"End of the Line"

A weekly meta crossword created by members of the forum. Difficulty levels will vary. Hints are usually available starting Wednesday, and solutions are posted on Sunday.
BrianMac
Site Admin

"End of the Line"

Post by BrianMac »

Posting this from Lake Placid, NY, where the family and I have escaped to for a few days.

The title is "End of the Line" and the answer is a four-word question. I will be trying to stay mostly unplugged this week, so I probably won't be checking PMs for a while. Even so, you can PM me your answer and I will reply later in the week.

End of the Line.puz

End of the Line.pdf

I'm going to give a preemptive nudge since I don't know if I will log in for nudge Wednesday. I also feel like I should note that the meta is dependent upon familiarity with one piece of information. I think that most in this group will have that information, but in case not, this nudge should give you a Google starting point.

37-Across is not part of the theme set of answers, but is a hint to the theme.

Good luck and enjoy!
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET ๐—ฑ๐—ผ๐—ป๐—ผ๐—ฟ๐˜€ ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ ๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ.
๐—ง๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐—ป๐—ฒ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ ๐—ถ๐˜€ ENORMOUS ๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ:
๐Ÿฐ๐Ÿฌ% ๐—ฝ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ๐—ถ๐—ฎ๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ถ๐—ฐ,
๐Ÿฏ๐Ÿฌ% ๐—ฒ๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐—ต, ๐˜๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐˜๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐˜๐—ถ๐—ฐ,
๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ป๐—ฐ๐—ฒ๐—ฟ & ๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐˜‚๐—บ๐—ฎ. ๐—ฃ๐—Ÿ๐—˜๐—”๐—ฆ๐—˜ ๐—ฆ๐—›๐—”๐—ฅ๐—˜!
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Off the couch!

Awaiting Brian's confirmation. Though as he warned, it may take a while. (No rush, Brian. Enjoy Lake Placid!)

EDIT: Brian has confirmed.
Last edited by ChrisKochmanski on Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
boharr

Post by boharr »

Off the couch and submitted to Brian, who I hope is enjoying Lake Placid.

EDIT:
Confirmed.
Last edited by boharr on Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Having submitted, then read the nudge, I am confident that I am

Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET ๐—ฑ๐—ผ๐—ป๐—ผ๐—ฟ๐˜€ ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ ๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ.
๐—ง๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐—ป๐—ฒ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ ๐—ถ๐˜€ ENORMOUS ๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ:
๐Ÿฐ๐Ÿฌ% ๐—ฝ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ๐—ถ๐—ฎ๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ถ๐—ฐ,
๐Ÿฏ๐Ÿฌ% ๐—ฒ๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐—ต, ๐˜๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐˜๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐˜๐—ถ๐—ฐ,
๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ป๐—ฐ๐—ฒ๐—ฟ & ๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐˜‚๐—บ๐—ฎ. ๐—ฃ๐—Ÿ๐—˜๐—”๐—ฆ๐—˜ ๐—ฆ๐—›๐—”๐—ฅ๐—˜!
Schmeel

Post by Schmeel »

I am off the couch.
I accidently posted the answer I got to here instead of in a PM for a few seconds - if you saw it, I do apologize! Just me being a 17A.
In any case it was a fun puzzle!
Hector

Post by Hector »

Submitted. Fun and funny.
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

Solved, I guess.
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

After step one, I had an idea (which I still like) that worked for two out of four. So I went elsewhere, submitted, and said, to quote a regular contributor to this board, "final answer."

Did anyone elese remember that the AG at 21A had a sheet thrown over a larger-than-life statue of The Spirit of Justice in the DoJ because said female Spirit had two exposed larger-than-life cast-aluminum breasts? (You can make your own jokes here about what our current vice-president would have done and then what his boss would have done.)

Anyway, as Prof. Spooner, after he'd quit Oxford and become a horse thief, asked a potential customer, "Would you . . . .?"
Jay
Richard B.

Post by Richard B. »

Solved, awaiting confirmation.

And confirmed.
Last edited by Richard B. on Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
cbarbee002

Post by cbarbee002 »

Bird Lives wrote: โ†‘Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:21 pm After step one, I had an idea (which I still like) that worked for two out of four. So I went elsewhere, submitted, and said, to quote a regular contributor to this board, "final answer."

Did anyone elese remember that the AG at 21A had a sheet thrown over a larger-than-life statue of The Spirit of Justice in the DoJ because said female Spirit had two exposed larger-than-life cast-aluminum breasts? (You can make your own jokes here about what our current vice-president would have done and then what his boss would have done.)

Anyway, as Prof. Spooner, after he'd quit Oxford and become a horse thief, asked a potential customer, "Would you . . . .?"
It was John Ashcroft, not Danforth. Official line was that the cover improved the room's use as a TV backdrop. Who knows . . .
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

cbarbee002 wrote: โ†‘Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:18 pm
Bird Lives wrote: โ†‘Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:21 pm After step one, I had an idea (which I still like) that worked for two out of four. So I went elsewhere, submitted, and said, to quote a regular contributor to this board, "final answer."

It was John Ashcroft, not Danforth. Official line was that the cover improved the room's use as a TV backdrop. Who knows . . .
Right. Interesting that their names share five out of eight letters, which is probably why I confused them. I should have checked Google.
Jay
cbarbee002

Post by cbarbee002 »

Bird Lives wrote: โ†‘Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:21 pm
cbarbee002 wrote: โ†‘Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:18 pm

Right. Interesting that their names share five out of eight letters, which is probably why I confused them. I should have checked Google.
Too funny. When I read the clue, I also went to "Ashcroft".
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

Off the couch! Not officially verified, but no question; I did use the hint though. Really nice!
C=64

Post by C=64 »

Solved, nice aha moment.
Abide

Post by Abide »

I think I have it. Not sure...

I got a good chuckle out of 17-Across.

edit: confirmed!
Last edited by Abide on Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
โ€”Brian MacDonald
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

Schmeel wrote: โ†‘Mon Dec 28, 2020 2:18 pm I am off the couch.
I accidently posted the answer I got to here instead of in a PM for a few seconds - if you saw it, I do apologize! Just me being a 17A.
I haven't made this mistake yet, but I have anxiety about it every time I send an answer via pm! I did actually see your spoiler post, so I don't have to worry about solving this one. I'm not sure I would have gotten it anyway. Almost certainly not without the nudge, but I don't think my chances were great.
Schmeel

Post by Schmeel »

FrankieHeck wrote: โ†‘Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:36 am
Schmeel wrote: โ†‘Mon Dec 28, 2020 2:18 pm I am off the couch.
I haven't made this mistake yet, but I have anxiety about it every time I send an answer via pm! I did actually see your spoiler post, so I don't have to worry about solving this one. I'm not sure I would have gotten it anyway. Almost certainly not without the nudge, but I don't think my chances were great.
Re the anxiety - so do I.
I just happened to be posting in the middle of a teenage fracas going on around me, and my level of concentration was not as it should have been. In retrospect I probably should have waited until quiet decended on my house. Maybe 10 years.
In any case, I'm sorry yet again for the spoiler. To you and any other schlimazel I happened to be a 17A for. :oops:
cbarbee002

Post by cbarbee002 »

Off the couch (not confirmed, but seems obvious). Very fun puzzle - - was difficult (for me) to find the "hook" to begin, but once I found that, the rest was muscle memory. :-)
KayW

Post by KayW »

Confirmed :couch_and_lamp:
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.