"Twelve Twenty-Six"

A weekly meta crossword created by members of the forum. Difficulty levels will vary. Hints are usually available starting Wednesday, and solutions are posted on Sunday.
Abide

"Twelve Twenty-Six"

Post by Abide »

Good morning and welcome to another Muggle Meta Monday!

The meta answer is a Christmas carol.

Extra credit: Explain this meta's special connection to today.

PDF LINK

PUZ LINK

EXCEL LINK

Also available to solve online at www.crosshare.org

Prize puzzle: Submit your answer by PM before Thursday at 7pm central. Randomly drawn winner receives a "Biloxi" lapel pin and a Pilot gel pen.

Bonus MMM: Since you have all been good boys and girls this year, there will be a "Christmas bonus" MMM this Thursday by Al Sisti.
Last edited by Abide on Mon Dec 21, 2020 5:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
KayW

Post by KayW »

Off the couch (pending confirmation). This is a most EXCELLENT puzzle in so many ways... that I can't discuss til post-deadline. Thanks, Peter!

Edit: confirmed! :couch:
Last edited by KayW on Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Meg

Post by Meg »

🛋 🎄 cuz there should be a 🎄next to the couch that I am off of. Awaiting confirmation.
Yay! I got it!
Last edited by Meg on Mon Dec 21, 2020 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
boharr

Post by boharr »

Off the couch (right next to the tree). Awaiting confirmation.

Edit: Confirmed
Last edited by boharr on Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Off the couch!

Confirmed on the carol. Though I don't yet have the extra credit. Will return to it later.

Merry Christmas, all!
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

Submitted the wrong answer and the correct extra credit. I knew the extra credit right away and there was a carol that went with it, but not the right carol. This is all OK by me. 2021 may be the year I let all my streaks go. The streak pressure is zapping the meta fun for me right now.

Merry Christmas!
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Cindy wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:26 am Submitted the wrong answer and the correct extra credit. I knew the extra credit right away and there was a carol that went with it, but not the right carol. This is all OK by me. 2021 may be the year I let all my streaks go. The streak pressure is zapping the meta fun for me right now.

Merry Christmas!
I know what you mean. I’m feeling the same way about solo solving. One more solo MGWCC and I’m going back to the social cruise/starship/couch/etc.
Dannyvee

Post by Dannyvee »

Submitted and feeling pretty confident on both fronts.

Edit: Confirmed!
Last edited by Dannyvee on Mon Dec 21, 2020 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I can be found in Sheridan, NY, veejaying. (8)
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

BarbaraK wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:59 am
Cindy wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:26 am Submitted the wrong answer and the correct extra credit. I knew the extra credit right away and there was a carol that went with it, but not the right carol. This is all OK by me. 2021 may be the year I let all my streaks go. The streak pressure is zapping the meta fun for me right now.

Merry Christmas!
I know what you mean. I’m feeling the same way about solo solving. One more solo MGWCC and I’m going back to the social cruise/starship/couch/etc.
I gave up my MGWCC streak 4 weeks ago rather than get a nudge, and it was a surprising relief.
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

Al Sisti wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 1:26 pm
BarbaraK wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:59 am

Merry Christmas!
I gave up my MGWCC streak 4 weeks ago rather than get a nudge, and it was a surprising relief.
I let MMMM go a couple of months ago and survived just fine. I actually considered the solo route for 2021, but abandoned that idea pretty quickly after deciding it would be worse that maintaining a streak. I think in 2021 I will just solve for fun - what a concept!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Hmmm - well reading the above I think I have the extra credit but not the carol based on what Barbara K said. Anyway, fun endeavour and satisfying even if I am wrong. Fun puzzle with lots of very fun clues and answers. It leaves you with this Abiding feeling of satisfaction. (yes, can't stop the punning I'm afraid)
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

DrTom wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 1:51 pm Hmmm - well reading the above I think I have the extra credit but not the carol based on what Barbara K said. Anyway, fun endeavour and satisfying even if I am wrong. Fun puzzle with lots of very fun clues and answers. It leaves you with this Abiding feeling of satisfaction. (yes, can't stop the punning I'm afraid)
Based on what I said? I haven't even looked at the puzzle yet, just came here to print it.
Hector

Post by Hector »

Tough grid, and cool meta / extra credit.
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

Funny puzzle that is actually solvable (I think-not confirmed)—what a concept. Thanks Peter!
LesY

Post by LesY »

Solved and solved.

And I agree with the perspectives on letting streaks go - I self-declared my WSJ streak dead a few weeks ago and plan to drop the MGWCC one with the next hard one (harder to let that one go, probably because it’s public). I’ve enjoyed team-solving Puzzle Boats so much with several of this crew that it’s no longer as enjoyable to slog along by myself on a meta. They’re still fun but not the same.
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

LesY wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 4:29 pm plan to drop the MGWCC one with the next hard one (harder to let that one go, probably because it’s public)
I'm thinking of doing the same.

Back to this puzzle ...

I now have the extra credit (after getting the meta earlier in the day). But it took me several guesses via PM with Peter. I felt bad about pestering him! It shouldn't have taken me that long. Fun puzzle!
Abide

Post by Abide »

oldjudge wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 3:27 pm Funny puzzle that is actually solvable (I think-not confirmed)—what a concept. Thanks Peter!
How audacious of you to expect these to be solvable :lol:
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

Off the couch! Fun and educational!
Jaclyn

Post by Jaclyn »

I think I'm off the couch with extra credit and carol, but not by solving the meta. :D
I'll keep thinking on that.
C=64

Post by C=64 »

I solved this after an initial wrong guess (which ties in pretty well with the title but wasn't a solid fit with the meta clues). I have now given up on the extra credit after numerous wrong guesses via PM... but I did solve the MEOW puzzle earlier, so overall today was a win. :D