Table Talk

A weekly meta crossword created by members of the forum. Difficulty levels will vary. Hints are usually available starting Wednesday, and solutions are posted on Sunday.
Hidden in 3D

Post by Hidden in 3D »

Off the couch, as confirmed by puzzle master, Chris! Thanks for another fun one!
Sara
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

solved
hoover

Post by hoover »

I found 97 cents in the couch cushions!
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

Kinda disgusted with myself that I didn't see this one sooner! Nice puzzle, Chris.
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

Wendy Walker wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 2:50 pm Kinda disgusted with myself that I didn't see this one sooner! Nice puzzle, Chris.
Same here. Wasn't there a MGWCC or WSJ that used a similar mechanism?
Jay
auee89

Post by auee89 »

Got it! Thanks Chris.
Kevin
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Wendy Walker wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 2:50 pm Kinda disgusted with myself that I didn't see this one sooner! Nice puzzle, Chris.
Your mind has to focus on two subjects near and dear to my heart
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

Bob cruise director wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 8:21 pm
Your mind has to focus on two subjects near and dear to my heart
Hi Bob, it turns out there is a funny story here -- will share it after the deadline!
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

Pretty sure I got this one, great puzzle. Funny thing is that the answer was my first guess on seeing the directions, but I didn’t have to backsolve. Nice clear mechanism.in fact, there was an extra bit of elegance IMO that really tied it all up.
cbarbee002

Post by cbarbee002 »

Last spoiler.

#3: To solve the meta, reference will have to be made to a table.
michaelm

Post by michaelm »

Off the couch, without spoilers, as I just got to the MMM this morning.
Very clever example of cross referencing meta and first class AHA!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Great puzzle, unfortunately one that expertise, or rather knowledge, made more difficult. Off the couch, but had to be dragged off. I'll elaborate later about my newest venture into the pool of ultimate complications.

Very nice puzzle Chris
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
JeanneC

Post by JeanneC »

Waiting for confirmation. Made this way too hard for myself. Fun puzzle. Always learning something!
“I cannot and will not cut my conscience to fit this year’s fashions”. Lillian Hellman
JeanneC

Post by JeanneC »

Off the couch!
“I cannot and will not cut my conscience to fit this year’s fashions”. Lillian Hellman
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

There's gotta be one in every crowd --
Captureshrugoncouch.JPG

Been working with the "spoiler" material even prior to Wednesday and still can't seem to get anything to coalesce --
minimuggle

Post by minimuggle »

whimsy wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 2:50 pm There's gotta be one in every crowd --
Captureshrugoncouch.JPG
Been working with the "spoiler" material even prior to Wednesday and still can't seem to get anything to coalesce --
I'm with you Whimsy.... so glad I'm not alone.
minimuggle

Post by minimuggle »

OK, I think I am finally off the couch but I'm quite stiff after not moving for so long. Really creative and fun....Thanks!
cbarbee002

Post by cbarbee002 »

Ok, LOT's of solvers this week. The "reveal" is above. If you go to the periodic table you will find the atomic numbers for each of the elements. Applying those numbers to the grid, in order, yields "ANTES", which gets things going at the table. I know, some of you didn't like the singular / plural difference b/t the prompt and the solution, but in my mind, "antes" is a topic (hence, singular). But I get the criticism.

Thanks to everyone who took a run at this!
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

Well I was at every table but the poker table, I guess. Did try the atomic numbers but didn't get anything I recognized because of my mindset (or lack of the correct one anyway.) Mostly I was into looking for the chemical symbols and found I could make AGAS with silver and arsenic at the end. Tried to make something plausible out of the leading letters; thought there would be some sort of chemical process involving gases and reactions. Some elements were meta(ls) and some were gases. All so I could end up with PASSING GAS. :D

Nice work, Chris -- loved those anagrams!
eagle1279

Post by eagle1279 »

Great puzzle, Chris. I got the anagrams and had the atomic numbers written down (as well as the symbols), but I had them in the wrong order: TANSE. But I was thinking dinner table, not poker, so I would have been scratching my head anyway. Thanks!