"Gather Ye Rose Buds"

A weekly meta crossword created by members of the forum. Difficulty levels will vary. Hints are usually available starting Wednesday, and solutions are posted on Sunday.
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

Late start but off the 🛋. Really an enjoyable puzzle with some extremely funny clues. 44A is a classic and could have been a Three Stooges film title.
MaineMarge

Post by MaineMarge »

hoover wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 1:56 pm Off the couch!

Can someone explain "stern crew cultivators"? Is that "stern" as in "strict" or as in "opposite of aft"? "Crew" is gang or bunch of workers or group of seamen? "Cultivators" = people who cultivate or tools that people use to cultivate? ((Stern crew) cultivators) or (Stern (crew cultivators))?
MaineMarge here with best explanation I can muster up. As you may have noted, I am an avid gardener IRL. Over the last 40 years my husband and I have planted and tended perennial flower gardens all around the 5 acres closest to our country house. A hobby run wild!
So when I joined the Muggles 2 years ago and was often stuck at sea, it was my thing to plant and tend a garden back at the stern of the ship. Sweet Isaac even personally delivers my drinks there on hot days. Over time lots of other gardening Muggles have joined the crew there to help with that ongoing project on their shipboard days.
Come on back and help or enjoy the garden anytime. Rabbits are occasionally spotted there sunning themselves.
C01F3F6E-919A-4978-96CF-B58341AEC541.jpeg
joequavis

Post by joequavis »

Confirmed otc. Very enjoyable offering!
Darth

Post by Darth »

Off the couch!...
Attachments
go-get-my-space socks.jpg
Anita

Post by Anita »

I believe we are off the couch. Awaiting confirmation, though we're pretty darned sure.
Cinny

Post by Cinny »

Off the couch. Fun puzzle to start the week!!
Cindy Heisler
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Not yet confirmed but the stroll has been so pleasant I cannot believe it took me to the wrong place.

Fun puzzle Whimsy, and lots of chuckles along the way. So, I THINK I am off the couch -oops just confirmed, the I am off the couch guess I go back to doing some home repairs and wiring....
Get er DONE.jpg
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Tom Mueller

Post by Tom Mueller »

I believe I'm off the couch. Another fun puzzle from Whimsy. Thank you!
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Submitted, with one nudge. Thanks, whimsy!

(Nice to see another constructor not worrying overly about "the rules" of crossword construction!)
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

DrTom wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 5:55 pm Not yet confirmed but the stroll has been so pleasant I cannot believe it took me to the wrong place.

Fun puzzle Whimsy, and lots of chuckles along the way. So, I THINK I am off the couch -oops just confirmed, the I am off the couch guess I go back to doing some home repairs and wiring....

Get er DONE.jpg
this is why doctors should not do work around the house.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Off the couch and smelling the roses. Awaiting confirmation.

Confirmed
Last edited by Bob cruise director on Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
auee89

Post by auee89 »

Confirmed off the couch. Fun puzzle! Thanks so much for putting this together. Enjoyed my stroll!
Kevin
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

Until I was reminded, I didn't notice the numbers in parentheses. What? How could you not notice them? I don't know but I didn't. Or I saw them and then didn't think about them at all. Paying too much attention to the asterisks. Star struck, I guess. Once I took the numbers into account, levitation from the couch quickly followed.

Precise puzzles are OK, but the ones with off-center entries and clues -- this one for example (and a fine example at that) -- are more fun.

I offered Whimsy a perfectly good alternate prompt and answer ("a 2005 movie"), but she refused to make that change.
Jay
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Bob cruise director wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:01 pm
DrTom wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 5:55 pm Not yet confirmed but the stroll has been so pleasant I cannot believe it took me to the wrong place.

Get er DONE.jpg
this is why doctors should not do work around the house.
Bob, that is why they make end tables, screens, quilt racks, etc. One simply moves one of the aforementioned in front of the offending item and le voilà.

Now if only they had something for plumbing "work arounds"......

T
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Dow Jones

Post by Dow Jones »

OTC and ready to stroll. This was very creative and fun to solve. Thanks, whimsy
Last edited by Dow Jones on Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
madhatter5

Post by madhatter5 »

benchen71 wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:05 pm Submitted, with one nudge. Thanks, whimsy!

(Nice to see another constructor not worrying overly about "the rules" of crossword construction!)

Soon we rebels shall overtake the establishment!
https://pandorasblocks.org/crosswords-for-cancer
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

madhatter5 wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 4:52 am
benchen71 wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:05 pm Submitted, with one nudge. Thanks, whimsy!

Soon we rebels shall overtake the establishment!
Oh, you're up! My new meta is out: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1164 if you want to give it a try.
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

Fun one! Off the couch!
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
madhatter5

Post by madhatter5 »

Off the couch and smelling the roses.

This is an incredible construction!! Jealous that MEOW couldn't have this one
https://pandorasblocks.org/crosswords-for-cancer
Hidden in 3D

Post by Hidden in 3D »

As a long time member of the Stern Crew Cultivators (Stern Cultivators Crew? SCC? :) ), I am pleased to post that Claudia has confirmed I'm off the couch. Thanks for a great meta!
Sara