"2020 Foresight"

A weekly meta crossword created by members of the forum. Difficulty levels will vary. Hints are usually available starting Wednesday, and solutions are posted on Sunday.
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

Meg wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:13 pm Mississippi Athletic Director. Toughie.
Oh. I didn't think of that abbreviation. Google helped with the MS part but I didn't know where the AD came from. My non athletic bias hurts my solving ability sometimes...

Thanks.
Cinny

Post by Cinny »

This was tough for me. I got all the way up to the line 20/25 on the eye chart (without nudges), but couldn't for the life of me figure how to get those letters to change to something that made sense. Very good puzzle even if I did become extremely frustrated. I'm going to have to write down the mechanism used - I'm sure it will come in handy in the future!!
Cindy Heisler
cbarbee002

Post by cbarbee002 »

I forgot to mention (had it in a nudge) that the clue for 1D would have been better if it were "Dir. of athletics in Starkville", but I already had a "D" clue (could only have one based on the construction) so went with "Head".
eagle1279

Post by eagle1279 »

Cinny wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 4:06 pm This was tough for me. I got all the way up to the line 20/25 on the eye chart (without nudges), but couldn't for the life of me figure how to get those letters to change to something that made sense. Very good puzzle even if I did become extremely frustrated. I'm going to have to write down the mechanism used - I'm sure it will come in handy in the future!!
Ditto for me, I had FELOPZD written down because it was the only 7-letter row on the chart, but never thought to match up those letters with the clues. I finally decided that after 2020, things will look fopzled. Or polzfed. My optometrist will certainly wonder why I start crying when she asks me to read the 20/25 line at my next exam.

Excellent puzzle Chris, thanks for taking the time to construct it.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

cbarbee002 wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 2:53 pm Last update of those off the couch:

Wendy Walker
Frank H
Beth Tyrpin
Naptown Kid
DrTom

AND, for anyone still working on it, here is the solution:

T
My thanks to those who stuck with it to the end, and my apologies to those who spent too much time chasing the wrong rabbits. I can say that I had a great time getting it to work. :-)
Chris
Like any meta you get, you feel good about. I got the first step with a slight push in the right direction. Then was dead in the water for a couple of days. I figured that it had to do with the FELOPZD line but the question was what to do with that piece of information. I have all sorts of wrong paths I went down and then for some unknown reason started looking at the clues especially the Z in 15A. From there it was just finding the right clues. I read through the clues more than once to find the "O" clue and finally went to the grid to find an L since I had UNC?EAR.

Good mental challenge for those of us who are covid/snow bound
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
boharr

Post by boharr »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:34 pm

Wendy Walker
Frank H
Beth Tyrpin
Naptown Kid
DrTom

T
My thanks to those who stuck with it to the end, and my apologies to those who spent too much time chasing the wrong rabbits. I can say that I had a great time getting it to work. :-)
Chris
Like any meta you get, you feel good about. I got the first step with a slight push in the right direction. Then was dead in the water for a couple of days. I figured that it had to do with the FELOPZD line but the question was what to do with that piece of information. I have all sorts of wrong paths I went down and then for some unknown reason started looking at the clues especially the Z in 15A. From there it was just finding the right clues. I read through the clues more than once to find the "O" clue and finally went to the grid to find an L since I had UNC?EAR.

If it wasn't for that Z I'd still be floundering!
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

boharr wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:55 pm
Bob cruise director wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:34 pm

Wendy Walker
Frank H
Beth Tyrpin
Naptown Kid
DrTom

T
Chris

If it wasn't for that Z I'd still be floundering!
I, too, thought the Z was significant. I even underlined it! But that was as far as I got...
jhseeman

Post by jhseeman »

apologies, been getting the house ready for new flooring....I"m not 25 anymore, parts that I forgot I have are hurting. Fortunately the 17 yr old human vacuum cleaner is picking up the strong back weak mind mantle. ie. He gets the low side of the furniture.

I, thanks to a great nudge from Chris, am off the couch.
JeanneC

Post by JeanneC »

Wow. Just wow. Well done! Truly elegant. I would rank this a 5 surely. Please post again!
“I cannot and will not cut my conscience to fit this year’s fashions”. Lillian Hellman
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

Well, it was a 5 for me, for sure. Didn't get it, even with nudges.
Cynthia