Table Talk

A weekly meta crossword created by members of the forum. Difficulty levels will vary. Hints are usually available starting Wednesday, and solutions are posted on Sunday.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

PM sent to Chris by way of submitting my answer. It also fleshes out my partial story during last Tuesday's muggle zoom.
Joe Ross wrote: Subject: Table Talk
cbarbee002 wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 10:51 pm
The title of this puzzle is Table Talk, and the prompt is "something that always gets things going at the table".
Good morning, Chris! Hoping your vacation is going well!

So, long story, I immediately knew the answer was "ANTE" upon reading the title & meta clue, but had to prove it or prove myself an arrogant ssa.

Solved the grid, but ignored the asterisks the first few minutes of perusing, then walked away. Took it up again, last night, remembered the asterisks, found the anagrammed elements, but was too tired & slept. Took it up again, this morning, & put together this, on my phone:

I LOOKED AT THIS FOR 20 MINUTES, REARRANGING 'A-N-T-E-S' EVERY WAY POSSIBLE. A friend then texts, "Solved MMM. Where are you on it?" I'd sent them this same screen shot & suddenly I was being congratulated, BUT I STILL HAD NO CLUE AS TO WHY.

Finally, Gob(sic) smacks me upside my head & I FINALLY realize that the answer is ANTES. I was so far away from recognizing what I had been seeking the entire time, only because it was plural, not singular, as I expected, and because I am not a fan of anagrams.

I ended up proving both: my first hunch was correct and that I am an arrogant ssa (throwing in 'utterly stupid', for good measure).

I may need to find a new hobby.

Your puzzle was EXCELLENT, Chris, and thank you! This solver was not and accepts all blame & then some.

sheesh
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

I have to get my timing better with these - I was thinking end of day Sunday, haha. This puzzle looked great, though, so commendations!
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 89. That's Not Right!
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

Like Eagle1279, I was thinking of the dinner table rather than the poker table and came up with SANTE, which Chris graciously accepted as an answer! Last night we went out for dinner with another couple for the first time in many months, and you can imagine what I said when we clinked our glasses.
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
Abide

Post by Abide »

On my first run through, I forgot about the down asterisk (ARCSINE) and came up with ANTS, which also seemed like a plausible answer for something that gets things going on a table.

@MikeyG the meta calendar will keep you straight on deadlines.
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

Abide wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 5:59 pm On my first run through, I forgot about the down asterisk (ARCSINE) and came up with ANTS, which also seemed like a plausible answer for something that gets things going on a table.

@MikeyG the meta calendar will keep you straight on deadlines.
Amen to that! I'll try to Abide by it more often (I had to.)
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 89. That's Not Right!