"Similar Styles" - September 24, 2021

Available by emailing a request to PandorasBlocksWMC[at]gmail[dot]com, these meta puzzles are distributed by email every Sunday. Pandora's Blocks crosswords are intended to spread the popularity of meta crosswords, however, they are not just for beginners and run the gamut it terms of difficulty.
ReB

Post by ReB »

Nicely constructed and enjoyable. A confidence builder after whiffing on the WFJ and Gaffney puzzles.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

I’m out of the box after a nudge from Will. I’d skipped the first step and was trying to make it harder (and less elegant) than it actually is.
woozy

Post by woozy »

woozy wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:57 pm I'm wondering... wasanyone who got this able to get it without "flailing". I got it through "guided flailing" but I wonder if I'm missing something.

PM me (for obvious reasons) if you knew something I didn't.
Apparently it was gettable without "guided flailing". I did get it and get it correctly. But I flailed in a way I needn't have.
Latest meta: Never forget... and never mind (A WSJ retaliation)
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

I got it; confirmed on Crosshare. But, it was only because Cinny gave me nudge after nudge! I've been flailing for 2 days. I'd like to know how this could have been solved without all the flailing.
Cynthia
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

Flailing about with others. I got step one, but don't know what to do with it. On my way to Symphony Chorus rehearsal. Maybe Mozart will spark the inspiration I need to find the answer.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

I can't even see step one!
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
Cap'n Rick

Post by Cap'n Rick »

I believe I have the first step too, but my second step also involves flailing. A nice nudge would be appreciated.

Update: Thanks to a helpful nudge from @boharr I have successfully ascended the tricky 2nd step.
Ahoy! Check out my meta puzzles here! Check out "Smooth Sailing Sundays" here!
KayW

Post by KayW »

I see ...something... but not sure if it's step 1 or a red herring. My meta mojo still AWOL so I'll wait for posted nudges, reveal, or post-enlightenment. Whatever comes first.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

I saw PUTIN TOPO SIT ION but I couldn't figure out how to find other entries that formed a phrase short of brute-force trying everything, which I didn't want to do, so DNF. Now I'm chagrined but impressed by the real solving path that I didn't see!