"Oh, What a Tangled Web..."

A weekly meta crossword created by members of the forum. Difficulty levels will vary. Hints are usually available starting Wednesday, and solutions are posted on Sunday.
joequavis

Post by joequavis »

Al Sisti wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 2:42 pm
joequavis wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 2:15 pm
Al Sisti wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 2:14 pm

Gaylord Perry vs Tracy Stallard. We all know what Gaylord Perry is famous for... but what about Tracy Stallard?
I think Eric Show was the Tracy Stallard of my generation. "Here comes the 2-1 pitch..."
Wow... I just read this article. Just wow...
whoa...thanks for sharing. How sad.
hoover

Post by hoover »

As usual, finished the grid handily, but hit a brick wall after that. I'll keep staring at it.
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

Just printed this to work on while having tires put on the truck. At a glance, it looks like a tough grid...
Anita

Post by Anita »

Finished grid without issue. Still staring in hopes of seeing the meta.
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Off the couch!

I'm still chuckling at 23D -- but furious with Al for 67A. One of my favorite movies! To me it's some kind of weird masterpiece; I've seen it many times. So what does that say about me? (Maybe I don't want to know!)

Sorry that I came to this late and missed the baseball chatter while it was hot. As a lifelong Detroit Tigers fan, I remember Eric Show, Mark Thurmond, and Dave Dravecky from the 1984 World Series, wherein the Tigers thrashed the Padres quite soundly. (Remember Kirk Gibson's big blast off Goose Gossage? Oh, those were the days. And how about that electric Tiger Stadium vibe? What a place! For we Michiganders, this sports moment is as iconic or more than Gibson's '88 World Series homer for the Dodgers off Dennis Eckersley.) Sad to read about Show. Even back in '84, we Tigers fans were conscious of some strangeness around those three pitchers. I had forgotten what came later.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Bob cruise director wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 3:24 pm Submitted - awaiting confirmation

Great grid and meta
Confirmed - great grid and meta
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
joequavis

Post by joequavis »

ChrisKochmanski wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 5:07 pm Off the couch!

I'm still chuckling at 23D -- but furious with Al for 67A. One of my favorite movies! To me it's some kind of weird masterpiece; I've seen it many times. So what does that say about me? (Maybe I don't want to know!)

Sorry that I came to this late and missed the baseball chatter while it was hot. As a lifelong Detroit Tigers fan, I remember Eric Show, Mark Thurmond, and Dave Dravecky from the 1984 World Series, wherein the Tigers thrashed the Padres quite soundly. (Remember Kirk Gibson's big blast off Goose Gossage? Oh, those were the days. And how about that electric Tiger Stadium vibe? What a place! For we Michiganders, this sports moment is as iconic or more than Gibson's '88 World Series homer for the Dodgers off Dennis Eckersley.) Sad to read about Show. Even back in '84, we Tigers fans were conscious of some strangeness around those three pitchers. I had forgotten what came later.
My memory of the 1984 World Series as a kid was listening to the broadcast on the radio in the car after a violin recital. I was almost 8 years old. It was the end of game 5, and instead of driving home, my dad and I sat in the car listening to the last minutes of the game. I distinctly remember the announcer talking about fans storming the field in the aftermath of the game, tearing up the turf. Just went back and watched the video of Gibson's HR. Pretty cool...
Dannyvee

Post by Dannyvee »

My brain hurts after that excellent meta. Nice job Al!
I can be found in Sheridan, NY, veejaying. (8)
ChrisKochmanski

[/quote]

My memory of the 1984 World Series as a kid was listening to the broadcast on the radio in the car after a violin recital. I was almost 8 years old. It was the end of game 5, and instead of driving home, my dad and I sat in the car listening to the last minutes of the game. I distinctly remember the announcer talking about fans storming the field in the aftermath of the game, tearing up the turf. Just went back and watched the video of Gibson's HR. Pretty cool...
[/quote]

Well, the Tiger fans' behavior in those days was inexcusable. But the Tigers were a big thing! In recent years, I haven't seen nearly the interest in our regional sports teams. Still some college football and college basketball mania, but even that is much quieter than in the past.
ChrisKochmanski

I'm happy to say that Al PMed to assure that he is AT LEAST as rabid a fan of Plan 9 from Outer Space as I am.

Al's offhand knowledge of the movie is way beyond mine.

Phew! All is right in the world. I can sleep soundly tonight.
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

Confirmed. What a fun puzzle!
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

Fun puzzle, thanks!

No idea whatsoever that this is even a meta.
KayW

Post by KayW »

Off the couch...
CatOffCouch.PNG

...maybe, pending confirmation.

EDIT: I was most of the way there, but needed a push from Al to completely dislodge myself.
Last edited by KayW on Mon May 17, 2021 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Hector

Post by Hector »

ChrisKochmanski wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 5:52 pm
[/quote]

Well, the Tiger fans' behavior in those days was inexcusable. But the Tigers were a big thing! In recent years, I haven't seen nearly the interest in our regional sports teams. Still some college football and college basketball mania, but even that is much quieter than in the past.
[/quote]

In the 90s, game day in Ann Arbor was a circus. Couldn't get to my place of work even if I'd wanted to. Friends made big bucks letting people park on their lawns.
Hector

Post by Hector »

ChrisKochmanski wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 5:52 pm
In the 90s, game day in Ann Arbor was a circus. Couldn't get to my place of work even if I'd wanted to. Friends made big bucks letting people park on their lawns.
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

ChrisKochmanski wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 5:54 pm I'm happy to say that Al PMed to assure that he is AT LEAST as rabid a fan of Plan 9 from Outer Space as I am.

Chris, have you ever experienced "Manos: The Hands of Fate"? So very, very bad.
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
Abide

Post by Abide »

As I told Al when test-solving, this grid (stacked 11s) is a ridiculously excellent bar which distracted me from finding the meta. Even then I needed Wednesday nudges. But I eventually got there so put my name in the hat for a Blarney CD.
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

Wendy Walker wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 7:23 pm
ChrisKochmanski wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 5:54 pm I'm happy to say that Al PMed to assure that he is AT LEAST as rabid a fan of Plan 9 from Outer Space as I am.

Chris, have you ever experienced "Manos: The Hands of Fate"? So very, very bad.
+1 (or should that be -1?) to Manos. We watched the MST3K version, which was just awesome.
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

Abide wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 7:37 pm As I told Al when test-solving, this grid (stacked 11s) is a ridiculously excellent bar which distracted me from finding the meta. Even then I needed Wednesday nudges. But I eventually got there so put my name in the hat for a Blarney CD.
Kind of a spoiler, innit?
JeanneC

Post by JeanneC »

Submitted and awaiting confirmation. My “Following Directions” weekend was a disaster. Hoping for a better result on this puzzle!
“I cannot and will not cut my conscience to fit this year’s fashions”. Lillian Hellman