Tune Out

A weekly meta crossword created by members of the forum. Difficulty levels will vary. Hints are usually available starting Wednesday, and solutions are posted on Sunday.
Jeremy Smith

Post by Jeremy Smith »

Off the couch. Fun meta. Thanks, Chris!
eagle1279

Post by eagle1279 »

Off the couch last night before checking the nudges, a couple of dubious letters in my grid but they don't affect the meta. And like others some googling was required. Fun puzzle, thanks Chris!
cbarbee002

Post by cbarbee002 »

I think most have solved the puzzle, but if not, here's the "reveal":

The answer is MUSIC BOX, and the mechanism was that each of the theme answers began with a syllable from the Solfeggio scale (Do-Re-Mi-etc.). If you got the "Tune Out" (i.e. removed those syllables), the first letter remaining of those grid entries spelled the answer. Many of you seemed to have just seen the answer without finding the mechanism.

In my opening dialogue I mentioned that the mechanism was only 94.1% correct -- that's because I used "So" in the mechanism, when the actual syllable from the scale is "Sol". So (pun intended), I got 16 of 17 letters correct, or 94.1%.

I also mentioned that this puzzle was ready to go back in January but got pulled. That was due to Mike Shenk coming out with the "Endnotes" puzzle on January 23 for the WSJ puzzle which also used the Solfeggio scale - - what are the odds???

Anyway, thanks to all of you who solved the puzzle!