Tune Out

A weekly meta crossword created by members of the forum. Difficulty levels will vary. Hints are usually available starting Wednesday, and solutions are posted on Sunday.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

I got the meta but did not complete the grid.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Whew - a lot of googling for me to get the grid.

I am off the couch but awaiting confirmation

Confirmed. Great construction and creativity
Last edited by Bob cruise director on Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Cap'n Rick

Post by Cap'n Rick »

Same status as Bob above...

Update: Confirmed!
Ahoy! Check out my meta puzzles here! Check out "Smooth Sailing Sundays" here!
Dave C

Post by Dave C »

I only had to google for one letter (which I ultimately did not need to solve) and am confirmed off the couch, though I backed into the answer by a different mechanism than intended.
fuggedabowdit

Post by fuggedabowdit »

OTC - Awaiting confirmation - Nice puzzle - two thumbs up !!
Update: Confirmed
Last edited by fuggedabowdit on Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Never trouble trouble til trouble troubles you !
Dow Jones

Post by Dow Jones »

OTC. It's time to unwind after struggling with the grid. I liked this meta. Great job, Chris !!
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

ky-mike wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:45 pm
cbarbee002 wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:12 pm Having worked with PW (then PwC) for nearly 40 years, that firm is well-known to me (but I get that it may be esoteric to most). To loosely quote Mike Shenk, if it's in the WSJ, it's fair game!
I'm a retired CPA as well, but ended up going the corporate route (PepsiCo / YUM Brands). Any other CPAs / Accountants on this forum?
Accountant but only corporate.
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

Peat Marwick Mitchell & Co. in Philadelphia, early 1980s. I edited their consulting reports.
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
michaelm

Post by michaelm »

Off the Couch.
Very enjoyable, with manageable number of rabbit holes.
Thanks, and looking forward to future cbarbee002 MMMs!
Scott M

Post by Scott M »

OTC pending confirmation. VERY tough grid. Thanks Chris!
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
Mark Twain
KayW

Post by KayW »

:couch_and_lamp: pending confirmation, but I'm sure I've got it. Thanks Chris for a fun and clever meta!

...and as someone with allergies galore, I wanna get me a 12D!

EDIT: confirmed.
Last edited by KayW on Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Schmeel

Post by Schmeel »

Off the couch.
Tough grid, but good meta.
Thanks!
madhatter5

Post by madhatter5 »

Well, I got the first step ...
https://pandorasblocks.org/crosswords-for-cancer
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

Off the couch (unconfirmed but confident). Even googling and map-searching didn’t help find 3D (on my computer, unless you input the name of the town it will not show up no matter how close-in you’re zoomed on the map! Now THAT is a small town). But I did know—and have in my pantry—both of the wheats mentioned (I make organic sourdough bread with ancient grains — yes as wonderful as it sounds).

I did bristle at the little hiccup mentioned in the intro (the tiny error) — spelling purist that I am. But it didn’t prevent the meta solve, knowing what was intended. Fun, easy meta — thanks!

And I had no idea so many of you had accounting backgrounds! Total right brainer here... I’m always amazed that someone would do maths for a living. As Mommaw always says (she’s almost 103; yes “says” not “said”), “it takes all kinds to make a world.” ( :
The other Wendy. :roll:
cbarbee002

Post by cbarbee002 »

HeadinHome wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:05 pm Off the couch (unconfirmed but confident). Even googling and map-searching didn’t help find 3D (on my computer, unless you input the name of the town it will not show up no matter how close-in you’re zoomed on the map! Now THAT is a small town). But I did know—and have in my pantry—both of the wheats mentioned (I make organic sourdough bread with ancient grains — yes as wonderful as it sounds).

I did bristle at the little hiccup mentioned in the intro (the tiny error) — spelling purist that I am. But it didn’t prevent the meta solve, knowing what was intended. Fun, easy meta — thanks!

And I had no idea so many of you had accounting backgrounds! Total right brainer here... I’m always amazed that someone would do maths for a living. As Mommaw always says (she’s almost 103; yes “says” not “said”), “it takes all kinds to make a world.” ( :
I apologized for that entry in the clues. :-) (But apparently too lazy to have "fixed" it.) . . . .
Hidden in 3D

Post by Hidden in 3D »

Off the couch (and unconfirmed but confident like HeadinHome). Totally agree that the grid was tough, but lovely AHA this morning!
Sara
cbarbee002

Post by cbarbee002 »

Well over 50 solvers to date - - figured this to be a straightforward puzzle. Just giving everyone some down time to prepare for what likely will be amped up offerings by Messrs. Shenk and Gaffney.

For those still working on this puzzle:

It may help to watch The Sound of Music, a portion of which makes use of the meta mechanism.
Write the answers to the theme clues on a separate piece of paper, and then look down the list.
madhatter5

Post by madhatter5 »

Off the couch! That took way too long. Great puzzle Chris
https://pandorasblocks.org/crosswords-for-cancer
cbarbee002

Post by cbarbee002 »

madhatter5 wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:50 am Off the couch! That took way too long. Great puzzle Chris
Looking at MEOW now. . . .
FKelly

Post by FKelly »

Got it, I think.