"Leap of Faith"

A weekly meta crossword created by members of the forum. Difficulty levels will vary. Hints are usually available starting Wednesday, and solutions are posted on Sunday.
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

Ah, I got it with the 8am spoiler (haven't looked at the 10am ones.) Very clever.
Ergcat

Post by Ergcat »

Got it with the nudges…
Clever one!
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

Got it after the first Wednesday nudge. I was SO on the wrong track with this one!
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

Not gonna happen. After all the hints/clues/nudges/shoves from various people (including Al!), I'm completely hopeless. Thanks for the puzzle, though!
woozy

Post by woozy »

Wendy Walker wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:23 pm Got it after the first Wednesday nudge. I was SO on the wrong track with this one!
I was too!... but all the nudges only served to convince me I was on the right track.

But, boy, was I on the wrong track!

(Different minds think differently)
Latest meta: Never forget... and never mind (A WSJ retaliation)
Ergcat

Post by Ergcat »

Dplass wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 5:22 pm
Bird Lives wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 5:10 pm Neat puzzle. Perfectly logical and with minimal crosswordese in the grid (not that I'd ever heard of the great Nikolai Volkoff or any of his avatars. I'm kicking myself for needing a shove.
Annoyingly, I believe I know exactly WHAT the mechanism is, I just don't know WHERE it is. (Don't get me started on WHY it is...)
I was the same way …. Knew WHaT to do but not WHere to do it…until I read Al’s nudges…..
JeanneC

Post by JeanneC »

Did not check comments until this morning. Had some thoughts and then saw the nudges. The light from above broke through and I finally got it. Entertaining puzzle and boy, did I learn some new stuff! Also l enjoyed the nod to Nikolai Volkoff. Ah, the vestiges of youth!
“I cannot and will not cut my conscience to fit this year’s fashions”. Lillian Hellman
BrennerTJ

Post by BrennerTJ »

A few nudges later... :)
-Tamara
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Solved, but I needed all the nudges and a couple of PMs from Al that confirmed I was indeed on the right track after all.
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
MikeM000

Post by MikeM000 »

I do believe I've got it....of course, with a Miguel Cabrera reference and a pro wrestling deep cut so deep it may as well have been a b-side released only in Denmark, I better get it...
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

MikeM000 wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:51 am I do believe I've got it....of course, with a Miguel Cabrera reference and a pro wrestling deep cut so deep it may as well have been a b-side released only in Denmark, I better get it...
You did. BTW, newest Hall-of-Famer Larry Walker also started his baseball career there!
auee89

Post by auee89 »

Made if off the couch! I saw the mechanism early, but needed the nudges to keep me moving in the right direction. Al finally pushed me over the side at the end. Really loved the grid and as a former drummer, loved the 30D, 31D, & 48D answers. And 46A still makes me laugh like a 10 year old as well.
Kevin
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

I have all the nudges (and a few more from Al himself), I am pretty sure I know what I am supposed to be doing for the mechanism and yet....NOTHING I have done even comes close to giving me a plausible start. Sometimes the fog is so deep. I just have to say "UNCLE"!!!

It is actually par for the course because EVERY Meta this month so far has kicked my butt, must be BLOCKTOBER.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
hoover

Post by hoover »

I finally got nudged off the couch.
hoover

Post by hoover »

DrTom wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:21 am EVERY Meta this month so far has kicked my butt, must be BLOCKTOBER.
I'm right there with you, brother. I think this is the first one I've solved this month, which we're now a week into, but it took so many nudges that I have bruises in the small of my back.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Thursday morning leaderboard update:

16 lbray53
17 bhamren
18 JeanneC
19 madhatter5
20 FrankieHeck
21 woozy
22 Ergcat
23 Wendy Walker
24 markhr
25 JeanneC
26 MarkDsm
27 benchen71
28 MikeM000
29 auee89
30 Schmeel 
31 Cinny
32 hoover
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

OK, quick, think of the densest person you know - got that? OK, now e-mail them an tell them you have found someone WAY more clueless.

I finally came to the solution - dragged kicking and screaming across the finish line with an answer I wanted to use for another reason for some time. It is a very clever puzzle and oh so Sisti. I tried everything I could do to make it harder than it was and in the end the simple elegance showed through.

I can claim no satisfaction since Al and other Muggles almost guided my writing hand through the grid, but at least I can now go about my ADL without returning every 10 minutes and screaming WHY!

Off the couch and just in time for this:
Germ Puns.jpg
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
madhatter5

Post by madhatter5 »

DrTom wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 1:10 pm OK, quick, think of the densest person you know - got that? OK, now e-mail them an tell them you have found someone WAY more clueless.

I finally came to the solution - dragged kicking and screaming across the finish line with an answer I wanted to use for another reason for some time. It is a very clever puzzle and oh so Sisti. I tried everything I could do to make it harder than it was and in the end the simple elegance showed through.

I can claim no satisfaction since Al and other Muggles almost guided my writing hand through the grid, but at least I can now go about my ADL without returning every 10 minutes and screaming WHY!

Germ Puns.jpg

This is gonna go viral
https://pandorasblocks.org/crosswords-for-cancer
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

madhatter5 wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 1:20 pm
DrTom wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 1:10 pm OK, quick, think of the densest person you know - got that? OK, now e-mail them an tell them you have found someone WAY more clueless.

Germ Puns.jpg

This is gonna go viral
I have an infectious laugh - its been great for business!

T
Wise Doctor.jpg
Naptown Kid

Post by Naptown Kid »

Divested from the Davenport and very abashed that I required so many nudges. I think Dr. Tom may be on to something with BLOCKTOBER. Thanks to Mr. Sisti for the puzzling experience, in more ways than one.