, et al., wake me from my afternoon nap.
I have to agree that this one felt too much like doing home-work research.
Abide

Post by Abide »

Bird Lives wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:34 pm But I was totally ignorant of the rest and had to Google everything -- more like doing research than solving a puzzle.
See, I went the other way. I watched the YouTube video of every theme entry, which made me really appreciate three of them.
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
boneskull

Post by boneskull »

Great puzzle for my premier 'dino' and debut on the PB leaderboards!

Very excited that I only needed Google once for the fill, definitely a grid that played to my strengths and I instantly saw the theme. I did end up needing a nudge for the mechanic but the final connection was excellent.
ricky

Post by ricky »

Are you allowed to submit more than one guess? I have part one, and a strong suspicion about the answer, but the connection between the two isn't fully there yet for me.
Check out the meta challenge at Lexicon Devil

Latest puzzle: "This Place Looks Familiar," March 7, 2024

Deadline: Tuesday, March 12, 2024, 12 PM EST
C=64

Post by C=64 »

C=64 wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:00 pm Post-grid, mid-meta status: After not getting it the last two weeks, I am enjoying this one! I did the grid in Crosshare on my phone and took a screenshot and drew messy stuff on it, but I think it's time to transfer my work to paper so I can see everything better. *cracks knuckles*
I got the first part and asked Will for a yes/no confirmation nudge on my attempted second step, and it was a no. DNF.
Anita

Post by Anita »

I'm halfway there. Can anyone please provide a nudge?
KayW

Post by KayW »

I got enough of the puzzle to make a guess at the answer, which was correct! And I am impressed with what I found so far of the mechanism. Still :shock: :shock: :shock: to backsolve the final step...
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

ricky wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:38 pm Are you allowed to submit more than one guess? I have part one, and a strong suspicion about the answer, but the connection between the two isn't fully there yet for me.
Yes, Will is very friendly and understanding.