"Choices"

A weekly meta crossword created by members of the forum. Difficulty levels will vary. Hints are usually available starting Wednesday, and solutions are posted on Sunday.
benchen71

"Choices"

Post by benchen71 »

Welcome to Muggle Meta Monday...

G'day from Australia! My name is Ben (benchen71 on this site and on YouTube, where I post low-fi music videos, theological spoken word pieces, and the occasional unusual time signature edit). This is now my fourth meta puzzle, but I've got a bunch more all ready to go. As a result, I've started up Metas On A Tuesday, or MOAT for short. (Note that there won't be a MOAT this week, but look for your next chance to storm the castle on the 21st of Sept.) Hope you enjoy puzzles with the occasional Australianism thrown in to keep you on your toes!

In life, we all face choices of various kinds. I trust that you will be able to navigate the choices in this puzzle and arrive at the meta answer, which is the title of a Harry Styles song.

PM me with your submissions or submit on Crosshare. Either way, I'll compile a list of those who successfully solve the meta.

Complete online at Crosshare

or download the file of your choice:

MMM Choices PDF

MMM Choices PUZ

MMM Choices XLXS

Nudges are available here.

The solution is available here.
Last edited by benchen71 on Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Thank you, Ben!

You've given us MOAT, MMM, & MMMM in one!
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET ๐—ฑ๐—ผ๐—ป๐—ผ๐—ฟ๐˜€ ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ ๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ.
๐—ง๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐—ป๐—ฒ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ ๐—ถ๐˜€ ENORMOUS ๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ:
๐Ÿฐ๐Ÿฌ% ๐—ฝ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ๐—ถ๐—ฎ๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ถ๐—ฐ,
๐Ÿฏ๐Ÿฌ% ๐—ฒ๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐—ต, ๐˜๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐˜๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐˜๐—ถ๐—ฐ,
๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ป๐—ฐ๐—ฒ๐—ฟ & ๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐˜‚๐—บ๐—ฎ. ๐—ฃ๐—Ÿ๐—˜๐—”๐—ฆ๐—˜ ๐—ฆ๐—›๐—”๐—ฅ๐—˜!
bhamren

Post by bhamren »

Off the couch! Liked this one.

I have been wondering if I am starting to lose it after missing so many this year here and WSJ and MGWCC. But this one was right up my alley (even though I had to look up the songs since I have never listened to Harry Styles).

I didn't get last weeks, not knowing there were 12 tasks of Hercules. I don't do the MMMM anymore since it has too many obscure songs in it and I don't listen to much music - don't have Spotify or any other streaming music account.
Last edited by bhamren on Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Meg

Post by Meg »

Pretty sure Iโ€™m OTC. Need to submit. Are people sleeping right now in Melbourne? This is the first Benchen71 puzzle that didnโ€™t kick my butt! Thanks.
Edit: confirmed. I think he woke up, had some breakfast and checked his PM's.
Last edited by Meg on Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

๐Ÿ›‹ and confirmed on Crosshare. Solved quickly which is certainly not the case of other puzzles by Ben. I thought it was a really clever idea.
Last edited by oldjudge on Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

Nice one, Ben. I don't know much about Harry Styles but I was surprised how many of his songs I recognized (only from hearing them at the gym, mind you)!
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
RPardoe

Post by RPardoe »

Solved & submitted (and confirmed on Crosshare)
hoover

Post by hoover »

Off the couch! I don't know anything about Harry Styles, either, and I don't have streaming music (Spotify etc.), but my go-to reference for "what's that song/band/album name?" is allmusic.com .
boharr

Post by boharr »

I don't know anything about Harry Styles either, but Crosshare has confirmed that I am off the couch.
Abide

Post by Abide »

I have left the lounge!
aus couch.jpeg
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
โ€”Brian MacDonald
auee89

Post by auee89 »

OTC and confirmed via Crosshare. Thanks Ben!
Kevin
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

A vacant settee!

I liked the method โ€” and the message!

Good one, Ben!
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

Sports trivia: The brother of 33A just died in August at age 78, of pancreatic cancer.
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
KayW

Post by KayW »

:couch_and_lamp: submitted. Clever!
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Anita

Post by Anita »

Off the couch!
Cinny

Post by Cinny »

Off the couch -- confirmed on Crosshare.
Cindy Heisler
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

I got the right answer (confirmed at Crosshare), but I think I took a shortcut and missed all the scenery. So this might be an incredibly clever and well-constructed puzzle, but I wouldn't know. What I do know is that it was yet another reminder of how peripheral to popular culture I am. The only thing that came to mind with the prompt "Harry Styles" were the obvious puns. Who?

Another reminder: I walked through Central Park this evening and all along the roadway on the east side, people were lined up, sitting on the low wood railing or standing. And by "people" I mean White girls between the ages of 13 and 23 often wearing something pink, plus a few others. So I asked what the line was for. "Machine Gun Kelly."
Raise your hand if you have any idea.
Jay
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Well done everyone who has submitted either via PM or on Crosshare. Definitely go on YouTube and check the song out. It's actually a really good song, with a fun cameo!
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

Sleeper sofa less in Seattle. (As of tomorrow -- West Coast trip to see kids)
Capturesleeper.PNG
Fun puzzle, Ben! - and I echo @ChrisKochmanski's sentiments.
Darth

Post by Darth »

Off the lounge, mate. I'll have me a bikkie and hope my answer is fair dinkum. :)