Final Arrangements

A weekly meta crossword created by members of the forum. Difficulty levels will vary. Hints are usually available starting Wednesday, and solutions are posted on Sunday.
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

Bird Lives wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:26 am
Dplass wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:33 am
Bird Lives wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:05 am
here are some nudges.

3. This nudge requires some decrypting. Maybe it’s useful only after you’ve solved the meta, but I’m including it anyway.
These guys may be of help: Alpert the trumpter, Score the pitcher, Gardner the playwright, Ritts the photograper.
Out of curiosity, what does the last spoiler mean?
They are all men named Herb. Four herbs.
(It pained me to leave out Adderly the cornerback. He died last October, but his ghost seems to have been helping to thwart the Rams' passing game.)
Huh. Never heard of a one.
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

Dplass wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:09 pm Huh. Never heard of a one.
These were fairly well-known in their day, which was a while ago. The name Herbert peaked in popularity in 1930 and after that, understandably, declined rapidly. Herbs famous in more recent times are hard to find.
Herbs.jpg
Jay
Dow Jones

Post by Dow Jones »

The last spoiler was the cryptic picture of "Bridge Over Troubled Water". This puzzle was a respite during this "Hazy Shade of Winter". I'm not "Fakin' It" but am actually "Feelin' Groovy". Thank you Jay!
Tom Shea

Post by Tom Shea »

Bird Lives wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:26 am
Dplass wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:33 am
Bird Lives wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:05 am
here are some nudges.

3. This nudge requires some decrypting. Maybe it’s useful only after you’ve solved the meta, but I’m including it anyway.
These guys may be of help: Alpert the trumpter, Score the pitcher, Gardner the playwright, Ritts the photograper.
Out of curiosity, what does the last spoiler mean?
They are all men named Herb. Four herbs.
(It pained me to leave out Adderly the cornerback. He died last October, but his ghost seems to have been helping to thwart the Rams' passing game.)
I thought for sure the answer involved Herbie Hancock.

I don't do well at cryptics, so this was an impossible for me. Still can't believe I didn't see Mrs. Robinson.

"Plastics"
Rufus T. Firefly
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

I was very familiar with Herb Alpert as we had some of his albums when I was a child. More recently, but still not very recent was/were (Peaches and) Herb.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Well I was never going to get that despite all of the excellent (in hindsight cause I sure didn't see them from the get go) nudges. I think of all of them I like the Bridge over Troubled Water best. If only I'd have recognized the card game as Bridge because I started looking for Kenny Rogers' songs figuring (1) Gambler and (2) he was a teetotaler so WATER. I also thought it might be VIVA Las Vegas and Presley because i could get PRESLEY from PRESSREPLAY. Then I spent an inordinate amount of time looking for Herbs (as a name not as a culinary choice). I got SCAT but no Ella, SKI but no Doors (Riders on the Storm) which reveals my other problem and that was looking only at horizontal long answers. I never even saw MRS ROBIN SON and I'm angry with myself because I thought that both MRS and SON seemed kind of forced. Nice puzzle Bird!

This sheet of 50 songs songs, it must include their smash hit about how they managed to completely clog up their window blinds one fall day? We all know Nifty Ways to Leaf your Louver!!!
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
michaelm

Post by michaelm »

Also totally whiffed despite S&G being musical heroes and more generous nudges than my dog at her bowl around dinnertime.
Awesome puzzle.
Really looking forward to your next one!