MMM - AUTOCORRECT by DrTom

A weekly meta crossword created by members of the forum. Difficulty levels will vary. Hints are usually available starting Wednesday, and solutions are posted on Sunday.
DrTom

MMM - AUTOCORRECT by DrTom

Post by DrTom »

AUTOCORRECT (and I have to thank Madhatter for the clever title!)

OK, I’m trying this again! HOPEFULLY this one will not suffer a fate worse than death (i.e. a retraction). It has been thoroughly tested and contains no crossword faux pas (well a few crunchy clues/answers but hey).

The answer to the Meta is something you’ll see going around

It is probably a 2.0 at best

Autocorrect.puz

Autocorrect.pdf

Autocorrect.xlsx

EDIT: In 42A The stare I get from my wife when I say "I'm just gong to work on my puzzle for a while". That should be going. It doesn't affect the solve at all, it just sounds funny :D

EDIT #2: A sharp eyed Muggle found another typo, again nothing that will affect the solve but an indication of why I should probably avoid sports clues. 18D "Ex Brewer pitcher Zach..." It should be Zack. So I guess i have to get the H out of there....fallibility thy name is Tom.

PM me when you have the answer (or if you are hopelessly lost because that is likely my fault). I will attempt a leader board and Nudge Wednesday posting.

Good luck all!

Oh, and the reason I sometimes do poorly at METAs. . .
Imagine the damage.jpg
Last edited by DrTom on Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
BrennerTJ

Post by BrennerTJ »

Got an early start to the week with this one. Thanks DrT. :)
-Tamara
Meg

Post by Meg »

Got it!! I think this one was a little sneaky. Thanks for the nod.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Hector

Post by Hector »

Nice one, Tom! I'd go with 3.
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

Loved it! (Assuming that the answer I submitted was correct.)

I may have finished sooner but the first time I looked for the puzzle, Dr. Tom's comment on last week's puzzle pushed it to the top of the comments in the category and I thought today's was not up yet. The second time I looked for it, I realized my mistake.

Challenging fill. Great fun. Lots of theme fill along the way.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Meg wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:38 am Got it!! I think this one was a little sneaky. Thanks for the nod.
Revered??????
star-trek-star-trek-tos.gif
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Meg

Post by Meg »

Bob cruise director wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:50 am
Meg wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:38 am Got it!! I think this one was a little sneaky. Thanks for the nod.
Revered??????star-trek-star-trek-tos.gif
Well, the cabana boy loves me! I mean he doesn’t kiss my feet, but he’s always there to listen and not judge.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
hoover

Post by hoover »

Got it! Surprised not to see more Dr. Tomisms. Found a shallow rabbit hole but crawled out quickly.
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

Unconfirmed but sure If Hector says it's a 3, it must be a 3, but I got this one quickly, and i haven't been able to solve much of anything lately. Thanks to the good doctor for some Monday relief and for the clues which were wry, but that's to be expected.
Jay
boharr

Post by boharr »

I believe I am off the couch. [Edit: Confirmed]
This is a fun and clever puzzle with some great cluing. Thanks, DrTom
Last edited by boharr on Mon Aug 09, 2021 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Off the couch, pending confirmation. Great puzzle!
Heidi
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

hoover wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:57 am Got it! Surprised not to see more Dr. Tomisms. Found a shallow rabbit hole but crawled out quickly.
I know, I know, I was trying to be good... This was my first time back since the dreaded ULTRA fiasco and I wanted to be fairly straightforward. I had a few more zingers but if this puzzle is successful I'll probably do more and you'll all see them there.

Oh, and hoover pointed out a typo that THANKFULLY does not affect the solve. In 42A The stare I get from my wife when I say "I'm just gong to work on my puzzle for a while". That should obviously be going I guess that is just a cymbal of my inattention. Unfortunately I have a spellchecker and not what I really need, a "what am I trying to say here" checker. In this case the spellchecker did not ring true. I guess it should have struck me, perhaps I have heard immunity?
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

Solved despite the tough grid, Dr. Tom! Did you put all that baseball trivia in JUST FOR ME?
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

Picard's quip is hitting a little too close to home --
I began reading the clues, thought they seemed familiar, and only then realized I'd test-solved! :?
(In my defense, it had a different name then.)
So I guess I get the GONG! :D
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

Off the couch (Confirmed). I think Tom did a great job characterizing the difficulty-a 1.5-2. Fantastic puzzle BTW; any puzzle with 36A and 32A in the same grid has to be a winner.
Last edited by oldjudge on Mon Aug 09, 2021 2:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.
RPardoe

Post by RPardoe »

Loved the grid as it wasn't a slam dunk to complete, nicely chewy (if that is such a thing).
Got a bit distracted to start, so exclaimed D'OH more than AHA when I got the meta.
Solved and submitted.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

whimsy wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 1:09 pm Picard's quip is hitting a little too close to home --
I began reading the clues, thought they seemed familiar, and only then realized I'd test-solved! :?
(In my defense, it had a different name then.)
So I guess I get the GONG! :D
You are, as always, forgiven. Indeed it was a different name, Josh came up with the current one and I LOVED it so....

You have total dispensation, and don't worry abut that alcohol thing, you have total dispensation, oh and don't worry about that alcohol.....
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Off the couch!

For me, a challenging grid, but a fairly easy meta.

Fun!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Wendy Walker wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 12:49 pm Solved despite the tough grid, Dr. Tom! Did you put all that baseball trivia in JUST FOR ME?
ALL the baseball trivia? Wow you really are baseball averse, there were two clues that referenced baseball and one was a shared reference with something else, so 1 and 1/2. There at least three times that many musical references. I usually try to avoid sports references (though in crosswords it is so darn hard because they have such helpful abbreviations) because if you took all I know about sports you could combine it will all I know about opera/bridge/knitting/black holes/etc. and still have room for all the snowflakes from the 1939 blizzard. I promise however to try to include more cat and knitting references. :D
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

The Leader Board:

AUTOCORRECT - MMM 08/09/21
1 BrennerTJ
2 FrankieHeck 
3 Meg
4 Al Sisti (Tester)
5 Hector
6 BirdLives
7 Cindy
8 lbray53
9 boharr
10 hoover
11 hcbirker
12 Wendy Walker
13 oldjudge
14 Rpardoe
15 Whimsy (Tester)
16 ChrisKochmanski