"Out of the Spotlight" - February 14, 2021

Available by emailing a request to PandorasBlocksWMC[at]gmail[dot]com, these meta puzzles are distributed by email every Sunday. Pandora's Blocks crosswords are intended to spread the popularity of meta crosswords, however, they are not just for beginners and run the gamut it terms of difficulty.
TPS

Post by TPS »

Just got to this one - No clue - No idea even where to begin.
Flananigans

Post by Flananigans »

Dino me! Another fun one Will!
Thanks
AnswerPfinder

Post by AnswerPfinder »

Thanks so much for the kind words and support! I'm really happy with how this meta turned out (although a bit less so about the fill). I'll stop by again on Wednesday to explain the reasoning behind the meta answer for those that aren't quite sure! Thank you all for participating!
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

I got it, thanks to nudges from Will.
Cynthia
Cap'n Rick

Post by Cap'n Rick »

Same here. Had to get a little help from Will on the last step, but I'm dino-ed.
Ahoy! Check out my meta puzzles here! Check out "Smooth Sailing Sundays" here!
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

Waiting to hear but pretty sure --
Just to mix it up a little --
Capturedifferent.JPG
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

I got it finally with a Will prod, clever finish and one I got right without even knowing I had it. Great puzzle as usual (I'm good as long as I don't have to "walk" anywhere!).

"Life is like a box of metas, you never know what you are gonna get, solve Forrest, solve..
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Dave C

Post by Dave C »

I was on the right track, but couldn't put it all together without help from Will. It was clever.
AnswerPfinder

Post by AnswerPfinder »

Answer explanation in the spoiler box below!

The answer I was looking for was ZIP YOUR LIP.

Start by looking for BROKEN BONES as hinted at by the clue for 57-Down. There are 5 entries in the grid that contain the letters of BONE - with some other letters interspersed between. Taking the letters between the "bone fragments" yields the phrase ON THE DL, which makes sense since the DL is the "disabled list" which is where an injured baseball player might be listed while he's temporarily "Out of the Spotlight".

However, the phrase ON THE DL can also be used in reference to a piece of information, as in "Keep it on the DL" meaning "Don't tell anyone else about this" with the DL in this case standing for "down low". If you look for all of the instances in the grid of the letters DL together, the letters directly above those pairs ( or "on" those DLs) spell out the answer ZIP YOUR LIP.

So the puzzle mechanism took a little pivot in theme playing on both meanings of the phrase ON THE DL. Phew, that was a mouthful! Hope this helps better explain my choice of answer for those who were unsure!

Thanks everyone for solving! Got some really positive feedback on this one (even more so than usual!) Going to try to do some more two-step puzzles in the future.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

I come with hat in hat -- I was wrong -- well, half wrong.
I did not Follow Directions! Rap on the knuckles with the ruler! :P
Rather than appreciating both metaphor themes, I got stuck on the baseball one and translated DL to Day to Day.
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

I got part one, but couldn't find anything in the grid that would lead to the answer. That's probably because I misinterpreted the prompt and was trying to come up with a three-word phrase where all three words rhymed. Then, Chick Corea died, and Iwhat go stuck in my head was his "Tones for Joan's Bones." Three rhyming words but there's a fourth non-rhymer, plus I strongly doubted that Will would have heard of it. Gret tune though.
Jay
ReB

Post by ReB »

More complex than I was expecting. I got as far as noticing the three words starting with BO and assuming that was significant (because of BONE), but didn't take notice that they all also contained an N and and E as well. I don't think I would have ever figured out step two in any case. Very clever.
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

I got this one with a LOT of help. After reading Will's summary I realize that I had the wrong answer in the grid for 57D. Somehow I had PINE instead of BONE. I thought it was a double meaning with broken bat and broken SPINE and spent tons of time looking for other words that I could add an S to. 20A, 21A and 23A convinced me that I was on the right path. I hung on to broken spine even after nudges helped me see broken bones as the key to solving. This meta is much cleaner with the correct grid entry!

I seem to continue to cling too hard and long to ideas that keep me from solving! At least I am starting to recognize that I am doing so. Maybe that observation is the path to enlightenment?
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
TPS

Post by TPS »

After seeing the answer yesterday - this was a never for me. I think I have learned my lesson with the PB - If it is higher than a 3-4 difficulty I shouldn't even bother with it :lol: