"Get It Together!"

A weekly meta crossword created by members of the forum. Difficulty levels will vary. Hints are usually available starting Wednesday, and solutions are posted on Sunday.
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

HeadinHome wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:06 pm Ditto - I see the mechanism but can’t get all 4. I have the last one.

One problem is I can’t get the central top block (3x4) of the grid full — no idea on 5A - that would probably get that me there. And I’m betting something I need fir the meta is there.

Anyone? DM
GOT IT! All I needed was help with the top middle of the grid, then got it from there. Thanks for good cluing from Boharr
The other Wendy. :roll:
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

ALSO - when using MS Edge as browser on my iPhone, I can't edit my posts. Works fine in chrome or safari, and Edge works fine on my desktop. Anybody else have this problem? (When I tap on the pencil I get the edit screen, but when I then tap on the word I want to edit it highlights the whole word and wants to to do a search for the word instead of giving me a keyboard to use for editing). 😡
The other Wendy. :roll:
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Friday afternoon leaderboard update:

30. Beth Tyrpin
31. Dow Jones
32. Abide
33. TMart
34. Schmeel
35. Richard B
36. lbray53
37. HeadinHome
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

There's an old computer science joke... "a monad is a monoid in the category of endofunctors, what's the problem?"
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

sharkicicles wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:56 pm There's an old computer science joke... "a monad is a monoid in the category of endofunctors, what's the problem?"
Oh, those zany computer scientists! When I was taking Computer Science, we were trying to come up with a slogan to put on shirts, mugs, etc., and I submitted "Programmers use the algorithm method." It got voted down...
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

Al Sisti wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:07 pm
sharkicicles wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:56 pm There's an old computer science joke... "a monad is a monoid in the category of endofunctors, what's the problem?"
Oh, those zany computer scientists! When I was taking Computer Science, we were trying to come up with a slogan to put on shirts, mugs, etc., and I submitted "Programmers use the algorithm method." It got voted down...
Back in the 70s my dad had a T-shirt that said "Muffler Salesmen Do It Quietly."
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

The answer to this meta was COMBINED, found by 39 solvers. The trick was to notice that the long acrosses satisfied their clues, but each had a synonym elsewhere in the grid…or at least each long across had two parts that could be combined to form synonyms (hinted at by the title and by 62A, which hinted that “four pairs of grid entries needed to Come Together.” The enumerations – always a fan favorite (heh heh) -- referred to the lengths of each of the partial synonyms. But what were they?

22A Kerfuffle [4,5] could also be “Commotion,” and we had COME/OCEAN in the grid.
34A Kick up a fuss [4,4] could be “moan about,” and MONA/BOUT were in the grid.
44A Refusing to accept the truth [4,4] is “in denial,” and there is INDY/NILE, and
55A Used up every last bit [5,5] was “emptied out,” or EMPTY/DOUBT. Two solvers also found EXPEL/DOUBT, which worked out just as well, because our answer was formed by taking the initial letters of the partial synonyms, in the order of the long acrosses, to form CO/MB/IN/ED (whether you used EMPTY or EXPEL).

The random winner this week was DJB from Sydney Australia, but as DJB has already won once (although not yet selecting a prize), I picked a second name at random, and that winner is…lbray53! You will receive your choice of either a) a Utica Club keepsake, or b) an unsullied copy of one of the books in Peter Gordon’s “____ingly Hard Crosswords” series, autographed by Peter himself. (PM me for your choice, and how I can get it to you).
Picture3.png
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

Wait I thought one of the hints implied it was anagrams?
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Dplass wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 6:21 pm Wait I thought one of the hints implied it was anagrams?
That was last week 🙂
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

BarbaraK wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 6:33 pm
Dplass wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 6:21 pm Wait I thought one of the hints implied it was anagrams?
That was last week 🙂
Whoopsie. I had already mostly given up my Wednesday, and the hints didn't steer me anywhere so I guess I totally dropped the memory.
Hector

Post by Hector »

I think I always say these metas are fun but this one was fun
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

This was a whole world championship caliber meta.
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

I am still chuckling over INDY NILE!!!
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
Tom Wilson

Post by Tom Wilson »

And I'm still trying to reconcile ASTI in the grid and ALEXSISTI in the byline. Surely, there's significance in that dropped EXSIS combo.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Tom Wilson wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:23 pm And I'm still trying to reconcile ASTI in the grid and ALEXSISTI in the byline. Surely, there's significance in that dropped EXSIS combo.
Thanks; I'm always open for new ideas!
Tom Wilson

Post by Tom Wilson »

Thanks for ignoring my poor transposition of letters. I compounded a bad joke with even worse execution. Let's make those dropped letters LEXSI, shall we?
Naptown Kid

Post by Naptown Kid »

Couldn’t crack “Brouhaha” — great word, by the way — or “Scoffing”. Very entertaining nonetheless. A lot of fun packed into a smallish grid. Thanks, Al.
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

Wendy Walker wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:31 pm I am still chuckling over INDY NILE!!!
Me too.
Queen of da ......
Capturequeenofda.JPG
Thanks, Al.