"Please Sir, I Want Some More"

A weekly meta crossword created by members of the forum. Difficulty levels will vary. Hints are usually available starting Wednesday, and solutions are posted on Sunday.
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

Al Sisti wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:00 am As for a rating, I think it’s around a Week 2.
You meant Week 200, right? Man alive, it's a stumper so far! Still chewing.
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 89. That's Not Right!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Can you hear the crickets? I know I can, matter of fact it is all I hear. Every time I notice something that looks like a foothold it doesn't hold up for very long. Impossible as it may sound, I think I am getting worse at these.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

DrTom wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:03 pm Can you hear the crickets? I know I can, matter of fact it is all I hear. Every time I notice something that looks like a foothold it doesn't hold up for very long. Impossible as it may sound, I think I am getting worse at these.
No, you're not... Here's a Nudge Wednesday Eve nudge: The title is the foothold.
woozy

Post by woozy »

I got several ideas but they are all over the place and I just don't have the faith to pursue them as if the aren't it goes nowhere and if they are right I don't know where to take them.
Latest meta: Never forget... and never mind (A WSJ retaliation)
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

DrTom wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:03 pm Can you hear the crickets? I know I can, matter of fact it is all I hear. Every time I notice something that looks like a foothold it doesn't hold up for very long. Impossible as it may sound, I think I am getting worse at these.
I'm feeling the same way about metas, DrTom...maybe tomorrow's nudges will help?
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Welcome to Nudge Wednesday.

A more specific prompt would have made this a week .001, so it's vague. The foothold you need is in the title...which you can Google, if you need to

He wants food? Give him food!

If the word you find isn't a satisfying answer, apply the mechanism until it is.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Our leaderboard so far is:

1 Abide (TS)
2 Old Judge (TS)
3 BirdLives (TS)
4 Cindy
5 Meg
6 FrankieHeck
7 Wendy Walker
8 boharr
9 RPardoe
10 ChrisKochmanski
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

Pretty sure I'm off the couch; awaiting confirmation.
Darth

Post by Darth »

Thanks, Al. I submitted what I think makes sense. I came up with it yesterday before the "spoiler" nudges, but I wasn't quite confident enough....

Thanks for the confirmation that I was on the right track. Now, if I just take it a bit farther, I'll have both answers and perhaps a super answer, too! ;)
Last edited by Darth on Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hoover

Post by hoover »

Dplass wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:41 am
I'm feeling the same way about metas, DrTom...maybe tomorrow's nudges will help?
Hmph. The nudges didn't do anything but confirm what I already suspected. Man, nothing but chapulines around here.
auee89

Post by auee89 »

Confirmed off the couch. Thanks Al!
Kevin
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

SewYoung wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:05 pm Pretty sure I'm off the couch; awaiting confirmation.
Confirmed. Thanks Al. Took me a couple of days, but glad to know I haven't completely lost it.
Anita

Post by Anita »

Have tried several times to email Al with my answer, but the emails are sitting in the Outbox. Hopefully they will go out eventually...
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Anita wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:14 pm Have tried several times to email Al with my answer, but the emails are sitting in the Outbox. Hopefully they will go out eventually...
Private messages on this board stay in your outbox until the recipient reads them. They're not like regular emails that only sit in your outbox if they can't be sent.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

BarbaraK wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:53 pm
Anita wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:14 pm Have tried several times to email Al with my answer, but the emails are sitting in the Outbox. Hopefully they will go out eventually...
Private messages on this board stay in your outbox until the recipient reads them. They're not like regular emails that only sit in your outbox if they can't be sent.
Yeah, sorry; I was in a golf tournament all day and then continued "golfing" with my neighbors by my pool until we ran out of "golf."
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

Well, I was planning to use this picture for the Thursday afternoon when I get the WSJ puzzle in about 14 minutes and land on page one right after Al ---- but, on second thought, nah, might as well not let it sit around for years and years collecting dust --
Captureguinnessbun.PNG
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Thursday morning leaderboard update:

11 Small Wave Dave
12 auee89
13 SewYoung
14 Hector
15 whimsy
16 Darth
17 BarbaraK
18 MamaE
19 michaelm
20 Dplass

Pretty low solve count for an MMM. More often than not, that's a reflection on the constructor, not the solver.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Well FINALLY, I struggled to the finish line. It is much easier and much cleverer than I originally thought. It appears Mr. Sisti has played a gruel trick on us!

Satisfying answer(s) even if the path was tortuous.

Off the couch with a pun (that would make this post two punny!)
Florist Friars.jpg
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Could NOT resist this cartoon given the reference in the puzzle and the obvious relevance to METAs in general (particularly with our group)

Puzzle Twilight Zone.jpg
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Al Sisti wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:33 am Pretty low solve count for an MMM. More often than not, that's a reflection on the constructor, not the solver.
Sometimes it’s a reflection of how hard MGWCC was and how little people have left in their meta tank.