"Call Me"

A weekly meta crossword created by members of the forum. Difficulty levels will vary. Hints are usually available starting Wednesday, and solutions are posted on Sunday.
BrianMac
Site Admin

Post by BrianMac »

Thanks to everyone who has solved so far.

Here is your current leaderboard:
  1. woozy
  2. Bird Lives
  3. Meg
  4. RPardoe
  5. markhr
  6. Laura M
  7. boharr
  8. MarkWoychick
  9. Dannyvee
  10. joequavis
  11. BarbaraK
  12. benchen71
  13. ChrisKochmanski
  14. Bbaack
And here is our new Cavapoo (King Cavalier Spaniel x Toy Poodle), and my new office mate, Lola:

Lolz.jpg
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

^^ And I just know that you want to thank those of us who are still attempting to solve. :D

Plenty stuck...
Capturestuckbun.PNG
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

woozy wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:19 pm
BarbaraK wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:21 pm Off the couch.

Now for the secondary meta - trying to figure out what Brian considers a "fatal flaw" in this cute puzzle
Um.... It's pretty substantial. Not enough to stop us from enjoying this but .... it's substantial (and obvious).
You say po-tay-to, I say po-tah-to, Brian says fatal flaw, I say cute workaround :)
woozy

Post by woozy »

BarbaraK wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:27 am

Now for the secondary meta - trying to figure out what Brian considers a "fatal flaw" in this cute puzzle
Um.... It's pretty substantial. Not enough to stop us from enjoying this but .... it's substantial (and obvious).
You say po-tay-to, I say po-tah-to, Brian says fatal flaw, I say cute workaround :)
Hmmm.... when my sister was 8 years old overly cute and precious and I was 12 and overly logical and prickly and we spent a summer in Nova Scotia and before going my mother described the flag of Nova Scotia as "Blue Cross on a white background with a yellow shield of a red unicorn.... or maybe it was a lion; I can't remember". So we get there and it was a lion. .... Okay we were there for about six weeks and for a rainy day activity my sister made a little picture book of Nova Scotia. And she drew a flag of a gangly legged unicorn on a shield. I pointed out the flag of Nova Scotia, despite my mother misremembering, featured a lion. "I know, but a unicorn is easier to draw" she said is a cute and precious way which just infuriated the logical and prickly me.

So..... sure.... I guess pretending the flag of Nova Scotia features a unicorn can be called a "cute workaround" if UNICORN fits your meta but LION does not.... but I'd call it a fatal flaw. Not fatal enough to not do it, solve it, have a great time doing so, and praising the puzzle and the creator for the diversion and fun it brought.... but a well acknowledged and factual error.
Latest meta: Never forget... and never mind (A WSJ retaliation)
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

woozy wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:37 pm
BarbaraK wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:27 am

Hmmm.... when my sister was 8 years old overly cute and precious and I was 12 and overly logical and prickly and we spent a summer in Nova Scotia and before going my mother described the flag of Nova Scotia as "Blue Cross on a white background with a yellow shield of a red unicorn.... or maybe it was a lion; I can't remember". So we get there and it was a lion. .... Okay we were there for about six weeks and for a rainy day activity my sister made a little picture book of Nova Scotia. And she drew a flag of a gangly legged unicorn on a shield. I pointed out the flag of Nova Scotia, despite my mother misremembering, featured a lion. "I know, but a unicorn is easier to draw" she said is a cute and precious way which just infuriated the logical and prickly me.

So..... sure.... I guess pretending the flag of Nova Scotia features a unicorn can be called a "cute workaround" if UNICORN fits your meta but LION does not.... but I'd call it a fatal flaw. Not fatal enough to not do it, solve it, have a great time doing so, and praising the puzzle and the creator for the diversion and fun it brought.... but a well acknowledged and factual error.
LOL, literally.

And also getting a kick out of a logical and prickly person using the phrase "fatal enough". There are degrees of fatality?
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

Um, not so obvious to this oblivious non-solver.
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

^^ I know! No Fair! @Dplass and I are doubly deprived at this point! No knowledge of the meta or the "flaw-ful" workaround!! :lol:
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

whimsy wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:28 pm ^^ I know! No Fair! @Dplass and I are doubly deprived at this point! No knowledge of the meta or the "flaw-ful" workaround!! :lol:
"flaw-ful" is brilliant. It's @DrTom-worthy. HBDT!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Well I think I see the flaw and I'm not concerned, but then I am not seeing enough to solve so perhaps the flaw is mine?
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Thurman8er

Post by Thurman8er »

Color me confused as well. But just getting started...
Schmeel

Post by Schmeel »

Off the couch.
Thanks!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

A CLICK and a very satisfying META, thanks Brian, it was the perfect Birthday present.

Not yet confirmed but I can't see it being anything else. As for the flaw, if it is what I THINK it is, I laughed enough to make my way around it.

EDIT: CONFIRMED - turns out I didn't even see the flaw, luckily what I saw let me flee (ouch)

I got off the couch to go to the store and then this happens:
Grocery list.jpg
Last edited by DrTom on Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
BrianMac
Site Admin

Post by BrianMac »

First nudge of Nudge Wednesday:

The theme entries are the 8 longest across answers.
MaineMarge

Post by MaineMarge »

Still in the bag with the cat, so I don’t know anything about any flaws. But I do know lots about flawers.
012E21D1-C1B7-44A5-B072-EDAE658254A2.jpeg
More fall beauty. Not a flaw in sight.
BrianMac
Site Admin

Post by BrianMac »

Second Nudge:

Just don't call me late for dinner!
BrianMac
Site Admin

Post by BrianMac »

Updated leaderboard:

15. Schmeel
16. Abide
17. DrTom
18. Al Sisti (original test solver)[/list]

And Nudge #3:

Other possible theme entries: wellington, cardigan, pasteurise, diesel, boycott
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

Needed that last nudge but I got it, and I learned a few things along the way!

I don’t think the flaw is all that fatal, either.
Anita

Post by Anita »

Off the couch! Good one, thanks!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

BrianMac wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:48 pm Updated leaderboard:

15. Schmeel
16. Abide
17. DrTom
18. Al Sisti (original test solver)[/list]

And Nudge #3:

Other possible theme entries: wellington, cardigan, pasteurise, diesel, boycott
Spoiler Puns and Daffy Definitions: wellington - when you get 2000 lbs of dirt while digging for water, cardigan - what you have to do during snow storms in the NE if you are trying to get the Chevy ready to go, pasteurize - how deep that damn snow is, diesel - what goes in the big flashlights, boycott - where Johnny sleeps. Could not resist
Thurman8er

Post by Thurman8er »

No "fatal flaw" as far as I'm concerned either. Very nicely done.