"Leap of Faith"

A weekly meta crossword created by members of the forum. Difficulty levels will vary. Hints are usually available starting Wednesday, and solutions are posted on Sunday.
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Off the couch!

Cool puzzle, Al!

Though, admittedly, I required even more than Al’s two nudges so far. (Thanks, you-know-who!)

I must say, the metas aren’t coming easily for me recently. Even some of the clues are confounding me. For example, I’m still stuck on “The Dinah Shore Sho_”.
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

The NYC subway has a Franklin St. station in lower Manhattan and a Franklin Ave. station in Brooklyn. After her death, they added to the signage in both. [This is not a nudge. These subway trains will not take you to the meta answer.]
Aretha.jpg
Jay
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Bird Lives wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 5:04 pm The NYC subway has a Franklin St. station in lower Manhattan and a Franklin Ave. station in Brooklyn. After her death, they added to the signage in both. [This is not a nudge. These subway trains will not take you to the meta answer.]
Aretha.jpg
Very cool!
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

Neat puzzle. Perfectly logical and with minimal crosswordese in the grid (not that I'd ever heard of the great Nikolai Volkoff or any of his avatars. I'm kicking myself for needing a shove.
Jay
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

Bird Lives wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 5:10 pm Neat puzzle. Perfectly logical and with minimal crosswordese in the grid (not that I'd ever heard of the great Nikolai Volkoff or any of his avatars. I'm kicking myself for needing a shove.
Annoyingly, I believe I know exactly WHAT the mechanism is, I just don't know WHERE it is. (Don't get me started on WHY it is...)
hoover

Post by hoover »

What the what? I've fallen so far that I don't even understand the nudges anymore. :cry:
MaineMarge

Post by MaineMarge »

Not happening, and I’m having a bad reaction to all you leaping lords and ladies
D483E80F-9A32-47E8-854A-D838C4FD4870.jpeg
Keep those nudges coming Al. 🙋‍♀️
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Wednesday morning leaderboard additions:

9 boharr
10 RPardoe
11 Darth
12 Meg
13 ChrisKochmanski
14 Bird Lives
15 Tom Shea

... with a few more getting very close to the solution. And here's a Wednesday nudge:

The rows you are interested in are row 3, 6, 8, 10 and 13.
Meg

Post by Meg »

Is it just me, or did several of the clues seem familiar? Like I’d seen them before in a Sisti puzzle. Not complaining. Just wondering if I’m hallucinating.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Meg wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:22 am Is it just me, or did several of the clues seem familiar? Like I’d seen them before in a Sisti puzzle. Not complaining. Just wondering if I’m hallucinating.
You're just sore because there's finally a puzzle without your name in it! Next time, I promise...right next to "that city in Central New York."
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Pete Muller and I seem to be having a battle for "who can get the lowest number of solvers" this week. Another spoiler? Okay... (but these are getting tougher to do without giving away the farm).

When you see it, you'll have five theme entries -- one being a two word phrase.

What do they all have in common? (use OneLook with the * wildcard, if it helps)

Seriously??? Work on it, it's there!
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

Al Sisti wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:57 am
Meg wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:22 am Is it just me, or did several of the clues seem familiar? Like I’d seen them before in a Sisti puzzle. Not complaining. Just wondering if I’m hallucinating.
You're just sore because there's finally a puzzle without your name in it! Next time, I promise...right next to "that city in Central New York."
I'm thinking maybe it's the distinctive cluing style?

I'm picturing years from now when linguistic researchers argue whether this is an original Sisti or perhaps constructed by Edward deVere?
Meg

Post by Meg »

Whimsy told me to tell you that I AM in a puzzle after all and to post a picture of Edith Ann. And that's the truth.
Attachments
D872D8DB-2709-44C9-BB3A-0B5B3D584D92.jpeg
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Meg wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:13 am
Whimsy told me to tell you that I AM in a puzzle after all and to post a picture of Edith Ann. And that's the truth.
Yes you are; I'm doing it now!
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

whimsy wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:09 am
I'm thinking maybe it's the distinctive cluing style?

I'm picturing years from now when linguistic researchers argue whether this is an original Sisti or perhaps constructed by Edward deVere?
Argh! Not another CamelCase name!
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

Off the couch! Solved without asking anyone for a nudge!

I guess there were a few spoilers though.

It took me awhile to figure out 72A, even after I had the answer to the meta. NOW I get it.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

First of all, congrats to those of you who have solved it. For those of you who haven't, I know you will. Now, another challenge for those who have solved it and thought they were done: I've also put in a "hidden aha" within the clues.. and no-one has found that trick yet. All I can say is that I used a similar mechanism to that used in the solve, and that it's consistent with the title and -- to some extent -- the answer.
woozy

Post by woozy »

Every single nudge implies that I always had the exact idea of the mechanism all along from the very beginning... except there is *nothing* there. This is like the number between 3 and 5 all over again. Do I not speak english or something?
Latest meta: Never forget... and never mind (A WSJ retaliation)
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

woozy wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:31 pm Every single nudge implies that I always had the exact idea of the mechanism all along from the very beginning... except there is *nothing* there. This is like the number between 3 and 5 all over again. Do I not speak english or something?
Same and same.
boharr

Post by boharr »

Al Sisti wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:40 am First of all, congrats to those of you who have solved it. For those of you who haven't, I know you will. Now, another challenge for those who have solved it and thought they were done: I've also put in a "hidden aha" within the clues.. and no-one has found that trick yet. All I can say is that I used a similar mechanism to that used in the solve, and that it's consistent with the title and -- to some extent -- the answer.
I love it. Another series of nudges upcoming!