"Please Sir, I Want Some More"

A weekly meta crossword created by members of the forum. Difficulty levels will vary. Hints are usually available starting Wednesday, and solutions are posted on Sunday.
Abide

Post by Abide »

Awesome! I’d be honored to receive that CD that no one ever chooses!
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

I'm afraid I DNF'd this one without trying very hard... I was out of time and energy to work on metas after the MGWCC week 5 (which was also a DNF for me). I saw RAVIOL+I easily but couldn't make a strong case for other foods. Then I was distracted by the thought that you could add a letter to 45A to make SHORTZ, which could conceivably be an alternate answer to 49A ("The cruciverse's patron saint"), but couldn't find any other entries that worked that way. Nice "super-answer" concept, and I loved the cluing, especially 29D!
Hector

Post by Hector »

Anyone else sidetracked by CONTRA crossing Sandinista leader ORTEGA?
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Hector wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 12:58 am Anyone else sidetracked by CONTRA crossing Sandinista leader ORTEGA?
Oh YEAH! Plus AMERICA crossed IDLE when the clue for IDLE was ERIC from Monty Python and TEEN crossed DENIM where the clue was "Blue material popular with teens". I was so hoping that the Sloe Gin Fizz was first made near Newcastle, but alas.

I actually got RAVIOLI very early but then was looking for more complex words and ones that tacked on to the end. It took me a while (and a gentle nudge from Al) to realize that adding something on was indeed the key. I was taking the title too literally at first though because of adding I to get ravioli I was temporarily led to trying to do a "I" want some more. However , I then realized that would leave me with all I's and I saw nothing. Finally I said "LIME dang it", and I was able to finish - well after a LIME detour because I made it MEAL not VEAL but was quickly reminded that LIME had already been used in the mechanism so it was likely not the answer.

Very clever as usual, and the Oliver Twist was my basis for the "gruel" trick comment (which Al gave me full permission to do so it was not rally a spoiler per se)
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

Apparently, I like to eat ravioli the most, since that's all I saw, haha. Interesting how the answer is pretty much in plain sight with the allusion, but I never went there. Fun one!
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 89. That's Not Right!