"Oh, What a Tangled Web..."

A weekly meta crossword created by members of the forum. Difficulty levels will vary. Hints are usually available starting Wednesday, and solutions are posted on Sunday.
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Confirmed off the couch. Still looking for a missing piece though. Still I liked it!
Heidi
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

Wow, this was impressive! I think I'm off the couch.

Edit: @hcbirker, something got lost in my couch cushions too...
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Hector wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 7:17 pm
ChrisKochmanski wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 5:52 pm
Well, the Tiger fans' behavior in those days was inexcusable. But the Tigers were a big thing! In recent years, I haven't seen nearly the interest in our regional sports teams. Still some college football and college basketball mania, but even that is much quieter than in the past.
In the 90s, game day in Ann Arbor was a circus. Couldn't get to my place of work even if I'd wanted to. Friends made big bucks letting people park on their lawns.
I may have spoken too abruptly. Once past Covid, if the teams here are at all competitive, I'm sure the fervor will return, especially for the U-M and MSU football teams, where the fandom runs hottest. But sports-wise, it HAS been unusually quiet around here recently. In my semi-retirement, I do some freelance copywriting, and my main client, a creative services and marketing firm, often assigns me ads for a small chain of stores that sells "Go Blue" merchandise. Sales for them have been down in recent years, even outside of the pandemic. But, again, is it mainly because of a disappointing football team? And not because of overall declining interest in our local sports? Probably. It wouldn't take much to relight the fire, I'm sure. (Michigan basketball has been much better, but these stores never sell as much for the teams other than football.)
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Wendy Walker wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 7:23 pm
ChrisKochmanski wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 5:54 pm I'm happy to say that Al PMed to assure that he is AT LEAST as rabid a fan of Plan 9 from Outer Space as I am.

Chris, have you ever experienced "Manos: The Hands of Fate"? So very, very bad.
No, but my younger son, a fellow devotee of bad horror and sci-fi movies, also swears by its badness.

I hope this guy shows it: https://svengoolie.com/ A couple of weeks ago, Sven had on "From Hell It Came", from 1957 or so, about a rubbery-looking tree that walks (very slowly) and kills people who stand and scream instead of run away from it, and I'd have to say it's the worst thing I've seen on his show in years.
Tom Mueller

Post by Tom Mueller »

Confirmed and off he couch, but with reservations since I didn't exactly find it the right way. I am still having a problem with one of the components that is making me absolutely crazy. There is an element I have not found. Where can I find it? Al, Help!
KayW

Post by KayW »

ChrisKochmanski wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 10:21 pm
ChrisKochmanski wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 5:54 pm I'm happy to say that Al PMed to assure that he is AT LEAST as rabid a fan of Plan 9 from Outer Space as I am.

No, but my younger son, a fellow devotee of bad horror and sci-fi movies, also swears by its badness.

I hope this guy shows it: https://svengoolie.com/ A couple of weeks ago, Sven had on "From Hell It Came", from 1957 or so, about a rubbery-looking tree that walks (very slowly) and kills people who stand and scream instead of run away from it, and I'd have to say it's the worst thing I've seen on his show in years.
I grew up watching Sven! And one of my college friends dated "son of Sven" for a while. I didn't realize he was still on the air; I'll have to check that out.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

My husband found the missing piece!
Heidi
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Tom Mueller wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 10:27 pm Confirmed and off he couch, but with reservations since I didn't exactly find it the right way. I am still having a problem with one of the components that is making me absolutely crazy. There is an element I have not found. Where can I find it? Al, Help!
If it's any consolation, it's the one that's given people the most problem. But it's there... it's there.
Beth Tyrpin

Post by Beth Tyrpin »

🛋
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

KayW wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 10:35 pm
ChrisKochmanski wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 10:21 pm

I grew up watching Sven! And one of my college friends dated "son of Sven" for a while. I didn't realize he was still on the air; I'll have to check that out.
I record Sven every week, so I'm looking forward (?) to watching this one. He was doing repeats during the pandemic.
JeanneC

Post by JeanneC »

Off the couch. The same one I sit on every Saturday night watching Svengoolie and Star Trek TOS episodes. I saw From Hell It Came a few weeks ago. Hopefully, it goes back there as well. Some of them are so bad you can’t stop laughing!
“I cannot and will not cut my conscience to fit this year’s fashions”. Lillian Hellman
Dave C

Post by Dave C »

I'm off the couch and confirmed, but I have not yet found the missing piece.
RPardoe

Post by RPardoe »

Al Sisti wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 11:03 pm
Tom Mueller wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 10:27 pm Confirmed and off he couch, but with reservations since I didn't exactly find it the right way. I am still having a problem with one of the components that is making me absolutely crazy. There is an element I have not found. Where can I find it? Al, Help!
If it's any consolation, it's the one that's given people the most problem. But it's there... it's there.
Having found all the pieces - I can confirm it is there.
It isn't a figment of Al's imagination.
Schmeel

Post by Schmeel »

Off the couch.
I found all the pieces and then some.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Schmeel wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 9:13 am Off the couch.
Okay, let's call that extra/unintended piece "the grade I earned for not fully bulletproofing the puzzle." And Schmeel is the only one who found it so far.
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

I initially had one missing piece and an extra piece or two. Fortunately my son was home to straighten things out.
boharr

Post by boharr »

Al Sisti wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 9:41 am
Okay, let's call that extra/unintended piece "the grade I earned for not fully bulletproofing the puzzle." And Schmeel is the only one who found it so far.
I have a candidate. PM'd Al.
EDIT: Confirmed
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Hopefully I have not been caught in Al's web....Submitted with hope, confident but not 100%

Waiting for a signal to steal home from my perch on the couch.

EDIT: Released from the couch, DrTom runs for the home plate (well maybe for the home wine cellar but it's all very close)

Nothing like an Al Sisti challenge to get your week started!
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
minimuggle

Post by minimuggle »

Really enjoyed the grid and all of the comments in the clues...but still stuck in the web.
BethA

Post by BethA »

Off the couch! 🛋

Enjoyed working through the grid, liked seeing all of the science and engineering content!