"The Lovers, The Dreamers, and Me" - April 11, 2021

Available by emailing a request to PandorasBlocksWMC[at]gmail[dot]com, these meta puzzles are distributed by email every Sunday. Pandora's Blocks crosswords are intended to spread the popularity of meta crosswords, however, they are not just for beginners and run the gamut it terms of difficulty.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Wait, I thought the deadline was 8 AM this morning? That's what the calendar says. I stopped trying. Uh, yeah, that's why I didn't solve it.
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

Yeah when IS the deadline? I just submitted my answer (wed evening). Awaiting.
Update: WRONG. And it was the perfect answer too.

Have received the follow up hint on what to do next, but I don’t know what to do with it. Prolly giving up.

Also - where is this leaderboard people speak of? And the explanations of the solutions? Do those only come via email? All I see on the site is the list of puzzles.
Update: FOUND the link to the leader board in our trusty calendar! (Thanks guys). Do the weekly explanations come in the weekly email?(I’m brand new to this puzzle so I haven’t received a Sunday email yet).
Last edited by HeadinHome on Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
The other Wendy. :roll:
AnswerPfinder

Post by AnswerPfinder »

Dplass wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:08 pm
ricky wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:38 pm Are you allowed to submit more than one guess? I have part one, and a strong suspicion about the answer, but the connection between the two isn't fully there yet for me.
Yes, Will is very friendly and understanding.
Yes! I originally had a one-answer limit, but I retracted that because the goal is not to exclude people who don't get it right on the first try, but instead to encourage people to keep trying if their first instinct isn't right. So there are no limits on the number of answers you can submit!
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
AnswerPfinder

Post by AnswerPfinder »

Al Sisti wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:10 pm Wait, I thought the deadline was 8 AM this morning? That's what the calendar says. I stopped trying. Uh, yeah, that's why I didn't solve it.
That's right - the deadline for you to be included in the monthly mug drawings is Wednesday morning at 8am eastern time.

If you submit after that, I will still include you on the leaderboard up until the point when I release the solution (the following Sunday at 8am eastern time).

Hope this helps to clarify! Please let me know if you ever have any other questions!
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Wow, complex puzzle for us less musically inclined. Still, a very clever mechanism and it must have been a bear to create. So I applaud the constructor and thank Will for a nudge he provided that finally got me home.

So, dino me, I have gone around the block(s)

T

EDIT: Please do not take this to mean that I was being blocked (by anything except my own ineptitude), I was trying to be "cute" and include "Pandora's Blocks" in my post. I will probably do that in the future in some manner or another since the other METAs have an associated title that is tied somehow to their name or ethic.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

I'm sorry it's taken so long to say this, but this is one incredible meta! I did figure out it was a rainbow theme, and I did try putting the themers in ROYGBIV order... but *If* -- and I do mean "if" -- it ever crossed my mind to to use the ROYGIV order to index into the title of the album, I would have nixed that as being absolutely impossible. How can you take a "red" title and take the 1st letter of that, then the 2nd letter of the "orange" title, etc., and actually come up with a word??? And to have that word be "eclipse," as in Dark Side of the Moon, with the prism-formed rainbow?? I'm sorry, that simply was impossible. Unbelievable construction, and David Gold deserves HUGE kudos for this!
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

AnswerPfinder wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:40 pm
ricky wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:38 pm Are you allowed to submit more than one guess? I have part one, and a strong suspicion about the answer, but the connection between the two isn't fully there yet for me.
Yes! I originally had a one-answer limit, but I retracted that because the goal is not to exclude people who don't get it right on the first try, but instead to encourage people to keep trying if their first instinct isn't right. So there are no limits on the number of answers you can submit!
And, I might add, Will always answers emails with a dollop of cheer. Kudos to you for your supportive attitude!
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

Dplass wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:39 am

And, I might add, Will always answers emails with a dollop of cheer. Kudos to you for your supportive attitude!
I agree. I don't know Will personally, but based on his emails, I'm assuming he's pretty much the nicest guy in the world.
boharr

Post by boharr »

FrankieHeck wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:36 am

I agree. I don't know Will personally, but based on his emails, I'm assuming he's pretty much the nicest guy in the world.
Will always goes a step beyond and doesn't seem to get exasperated by all us ninnies.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

boharr wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:06 am

Will always goes a step beyond and doesn't seem to get exasperated by all us ninnies.
Agree! This ninny bought Will & a couple of collaborators coffee. Glad to do so.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

He often shows up at our Zoom meetings... I'd say you've characterized him pretty well!
AnswerPfinder

Post by AnswerPfinder »

Al Sisti wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:25 am

He often shows up at our Zoom meetings... I'd say you've characterized him pretty well!
Y'all are too kind! I'm really happy to be part of such a fun and welcoming community! Thanks to all of you for making me feel like a million bucks!
C=64

Post by C=64 »

I just walked into the Oregon Convention Center for my second Pfizer shot, and Eclipse was blaring over the loudspeakers. Pfink Pfloyd!

EDIT: Upon reflection, it was actually Brain Damage. I think I hear some Skynyrd now.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

C=64 wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:22 am I just walked into the Oregon Convention Center for my second Pfizer shot, and Eclipse was blaring over the loudspeakers. Pfink Pfloyd!

EDIT: Upon reflection, it was actually Brain Damage. I think I hear some Skynyrd now.
Not sure I'd like to be hearing Brain Damage as a backdrop for my shots...