"Get It Together!"

A weekly meta crossword created by members of the forum. Difficulty levels will vary. Hints are usually available starting Wednesday, and solutions are posted on Sunday.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

20A was your Salem clue - one of my personal favorites if for nothing except the visual it elucidates!

In that same vein of numbers, that reminds me of a story, it is one of the 7 clean jokes I know:

So this guy gets admitted to this psych hospital and by chance gets placed on the floor with all of the comedians. At dinner one night he is amazed to hear someone yell out “27 12” and people laugh raucously. Then another guy interjects “8 11” greeted with another round of laughter, and so on through the meal. After several days of this he asks his room mate “what is going on”. "Oh, the numbers, well we have all been here so long and there is only one joke book so we all have it memorized. Someone yelling out “27 12” means page 27 joke #12 and that is just as funny a joke as there is. People tend to blurt out their favorites."

Wanting to be accepted, that evening at dinner he stops for a moment and exclaims “27 12”…..crickets. You could see the obvious disdain in the faces of others so he quickly asks his roomie what happened. “I thought you said 27 12 was hilarious?” “Oh”, answered the roomie, “it is, you just told it wrong!”
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

The first of your three "Dr Pepper" nudges (10 AM, 2 PM and 4 PM):

The enumerations are word lengths
FKelly

Post by FKelly »

Submitted an answer. If correct, I have a new and "improved" title for this meta,
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Time for the 2 PM feeding:

There may be alternative answers to the clues for the themed entries...
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

Just saw the first pair! GROAN!
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

The first two spoilers are on the same path I have been working on for two days now! I am missing something or not seeing something(s). Maybe I can "Get It Together!" by 4 now that I know that I am at least headed in the right direction.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

Wendy Walker wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:01 pm Just saw the first pair! GROAN!
Well you are one pair ahead of me! I guess I will go back to one to ones.
Anita

Post by Anita »

Those spoilers are exactly what I've been doing for two days. At least now I know I was on the right track...
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

4 PM Nudge:

People say silence is golden... but not in this situation. Sometimes it helps to say words out loud...
Meg

Post by Meg »

Wendy Walker wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:01 pm Just saw the first pair! GROAN!
Didn’t you just crack up? I did!
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

DrTom wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:00 am 20A was your Salem clue - one of my personal favorites if for nothing except the visual it elucidates!

In that same vein of numbers, that reminds me of a story, it is one of the 7 clean jokes I know:

So this guy gets admitted to this psych hospital and by chance gets placed on the floor with all of the comedians. At dinner one night he is amazed to hear someone yell out “27 12” and people laugh raucously. Then another guy interjects “8 11” greeted with another round of laughter, and so on through the meal. After several days of this he asks his room mate “what is going on”. "Oh, the numbers, well we have all been here so long and there is only one joke book so we all have it memorized. Someone yelling out “27 12” means page 27 joke #12 and that is just as funny a joke as there is. People tend to blurt out their favorites."

Wanting to be accepted, that evening at dinner he stops for a moment and exclaims “27 12”…..crickets. You could see the obvious disdain in the faces of others so he quickly asks his roomie what happened. “I thought you said 27 12 was hilarious?” “Oh”, answered the roomie, “it is, you just told it wrong!”
My dad used to tell that joke.........but not very well......
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

The following people have made it to the leaderboard, leaving the safety of the couch to brave the pools of lava:

19. KayW
20. Bird Lives
21. cbarbee002
22. Joe Ross
23. RPardoe (who had an acceptable -- and completely unplanned -- alternate penultimate answer)
24. ReB
25. markhr
26. BarbaraK
27. FKelly (who had an alternate title)
28. Wendy Walker
29. Anita
Beth Tyrpin

Post by Beth Tyrpin »

🛋
Dow Jones

Post by Dow Jones »

It took a long time, but I finally got off the couch. Al had to explain the clue for #67A to me. Funny !
Abide

Post by Abide »

Needed all three nudges, and then LOTS of scribbling. This is one great puzzle!
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
TMart

Post by TMart »

Off the couch! Didn't need the first two nudges, but the third one pulled the cushions out from under me. Great meta, and funny clues as usual. This one was a lot of fun.
Schmeel

Post by Schmeel »

It was an effort even after the third nudge, but I am now off the couch.
Amusing (and somewhat challenging) puzzle!
Richard B.

Post by Richard B. »

Got it. The nudges forced me to stay with my original path.
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

FINALLY got it! Like others I saw the path immediately but could not get to the end. I mean there were only 1,871 possibilities to consider! I may be too tired to get off the couch.
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

Ditto - I see the mechanism but can’t get all 4. I have the last one.

One problem is I can’t get the central top block (3x4) of the grid full — no idea on 5A - that would probably get that me there. And I’m betting something I need fir the meta is there.

Anyone? DM

UPDATE - solved! Thanks to DM-ers .
Last edited by HeadinHome on Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The other Wendy. :roll: