"A Change in the Weather"

A weekly meta crossword created by members of the forum. Difficulty levels will vary. Hints are usually available starting Wednesday, and solutions are posted on Sunday.
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

I *think* Iโ€™m off the couch? How does one submit an answer to check?

Really clever uses of the mechanism! Enjoyed this one.
The other Wendy. :roll:
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

HeadinHome wrote: โ†‘Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:52 am How does one submit an answer to check?
PM its creator, Bird Lives, with your answer.
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET ๐—ฑ๐—ผ๐—ป๐—ผ๐—ฟ๐˜€ ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ ๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ.
๐—ง๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐—ป๐—ฒ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ ๐—ถ๐˜€ ENORMOUS ๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ:
๐Ÿฐ๐Ÿฌ% ๐—ฝ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ๐—ถ๐—ฎ๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ถ๐—ฐ,
๐Ÿฏ๐Ÿฌ% ๐—ฒ๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐—ต, ๐˜๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐˜๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐˜๐—ถ๐—ฐ,
๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ป๐—ฐ๐—ฒ๐—ฟ & ๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐˜‚๐—บ๐—ฎ. ๐—ฃ๐—Ÿ๐—˜๐—”๐—ฆ๐—˜ ๐—ฆ๐—›๐—”๐—ฅ๐—˜!
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

Everybody hits. Everybody scores. Here at Spring training, Monday Muggles by the dozens are stepping up to the plate and knocking this one out of the park, as I suspected they would. Hereโ€™s the roster of players who showed up in the first 24 hours. (Asterisks are the people who posted to this board that they had solved it but either did not send me a PM or sent a PM that did not include the answer. But Iโ€™m sure they got the answer.)
Solvers MMM.png
Spoilers Wednesday for those still needing batting practice.
Jay
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

hcbirker wrote: โ†‘Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:10 pm
Wendy Walker wrote: โ†‘Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:27 pm Here's an image from the backyard party on Friday night:
Is that your cat in the picture?
Is that your cat out there? Raccoons can be nasty!
No, Tina is strictly an indoor cat. The one in the trail cam photo is somebody's barn cat or a feral cat. She's a regular, and we call her Nita (for Not-Tina) because she really does look so much like Miss Tina.
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Come off it!

Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET ๐—ฑ๐—ผ๐—ป๐—ผ๐—ฟ๐˜€ ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ ๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ.
๐—ง๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐—ป๐—ฒ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ ๐—ถ๐˜€ ENORMOUS ๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ:
๐Ÿฐ๐Ÿฌ% ๐—ฝ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ๐—ถ๐—ฎ๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ถ๐—ฐ,
๐Ÿฏ๐Ÿฌ% ๐—ฒ๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐—ต, ๐˜๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐˜๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐˜๐—ถ๐—ฐ,
๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ป๐—ฐ๐—ฒ๐—ฟ & ๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐˜‚๐—บ๐—ฎ. ๐—ฃ๐—Ÿ๐—˜๐—”๐—ฆ๐—˜ ๐—ฆ๐—›๐—”๐—ฅ๐—˜!
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

Joe Ross wrote: โ†‘Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:08 am
HeadinHome wrote: โ†‘Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:52 am How does one submit an answer to check?
PM its creator, Bird Lives, with your answer.
Thatโ€™s why I was confused โ€” I was sure I had! Maybe never pushed the โ€œsubmitโ€ button. (Does anyone else wish that button were named something else??) ( :

Anyway - just โ€œsubmittedโ€ it.

Edit: yโ€™know.. maybe somethingโ€™s up. I definitely hit โ€œsubmitโ€ to send him my answer a few minutes ago, but neither my outbox folder or sent folder show it. Just disappeared. I see other โ€œsentโ€ messages to others from the last few days, but not that one (or the one I KNOW I sent yesterday to him!). Odd.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

I believe I am off, but I'm couching that in tentative terms!

Fun puzzle Jay!

T

EDIT: Confirmed I am uncouth, oops I meant uncouched. I was uncouth, but I had my couth repolished, I got a big bang out of that having been coopered up for so long. There I was, kind of a half stander before this board of puzzle creators, literally a wall of wits, and I said I'm going to the polisher, spend a penny and teller I don't want to run a fowler the law by having the bloom go off my couth. (sorry I ran out of superheros - except for Bird of course!) :oops:
Last edited by DrTom on Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Alvibu67

Post by Alvibu67 »

Off the couch! ๐Ÿ˜Ž
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

Iโ€™m off the couch, thanks to pushes from Jay. What a masterfully coordinated puzzle!
Cynthia
bhamren

Post by bhamren »

Off the couch. Nice puzzle and meta
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

AHA!! My pms were not going through because I was not filling in the subject line! Now we know.
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

Since yesterday, the roster has expanded.

40. JeanneC
41. Seadub
42. Joe Ross
43. DebbieC
44. DrTom
45. CPJohnson
46. Alvibu67
47. bhamren
48. ImOnToo
49. markhr
50. LadyBird
51. Abide

This is not a Gaffney late-monther. Some people got the answer without fully solving the puzzle, others without finishing the grid, and one without even starting the grid. But if youโ€™re still stuck, hereโ€™s a nudge.

Eight symmetrically located entries appear to be wrong. They donโ€™t match their clues. Something has been added or omitted. But what?

And another.
The eight-word saying is related to the word that links the two long (11-letter) entries.
Jay
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

I am off the couch but I am still looking under the couch cushions to find a few of the niceties of the mechanism.
TMart

Post by TMart »

Got the answer quickly, but took a while to find all of the nuances and Easter eggs. Nice puzzle, Jay!
Hidden in 3D

Post by Hidden in 3D »

I got the meta solution earlier today, without looking at the nudges. I didn't get around to checking with Jay until a little while ago. He confirmed I'm OTC! Loved this puzzle!
Sara
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

Bird Lives wrote: โ†‘Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:40 am Since yesterday, the roster has expanded.

40. JeanneC
41. Seadub
42. Joe Ross
43. DebbieC
44. DrTom
45. CPJohnson
46. Alvibu67
47. bhamren
48. ImOnToo
49. markhr
50. LadyBird
51. Abide

This is not a Gaffney late-monther. Some people got the answer without fully solving the puzzle, others without finishing the grid, and one without even starting the grid. But if youโ€™re still stuck, hereโ€™s a nudge.

Eight symmetrically located entries appear to be wrong. They donโ€™t match their clues. Something has been added or omitted. But what?

And another.
The eight-word saying is related to the word that links the two long (11-letter) entries.
And ME! Donโ€™t forget about ME!! (Unless my answer, after all that trouble PMing, was WRONG??)
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

HeadinHome wrote: โ†‘Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:23 pm And ME! Donโ€™t forget about ME!! (Unless my answer, after all that trouble PMing, was WRONG??)
After all that trouble yesterday, I really feel guilty about this oversight. You'll be on the next report.
Jay
eagle1279

Post by eagle1279 »

Off the couch (confirmed). Like others I found a path to the meta but I'm still working on the full mechanism (thanks to a nudge from Bird Lives). Nice puzzle!
cbarbee002

Post by cbarbee002 »

OTC - - finally got back into it today and enjoyed this meta. Finally figured out (after submitting my answer with an incomplete grid and an explanation as to the half of the meta I got that led me there) why I couldn't complete the fill. Very clever!
FKelly

Post by FKelly »

Think I have it.
You've got to be cruel to be kind. Hamlet
Can have too much of a good thing. As You Like It
Her pale fire she snatches from the sun. Timon of Athens
Or not.