"Hop on Pop and . . . ."

A weekly meta crossword created by members of the forum. Difficulty levels will vary. Hints are usually available starting Wednesday, and solutions are posted on Sunday.
C=64

Post by C=64 »

Spoiler #2 is too much; I believe I can backsolve the answer without finishing the blank 3 by 3 section I have at the bottom center.
cbarbee002

Post by cbarbee002 »

Final update for those springing off the couch:

Cindy N
TMart
FKelly
HeadinHome
lbray53

SO, not sure who is still on the couch, but here is the REVEAL:

Clue 44A is the central clue that was intended to lead you down the path to a solution. My hint of reading it phonetically wasn't 100% - - my intent was just to get the solver to read the name differently than how it "should" be read.

I was looking for GEISEL = GE-IS-EL = G is L. There are four across answers with the letter G (excluding the "hint" clue), where you were meant to substitute L's for the G's. The resulting words (after the G to L substitution) all have synonyms in the grid, which yield the answer. Hence:

GOOSE - -> LOOSE - - -> SLACK
STAGE - -> STALE - - -> WORN
GOAD - - > LOAD - - -> ARM
GULL - - > LULL - - -> PAUSE

First letters of those words spell SWAP, which also rhymes with the title, a Dr. Seuss theme (rhyming).

Thanks to everyone who completed or attempted the puzzle! [I agree that South Central portion of the grid could have been a lot better - - duly noted. Don't write me off yet!]
boharr

Post by boharr »

Many thanks for this puzzle. I hope you do more!
ReB

Post by ReB »

Very strange, I got the Tuesday night nudge, looked for synonyms, found three probables (SWP) and still couldn't come up with the answer. LOAD just totally stumped me - I think my brain just shorted out with all the metas this week.
cbarbee002

Post by cbarbee002 »

ReB wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:26 pm Very strange, I got the Tuesday night nudge, looked for synonyms, found three probables (SWP) and still couldn't come up with the answer. LOAD just totally stumped me - I think my brain just shorted out with all the metas this week.
Kinda like me looking at MGWCC right now. :-/
Tom Wilson

Post by Tom Wilson »

A fantastic debut. This solver failed to go all the way ... but that's certainly not a flaw of the constructor. Looking forward to his continued contributions!
KayW

Post by KayW »

(see above)... my sentiments exactly!
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
ReB

Post by ReB »

cbarbee002 wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:30 pm
ReB wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:26 pm Very strange, I got the Tuesday night nudge, looked for synonyms, found three probables (SWP) and still couldn't come up with the answer. LOAD just totally stumped me - I think my brain just shorted out with all the metas this week.
Kinda like me looking at MGWCC right now. :-/
Yes, I've been avoiding that meta, working on other puzzles instead. But I've now run out of them...
Naptown Kid

Post by Naptown Kid »

Didn’t get to the finish line, but agree 100% with Kay and Tom. Thanks for constructing!
michaelm

Post by michaelm »

Shanks on Blanks and Thanks!
Looking forward to your next pranks.
Cinny

Post by Cinny »

Thanks for a great puzzle. I didn't think to look for synonyms of the new words, so never got the answer, but enjoyed the challenge.
Cindy Heisler
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Chris, sorry I never commented. I did not get the answer, but that was not the fault of an excellent puzzle but rather a STAGE MEDUGGA. Brilliant first effort!
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!