Addictive Additive ****RETRACTED****

A weekly meta crossword created by members of the forum. Difficulty levels will vary. Hints are usually available starting Wednesday, and solutions are posted on Sunday.
ImOnToo

Post by ImOnToo »

I'm sorry that the meta didn't work out. But, I did enjoy the grid clues!
Konnie
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Dplass wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:16 pm
DrTom wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:55 pm
Dplass wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:11 pm

Not if it gets you to the top of the leaderboard! Just ask e.a.
And ask him how many times he has been incorrect. See the problem with guessing is that sometimes constructors know people will do that so they put a lot of things that "look" like they give the answer but they do not. There are several times I have "guessed" the answer beforehand and then solved the puzzle. I've been right many times but also wrong. Even if you guess it, and had this puzzle been formatted correctly, it might still have been fun to see WHY that was the answer.

Oh, and I think you'd get some debate at to whether the goal is to reach the top of the leader board. Muggles, at least to my knowledge, enjoy the chase as much, perhaps even more, than the score. Besides top of the leaderboard for a MMM, WSJ, PANDORA, MEOW really don't mean much. Only the MGWCC really seems to matter for bragging rights, nothing more.
Y'all are being too serious!
You are probably correct. However I think it is important that we all realize it is the journey, not the destination...
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
BethA

Post by BethA »

A local photographer EMMANUEL PANAGIOTAKIS, just posted this picture. One of the things I appreciate taking away from this puzzle, is looking up the full text of the Wordsworth poem Daffodils! I posted it as a comment to the photo and he loved it! Thanks!
Attachments
E8EB47B6-5116-49EB-A99D-44ADBC23F117.jpeg
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

I think poor DrTom has been beaten up enough... maybe it's time for some soothing music. Here you go, Tom, with love.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Al Sisti wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:48 am I think poor DrTom has been beaten up enough... maybe it's time for some soothing music. Here you go, Tom, with love.
Testing...

DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Al Sisti wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:48 am I think poor DrTom has been beaten up enough... maybe it's time for some soothing music. Here you go, Tom, with love.
Oof! A right cross from Sisti sends the Doctor to the ropes. He asks for a some sugar to give him energy but the cornerman hands him an Ultra instead - folks I think DrTom is down for the count.....

LOVED the song, but was surprised just how amenable the lyrics were to modifying for the occasion:

Lonely feeling deep inside
Find a corner where I can hide
Silent PMs calling me
Letting me know what I can see

No sugar tonight in my meta
No sugar tonight to find
No sugar I’ll have to do better
No sugar I’ve lost my mind

In the silence of the board
Too few postings, oh my word
Looking to me for some sense
I can only show penitence

No sugar tonight to find

Thankfully it was not the actual WHO and their hit Tommy the Crossword Wizard! But just as well because I Can't Explain what happened, but I Won't Get Fooled Again!

I was just as surprised that nobody invoked the Archies. Well maybe not THAT surprised, but when you think of the Guess Who and Who don't you automatically think of the Archies? (as in "Guess Who, it's the Archies! Wait Who? "). Obviously SUGAR SUGAR plays to the occasion just as well and is similarly amenable to Tomical lyricalization:

Meta
Sugar, sugar
You were my masterpiece
And you got me hating you

I just can't believe
That changing just a single square
I just can't believe it's true
I just can't believe
The I screwed it up everywhere

Ah, meta
Sugar, sugar
You were my masterpiece
Last edited by DrTom on Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

DrTom wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:43 pm
Oof! A right cross from Sisti sends the Doctor to the ropes. He asks for a some sugar to give him energy but the cornerman hands him an Ultra instead - folks I think DrTom is down for the count.....

LOVED the song, but was surprised just how amenable the lyrics were to modifying for the occasion:

Lonely feeling deep inside
Find a corner where I can hide
Silent PMs calling me
Letting me know what I can see

No sugar tonight to find

In the silence of the board
Too few postings, oh my word
Looking to me for some sense
I can only show penitence

No sugar tonight to find

I was just as surprised that nobody invoked the Archies (well maybe not THAT surprised, but when you think of the WHO odn't you automatically think of the Archies? (as in "now presenting the Archies! Wait WHO?"). Obviously SUGAR SUGAR plays to the occasion just as well and is similarly amenable to Tomical lyricalization:

Meta
Sugar, sugar
You were my masterpiece

I just can't believe
That changing just a single square
I just can't believe
The I screwed it up everywhere

Ah, meta
Sugar, sugar