Addictive Additive ****RETRACTED****

A weekly meta crossword created by members of the forum. Difficulty levels will vary. Hints are usually available starting Wednesday, and solutions are posted on Sunday.
DrTom

Addictive Additive ****RETRACTED****

Post by DrTom »

OK fellow Muggles, it’s another one of mine. However, this is distinctly not as easy as my last two. The GRID is a bit nasty I’ll admit but should be solvable from crossings or using Mr. G. The difficulty of the META is probably at least a three, though I have thrown some hints and signposts that I think bring it down a little.

You can PM me with your answers. I’ll keep a leader board and provide some Wednesday nudges. I am hoping that I have not made this too difficult because some of my test solvers had some problems. If you have questions before Wednesday feel free to message me.

Anyway the name of the puzzle is ADDICTIVE ADDITIVE and I have great faith in Muggle ability to solve it.

And the META prompt:
The answer to this meta has caused many a "sweet surrender".

Addictive Additive.puz
Addictive Additive.pdf

"I'm hoping this does not end up like an artist in a war zone...I don't want it to draw fire" - Tom said with a spark in his eye
Last edited by DrTom on Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

20210412 MMM DrTom — Addictive Additive — Excel form edited 6:30 AM ET, Monday, April 12 - added Clue #s to all grids

20210412 MMM DrTom — Addictive Additive — PUZ from PDF (includes META prompt)
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Well darn it! Thanks Joe for including a PDF with the META prompt. Apparently I forgot to include it on the PDF that is linked in the puzzle announcement.

That's what happens when I try to work fast, I usually only end up working half-fast....
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

DrTom wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:21 am Well darn it! Thanks Joe for including a PDF with the META prompt. Apparently I forgot to include it on the PDF that is linked in the puzzle announcement.

That's what happens when I try to work fast, I usually only end up working half-fast....
DrTom
Does anyone under the age of 50 use the clue or answer to 13D any more. The last I heard those terms was when I was in eighth grade.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
RPardoe

Post by RPardoe »

Bob cruise director wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:21 am Does anyone under the age of 50 use the clue or answer to 13D any more. The last I heard those terms was when I was in eighth grade.
Only when seeking paradise by the dashboard light.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

An astute Muggle (Dplass) pointed out that the last stanza of the poem referenced begins:

For oft, when on my couch I lie
In vacant or in pensive mood,....

That was in no way intentional, though it would be a GREAT Easter Egg. But in true, never let a good chuckle pass you by, Tom fashion I chose to rewrite it a bit:
For oft, when on my couch I lie
In vacant or in pensive mood,
Words flash upon that inward eye
Which is the curse of solvitude;
And then my heart with pleasure fills,
As I discern the meta fills.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Bob cruise director wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:21 am
DrTom wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:21 am Well darn it! Thanks Joe for including a PDF with the META prompt. Apparently I forgot to include it on the PDF that is linked in the puzzle announcement.

DrTom
Does anyone under the age of 50 use the clue or answer to 13D any more. The last I heard those terms was when I was in eighth grade.
Hey, if I can be expected to know Rapper names and texting abbreviations, people can be expected to know the magic I found with the windshield wipers going (thank you Lou Christie - OK now, you have something else to look up!). :)
Not heavy petting.jpg
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

RPardoe wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:04 am
Bob cruise director wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:21 am Does anyone under the age of 50 use the clue or answer to 13D any more. The last I heard those terms was when I was in eighth grade.
Only when seeking paradise by the dashboard light.
For me, only when time traveling.
Hector

Post by Hector »

Tom, did the test solvers think that this meta is fair despite being hard?
madhatter5

Post by madhatter5 »

I wasn't able to solve it, I admit, but after seeing the solution I think it's definitely fair. And, might I add, very clever.
https://pandorasblocks.org/crosswords-for-cancer
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

I have the first step. Now I'm stuck.
Heidi
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

Probably not. But to people under 30, "making out" still means exactly what it meant when you were doing it.
Last edited by Bird Lives on Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jay
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

I did what I thought for sure would give me the answer, but it didn't seem to give me something that made sense. Maybe I missed some important pieces.
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

hcbirker wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:33 pm I have the first step. Now I'm stuck.
Ditto. I'll occasionally re-visit the puzzle, and check in here, but chances are I'll need the hints to come on Wednesday.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Bird Lives wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:51 pm
Probably not. But to people under 30, "making out" still means exactly what it meant when you were doing it.
My kids are too old for that and I dare not ask my granddaughter
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Abide

Post by Abide »

Enjoyed the clues; but not a clue on the meta.
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

Level 3?
dudeski

Post by dudeski »

Fun(ny) grid. You made me watch the trailer for Vanishing Point and those 2 1/2 minutes are gone forever. The meta eludes me.
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

ChrisKochmanski wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:11 pm
Ditto. I'll occasionally re-visit the puzzle, and check in here, but chances are I'll need the hints to come on Wednesday.
Congratulations on the new, um. profile picture.
Jay
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

OK everyone STOP!!!

I am embarrassed to say that during the creation of the original puzzle I had one of the ultimate "No No's" in a US crossword, unchecked squares. So I reworked the puzzle to eliminate the squares and had to come up with new words and clues. I even ended up having to change one of my addictive substances.

Well of course I was doing this well into the night and after about 20 or thirty iterations of trying to come up with a suitable fill I finally got one BUT what i did not take into account is that this process changed my numbering completely so that squares that were to hold letters to the meta answer were now different numbers. In short the meta cannot be solved.

Several of you were knocking on the door, the mechanism was that the substances, if you were to sum up their values based on their place in the alphabet, would give you a number (i.e. what the WORDS WORTH) and that number gave you one of 5 letters that eventually spelled SUGAR. Great idea, but a total novice mistake and I apologize for the work you all put into it and the lack of a good MMM. I think it may be a while before I try this again because I am frankly so ashamed of making this glaring an error. Forgive me.

For those of you who came up with ULTRA (which as I redid the solve is what the letters appear to be) you solved it and, interestingly, revealed the ULTRA sin in creating a puzzle....not re-solving after you make massive changes. DANG!!!