"Family First"

A weekly meta crossword created by members of the forum. Difficulty levels will vary. Hints are usually available starting Wednesday, and solutions are posted on Sunday.
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

Fun puzzle. I completed the grid Tuesday morning, but let it sit while I worked on other things. Got around to looking at it over lunch today and the pathway quickly lit up like a Christmas tree for me.

Nice puzzle BrianMac
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Off the couch! Thanks for a fun puzzle Brian! Glad everyone reminded me to look it up last night on our Zoom call.
Heidi
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Dow Jones wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:36 am Awaiting confirmation. The entire puzzle was funny ! 1973 Chevrolet Vega (need I say more ?). It never ran again after 1977.
Yes the Vega has to rank up there with the worst. Unlike the Yugo it would never get blown off the Mackinaw bridge because the Macinaw Straits wouldn't want it. I had a 1971 British Racing Green GT Wagon that I bought new and everything that ever went wrong with a Vega went wrong with mine:
Engine warped
Cylinder seal/oil leak
Leaking around the windshield so that your feet got wet as it rolled off the dash
Leaking of radiator into the passenger compartment
Separation of the shock absorbers from the rear bed after hitting a bump

It wasn't a bad looking car, but I was always mad that I got rid of a nice Chevy Nova II to buy it. The 1964 Chevy II was still running strong several years after the Vega was rusting on a junk yard. The rumor was that they repurposed the car from another product - they just removed the MATIC from the VEGAMATIC and put wheels on it....
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

GREAT BrianMac puzzle, and as usual entertainment within entertainment. Great clues (thanks for the drug treatment clue, I appreciate it!) and some very funny moments. I am waiting for confirmation but I truly feel there is no way I got the wrong answer (for a change).
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

BrianMac wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:50 pm Even better solution. I changed the setting for when a folder is full from "hold back new messages" to "delete oldest message."

So now, it hopefully should not be an issue, but know that your oldest messages will start to be deleted once you are over 1,000 PMs and new messages start coming in.
Mine seem not to be going out to anyone.

Brian - I just sent another PM at 2:45
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
BrianMac
Site Admin

Post by BrianMac »

Almost forgot the Wednesday nudges:

Look for words embedded in the theme answers.

The numbers in the clues are hints as to where to find the hidden words.

The original prompt asked for "a well-known book," but had the same answer.
BrianMac
Site Admin

Post by BrianMac »

Leaderboard as of posting time:
  1. DJB
  2. FrankieHeck
  3. LauraM
  4. whimsy
  5. Jaclyn (welcome!)
  6. C=64
  7. ChrisKochmanski
  8. BarbaraK
  9. Djquimby
  10. Hector
  11. Abide
  12. lbray53
  13. Meg
  14. MikeM000
  15. boharr
  16. RPardoe
  17. Dow Jones
  18. Jeremy Smith
  19. m5rammy
  20. Beth Tyrpin
  21. oldjudge
  22. Dannyvee
  23. Richard B.
  24. Schmeel
  25. joequavis
  26. bhamren
  27. Bird Lives
  28. Al Sisti
  29. Dplass
  30. FrankH
  31. dudeski
  32. Cinny
  33. TMart
  34. Cindy
  35. ky-mike
  36. hcbirker
  37. DrTom
  38. Sfull411
Cinny

Post by Cinny »

Solved, confirmed, and OTC!! I really enjoyed this meta. Thanks, Brian!! 😊
Cindy Heisler
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

I actually wasn't off the couch until just now when I read the third hint :-) I had all the pieces but didn't put them together the right way. Excellent answer though!
SusieG

Post by SusieG »

Very fun puzzle! I think I’m off the couch. I could add several “worst cars ever” to the list.
1. A 1980-ish Fiat Spider that had endless transmission and engine issues (but it was sooooo cute!). I spent way too much money just to keep it running.
2. My mom’s 1980 Chrysler Newport, which would die at the most inopportune times. Once, as I turned a corner the power steering went out and I slid down the snowy bank of the Rio Grande, luckily stopping just before going into the icy water. Another time as we made a left hand turn with a semi barreling down the highway toward us. And as crazy as it sounds, on the railroad tracks. We all wanted to leave it there and walk away, but we sadly had time to push it out of the way.
Cap'n Rick

Post by Cap'n Rick »

Solved and confirmed. Fun puzzle.
Ahoy! Check out my meta puzzles here! Check out "Smooth Sailing Sundays" here!
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

Plymouth cricket. Not mine but my husband’s sometime during college. It needed repairs at some point and he just let the repairman keep it.
ReB

Post by ReB »

Off the couch after viewing spoilers, but not going to send PM. I don't think my heart was in it enough this week.
michaelm

Post by michaelm »

Off the couch.
I've come to love how numbers within clues can be used to send solvers in so many different possible directions.
Thanks for the puzzle!
Richard B.

Post by Richard B. »

michaelm wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:54 am
I've come to love how numbers within clues can be used to send solvers in so many different possible directions.
Wonder how well this meta would have worked without the numbers in the clues? Would just *s with the themers have been enough for a satisfying solve?
KayW

Post by KayW »

Laura M wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:52 pm I actually wasn't off the couch until just now when I read the third hint :-) I had all the pieces but didn't put them together the right way. Excellent answer though!
My sentiments exactly!
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
FrankH

Post by FrankH »

I managed to find what I needed to find and solve the meta without noticing what was mentioned in Brian's second spoiler. But it took longer as I went down some rabbit holes.
Abide

Post by Abide »

Richard B. wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:06 am
michaelm wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:54 am
Wonder how well this meta would have worked without the numbers in the clues? Would just *s with the themers have been enough for a satisfying solve?
This is a reply to the spoiler:
As the test solver of the original puzzle without the numbers, I think the leaderboard would be reduced by at least 75%. It took a nudge (and then a shove) for me to see the gimmick.
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

FrankH wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:01 pm I managed to find what I needed to find and solve the meta without noticing what was mentioned in Brian's second spoiler.
Same here -----

I vaguely wondered why Brian needed to update the clue for 42A, and why lbrary53 was so amenable that he did so! :roll: Duh on me!
FrankH

Post by FrankH »

whimsy wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:45 pm
FrankH wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:01 pm I managed to find what I needed to find and solve the meta without noticing what was mentioned in Brian's second spoiler.
Same here -----

I vaguely wondered why Brian needed to update the clue for 42A, and why lbrary53 was so amenable that he did so! :roll: Duh on me!
I want to add that because I didn't get that observation, I was not 100% certain of my answer, but close. That is because one of the items I found did not work as well as the others. However, I figured it was too much of a coincidence with everything I got and so worthy of submission.