"Family First"

A weekly meta crossword created by members of the forum. Difficulty levels will vary. Hints are usually available starting Wednesday, and solutions are posted on Sunday.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

May I speak for all muggles and say that 58D is also close to our hearts?
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET ๐—ฑ๐—ผ๐—ป๐—ผ๐—ฟ๐˜€ ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ ๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ.
๐—ง๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐—ป๐—ฒ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ ๐—ถ๐˜€ ENORMOUS ๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ:
๐Ÿฐ๐Ÿฌ% ๐—ฝ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ๐—ถ๐—ฎ๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ถ๐—ฐ,
๐Ÿฏ๐Ÿฌ% ๐—ฒ๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐—ต, ๐˜๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐˜๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐˜๐—ถ๐—ฐ,
๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ป๐—ฐ๐—ฒ๐—ฟ & ๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐˜‚๐—บ๐—ฎ. ๐—ฃ๐—Ÿ๐—˜๐—”๐—ฆ๐—˜ ๐—ฆ๐—›๐—”๐—ฅ๐—˜!
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

Funny puzzle by Brian--thank you! ๐Ÿ›‹
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

Jeremy Smith wrote: โ†‘Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:01 pm
ChrisKochmanski wrote: โ†‘Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:07 pm
If you want to talk awful cars, the Renault Alliance we drove in the mid '80s would have to rank among the worst.
1974 Fiat 128 Sport SL โ€” clutch cable would break every 5000 miles, like clockwork, stranding you wherever you were

1980 Renault LeCar โ€” electrical problems from day one. It would die, and I had to wiggle the fuse box to get it started again
I still haven't gotten past step one, but before the car discussion is forgotten, let me point out that the puzzle of two Mondays ago had the clue "Worst cars in history." The answer: YUGOS.

I drove a 1980 LeCar from Paris to Barcelona and back. No problems. But I did have a 1965 Corvair which, from the start leaked fumes from somewhere in the engine into the car itself. Driving with the window open in winter in Boston was not my favorite way to get around.
Jay
joequavis

Post by joequavis »

Off the couch. Thanks Brian!
bhamren

Post by bhamren »

ChrisKochmanski wrote: โ†‘Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:07 pm If you want to talk awful cars, the Renault Alliance we drove in the mid '80s would have to rank among the worst.
Oddly enough I bought a brand new 1987 Alliance hatchback. In 1987 the hatchback Alliance was what was in prior years the Encore. I paid just over $10,000 with a zero interest loan. This was the last year of American Motors / Renault in the US and they were just trying to get rid of all the ones they had left on the lot. My payments were 231 per month for 4 years. I ended up driving it until it died after 10.5 years with over 230k miles on it. I only had one minor problem with it until the very end. It was my commuter car. Consumer Reports rated it "much worse than average" in almost every category, but I must have gotten the non-lemon of the group! People thought it was foreign since it was Renault, but it was built in Kenosha Wisconsin.

Oddly enough the only other new car I had ever bought at the time was a 1980 Renault LeCar. It lasted over 100k miles but not much more. I cannot tell for sure since the speedometer / odometer quit working at 89k and they had to pull the engine to fix it so I said no thanks. At the end it ran on 3 cylinders and the starter went out so I had to push start it all the time and it took about a mile to get up to speed. I got $75 for it at a junkyard because they needed a rear end from it.

My brother-in-law had an Omni, though. It had so many problems that he started calling them "options". For example, the glove box is stuck shut? It's a "Dodge Omni Option!" - something else breaks - another "Dodge Omni Option!"
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

To paraphrase Ringo:
I got off of my couch, and into my car . . .

I especially liked the clues that wouldn't get past an editor of a real publication but are perfect in this setting.
Jay
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

OTC... great puzzle, great clues, and a sweet reference at 58D.
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

Solved
Meg

Post by Meg »

Joe Ross wrote: โ†‘Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:30 am May I speak for all muggles and say that 58D is also close to our hearts?
Does she know?
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

Pretty sure I'm OTC, awaiting confirmation.

Update: Confirmed.

Nice meta, thanks Brian!
FrankH

Post by FrankH »

OTC and confirmed.
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

Meg wrote: โ†‘Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:57 pm
Joe Ross wrote: โ†‘Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:30 am May I speak for all muggles and say that 58D is also close to our hearts?
Does she know?
Awww....Thanks Joe. It's nice to be remembered.
And I did (the parenthesized part of the clue).
TMart

Post by TMart »

Off the couch (I think). Great puzzle, Brian!

BrianMac wrote: โ†‘Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:50 am Also, the clues are a little...saucy?
I prefer my clues with extra sauce, so thanks there as well!
Anita

Post by Anita »

I'm still stuck, and hoping a nudge will be posted today.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

BrianMac wrote: โ†‘Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:20 pm I just accidentally deleted a number of PMs. I remember all the names except for one. So if you have submitted and not heard back from me, please submit again. Thanks,

Brian
Did you get my PM last night? I am having trouble generating PM's. The don't seem to go anywhere but if I respond to someone that goes out.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Bob cruise director wrote: โ†‘Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:22 pm
BrianMac wrote: โ†‘Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:20 pm I just accidentally deleted a number of PMs. I remember all the names except for one. So if you have submitted and not heard back from me, please submit again. Thanks,

Brian
Did you get my PM last night? I am having trouble generating PM's. The don't seem to go anywhere but if I respond to someone that goes out.
All veteran muggles should check the limits (1,000 PMs) of all of their xword-muggles mailboxes.
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET ๐—ฑ๐—ผ๐—ป๐—ผ๐—ฟ๐˜€ ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ ๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ.
๐—ง๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐—ป๐—ฒ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ ๐—ถ๐˜€ ENORMOUS ๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ:
๐Ÿฐ๐Ÿฌ% ๐—ฝ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ๐—ถ๐—ฎ๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ถ๐—ฐ,
๐Ÿฏ๐Ÿฌ% ๐—ฒ๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐—ต, ๐˜๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐˜๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐˜๐—ถ๐—ฐ,
๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ป๐—ฐ๐—ฒ๐—ฟ & ๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐˜‚๐—บ๐—ฎ. ๐—ฃ๐—Ÿ๐—˜๐—”๐—ฆ๐—˜ ๐—ฆ๐—›๐—”๐—ฅ๐—˜!
Meg

Post by Meg »

Joe Ross wrote: โ†‘Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:28 pm

Brian
All veteran muggles should check the limits (1,000 PMs) of all of their xword-muggles mailboxes.
Every few days I go to the end (page 38 or so) and delete 2 pages worth of pm's.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
BrianMac
Site Admin

Post by BrianMac »

Joe Ross wrote: โ†‘Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:28 pm

Brian
That's what I ran into. It started holding my incoming PMs until I deleted some messages. I was trying to get under the limit using "mark all", but forgot one time to go to the last page, so I deleted the whole first page of most recent PMs. So be careful! :)

I can increase the limit. The default was 100 I think, so I already increased it to 1000. We're not that many members and even fewer are sending tons of PMs, so it's probably not an issue data-storage wise. But i don't want to get in the habit of increasing the limit all the time, and if you're like me, the 1000 messages are just sitting there, so might as well just get rid of them periodically.
BrianMac
Site Admin

Post by BrianMac »

Brian
Didn't get it, Bob. I'm back under the limit now, though so try again.
BrianMac
Site Admin

Post by BrianMac »

Even better solution. I changed the setting for when a folder is full from "hold back new messages" to "delete oldest message."

So now, it hopefully should not be an issue, but know that your oldest messages will start to be deleted once you are over 1,000 PMs and new messages start coming in.