Slinky Interruptions

A weekly meta crossword created by members of the forum. Difficulty levels will vary. Hints are usually available starting Wednesday, and solutions are posted on Sunday.
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

Without looking up, the English major in me knew 41A, 72A, and 61D and gardener in me knew 11D. Too young for 38A and 26D. And had to text my kids on 3D!

I suspect I’m off the couch — sending now. Thanks for the fun!
The other Wendy. :roll:
Schmeel

Post by Schmeel »

Off the couch.
I'll pm to verify when I get to a computer later.
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

Late start but quick finish—fun puzzle Jay!
Abide

Post by Abide »

I’m down with OTC
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
Brandon W

Post by Brandon W »

Off the couch, clever puzzle all around.
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

Off the couch. I enjoyed this one.
Cap'n Rick

Post by Cap'n Rick »

Off the couch!
Ahoy! Check out my meta puzzles here! Check out "Smooth Sailing Sundays" here!
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

I guess I'll need the nudges. I must be at least half way there, but........
Cynthia
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

CPJohnson wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:49 pm I guess I'll need the nudges. I must be at least half way there, but........
You may actually be all the way there. Don't overthink it, just ponder what you've got.
Hector

Post by Hector »

... says Barbara wisely in her 1111th post!
Dow Jones

Post by Dow Jones »

OTC. Fun and entertaining grid.
Alvibu67

Post by Alvibu67 »

Off the couch and confirmed! Fun puzzle!

Allison (Alvibu67)
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

The Wednesday morning head count counts the following clever heads.
MMM 3-24.jpg
For those still couched, here are some spoilers

1a. The answer is more a cryptic clue to the theme entries than something derived from those entries.

1b. Matt Gaffney did something similar in a couple of recent puzzles.

1c. Some people didn’t like it.

2. As a general rule, when the theme entries are preposterous phrases with preposterous clues, it’s about the letters, not the meaning.

3. The “off the couch” post by one of the solvers has what that solver feared was a spoiler. It wasn’t. But maybe now it will be.
Jay
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

I thought it was a spoiler, too but more so to call attention to it. Maybe only recognized by those who already had the answer.
Limerick Savant

Post by Limerick Savant »

Would someone please explain to me why on Fridays I must swim 🏊‍♂️ to shore 🏖 but on Mondays all I need do is get off the couch 🛋? :?:
Dedicated to no nonsense nonsense
boharr

Post by boharr »

Limerick Savant wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:26 am Would someone please explain to me why on Fridays I must swim 🏊‍♂️ to shore 🏖 but on Mondays all I need do is get off the couch 🛋? :?:
A little-know fact: It seems that there is a launch that takes WSJ solvers to shore, making swimming optional. I believe Joe Ross is in charge.
Jeremy Smith

Post by Jeremy Smith »

I shoud have paid closer attention to the advice given by BarbaraK in post #49. I was all the way there......and then I proceeded to overthink it.
Nice puzzle, Jay!
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

boharr wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:01 pm
Limerick Savant wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:26 am Would someone please explain to me why on Fridays I must swim 🏊‍♂️ to shore 🏖 but on Mondays all I need do is get off the couch 🛋? :?:
A little-know fact: It seems that there is a launch that takes WSJ solvers to shore, making swimming optional. I believe Joe Ross is in charge.

On the Shore
Bob cruise director wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:53 am The Wall Street Journal started the meta contests in September 2015. At that time metas were new to most of us and we did not understand them so we were totally Lost At Sea. After a couple of months, Sally Schott started the Lost At Sea cruise for those of us who were learning. What followed was that those who solve the meta had made it to the shore and were enjoying the sun and the Tiki Bar.
Launch (aka Ship's Tender)
Joe Ross wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:17 pm Coming in hot! Count me ashore.

Off the Couch
Abide wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 3:29 pm I'm off the couch! (MMM version of "on shore") :lol:
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
Limerick Savant

Post by Limerick Savant »

Joe Ross wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:15 pm
boharr wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:01 pm

On the Shore
Bob cruise director wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:53 am The Wall Street Journal started the meta contests in September 2015. At that time metas were new to most of us and we did not understand them so we were totally Lost At Sea. After a couple of months, Sally Schott started the Lost At Sea cruise for those of us who were learning. What followed was that those who solve the meta had made it to the shore and were enjoying the sun and the Tiki Bar.
Launch (aka Ship's Tender)
Joe Ross wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:17 pm Coming in hot! Count me ashore.

Off the Couch
Abide wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 3:29 pm I'm off the couch! (MMM version of "on shore") :lol:
Thanks for the history Joe and I get the lost at sea metaphor but how does it translate to the couch? Have I been on the psychoanalysist’s couch because of my neurosis brought on by meta envy? And now I am cured! Or continuing the lost theme, have I been searching for that lost change (or tv remote or cell phone) that always seems to disappear between the cushions and now I’ve found it? :roll: BTW, OTC for me means I’m making a trip to CVS because my OA is acting up. :lol:

Joe, I commend your donation of your launch but more importantly your blood 🩸 Haven’t been able to since being diagnosed with A-Fib 8 years ago.
Last edited by Limerick Savant on Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dedicated to no nonsense nonsense
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Limerick Savant wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:07 pm Thanks for the history Joe and I get the lost at sea metaphor but how does it translate to the couch? Have I been on the psychoanalysist’s couch because of my neurosis brought on by meta envy? And now I am cured! Or continuing the lost theme, have I been searching for that lost change (or tv remote or cell phone) that always seems to disappear between the cushions and now I’ve found it? :roll: BTW, OTC for me means I’m making a trip to CVS because my OA is acting up.
You'll have to ask Peter Abide. It was his idea, which was adopted by MMM solvers.
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!