"Oh, What a Tangled Web..."

A weekly meta crossword created by members of the forum. Difficulty levels will vary. Hints are usually available starting Wednesday, and solutions are posted on Sunday.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Well, I have to say I am glad I had enough to get MIST?KES. I had down OTRE as OTRA so that was my A but Al told me no. AHA, I said, the greenhouse gas does make the OCEAN warmer but only because it makes the ATMOSPHERE warmer, there is my A. Imagine my surprise today when I see that neither of those were right. I even checked MAINE to make sure it is the Easternmost, and Google tells me it is, well actually says it has the Easternmost geographic center, so slightly twisted but still an excellent puzzle. I got it after a while, and particularly when Al said that the Southernmost Great Lake was Huron (I live in Michigan for years and I KNEW that wasn't right). Then when he misquoted Scott (a favorite quote of mine) I thought "OK, Mr. Sisti I think I see your game.

That said, before I caught on I had quite an elaborate "Tom Solve" going on as I tried to literally "weave a web" thinking that the answer would appear somewhere within one of the segments. I kept connecting midpoints KNOWING that it would soon reveal itself!

GREAT puzzle, and so very Al.
Tangled web.jpg
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

The fact not a single fake fact triggered me what was up means I trust the Internet way too often!! Fun puzzle!
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 89. That's Not Right!
TMart

Post by TMart »

Great meta. I missed the Maine/Alaska one however - When I Googled "Skeletor's nephew" it came up as Prince Adam, so I got my A from there. I did it again today and read further and found out that Prince Adam was actually He-Man. So it seems that when the internet is wrong, it can actually be right at the same time!
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

I almost embarrassed myself halfway through the grid to PM Al and let him know Edison wasn't an AC guy. Apparently I don't know much about horse racing :)
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

I love these comments... and the game that Bird mentioned in Post #83 is called "Um, Actually..." (as in when someone states a fact that isn't true, there's always this guy -- HEY!! Whaddya looking at me for?? -- who says in that snarky tone "Um, actually, Alaska is the easternmost state." More info on the Kickstarter project is here.