Tune Out

A weekly meta crossword created by members of the forum. Difficulty levels will vary. Hints are usually available starting Wednesday, and solutions are posted on Sunday.
Abide

Post by Abide »

Had to backsolve but got there before long. Liked the meta, but having to go to “Reveal” for the NW and SE corners was a little disconcerting.
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
Dannyvee

Post by Dannyvee »

Pretty sure that was the toughest MMM grid that I’ve seen but fun and straightforward meta.
Thanks charbee!
I can be found in Sheridan, NY, veejaying. (8)
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

Submitted, waiting for confirmation of de-couched-ness

Updated: OTC! Thanks for the puzzle!
Last edited by Dplass on Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

A quick bounce off the couch. I found the grid useful. I mean, the enxt time a stranger stops me in the street and asks me where to find the fifth largest accounting/consulting firm, I'm set. I have known 70A since I was 15. Don't get the wrong idea. It's the title of a well-known Sonny Rollins tune. AFAIK, nobody has yet written a lyric for it.
Jay
cbarbee002

Post by cbarbee002 »

Bird Lives wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:37 pm A quick bounce off the couch. I found the grid useful. I mean, the enxt time a stranger stops me in the street and asks me where to find the fifth largest accounting/consulting firm, I'm set. I have known 70A since I was 15. Don't get the wrong idea. It's the title of a well-known Sonny Rollins tune. AFAIK, nobody has yet written a lyric for it.
Having worked with PW (then PwC) for nearly 40 years, that firm is well-known to me (but I get that it may be esoteric to most). To loosely quote Mike Shenk, if it's in the WSJ, it's fair game!
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

cbarbee002 wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:12 pm Having worked with PW (then PwC) for nearly 40 years, that firm is well-known to me (but I get that it may be esoteric to most). To loosely quote Mike Shenk, if it's in the WSJ, it's fair game!
I'm a retired CPA as well, but ended up going the corporate route (PepsiCo / YUM Brands). Any other CPAs / Accountants on this forum?
Anita

Post by Anita »

I am sure we're off the couch. Very nice meta!
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Off of the couch with a photo that will have to wait until after deadline. Thank you, Chris!
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

cbarbee002 wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:12 pm
Bird Lives wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:37 pm A quick bounce off the couch. I found the grid useful. I mean, the enxt time a stranger stops me in the street and asks me where to find the fifth largest accounting/consulting firm, I'm set. I have known 70A since I was 15. Don't get the wrong idea. It's the title of a well-known Sonny Rollins tune. AFAIK, nobody has yet written a lyric for it.
Having worked with PW (then PwC) for nearly 40 years, that firm is well-known to me (but I get that it may be esoteric to most). To loosely quote Mike Shenk, if it's in the WSJ, it's fair game!
I was recruited by PW’s Beverly Hills office out of B-school, but ended up going in a different direction.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

ky-mike wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:45 pm
cbarbee002 wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:12 pm Having worked with PW (then PwC) for nearly 40 years, that firm is well-known to me (but I get that it may be esoteric to most). To loosely quote Mike Shenk, if it's in the WSJ, it's fair game!
I'm a retired CPA as well, but ended up going the corporate route (PepsiCo / YUM Brands). Any other CPAs / Accountants on this forum?
I have an accounting degree somewhere in the pile.
Beth Tyrpin

Post by Beth Tyrpin »

🛋 I googled the heck out of the grid. Really enjoyed the meta. Thanks Chris.
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

Made it off -- how 'bout a treat?
Capturehowboutatreat.PNG
Tom Mueller

Post by Tom Mueller »

Off the couch! Thanks, Chris!
Tom Mueller

Post by Tom Mueller »

Dannyvee wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:15 pm Pretty sure that was the toughest MMM grid that I’ve seen but fun and straightforward meta.
Thanks charbee!
No kidding!
JeanneC

Post by JeanneC »

Fun puzzle. Awaiting confirmation. Sixteen years of education at schools with religious affiliations and not once did I ever hear the answer to 70A used. Who says you don’t learn new things when doing crosswords?
“I cannot and will not cut my conscience to fit this year’s fashions”. Lillian Hellman
Cinny

Post by Cinny »

Off the couch! Enjoyed the puzzle, Chris.
Cindy Heisler
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

Off the couch! For some reason I felt the need for confirmation before posting.

Tough grid. I finally went all in on Google and left the meta for later. In retrospect there was some very clever fill.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
BrennerTJ

Post by BrennerTJ »

Fun puzzle! Better living through googling. :)
-Tamara
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

Off the couch, confirmed. But I still have spaces in the NW corner!
Cynthia
JeanneC

Post by JeanneC »

Confirmed. That’s two metas solved. In a row. By myself. No nudges. Woohoo! 🥳
“I cannot and will not cut my conscience to fit this year’s fashions”. Lillian Hellman