A Step in the Right Direction

A weekly meta crossword created by members of the forum. Difficulty levels will vary. Hints are usually available starting Wednesday, and solutions are posted on Sunday.
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

(Same as front page!)

Spoiler #1: The five-letter word does NOT end in "T."

Spoiler #2: If you're stuck, you probably know what you need to look for - I promise, it's (they're) out there! Keep looking!

Spoiler #3: If you found what you need in Step 2, apply the definition liberally!
Last edited by MikeyG on Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 89. That's Not Right!
cbarbee002

Post by cbarbee002 »

I have 5 letters, but not making sense of them yet. :-/
madhatter5

Post by madhatter5 »

cbarbee002 wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:34 am I have 5 letters, but not making sense of them yet. :-/
You're further than me, Chris.
https://pandorasblocks.org/crosswords-for-cancer
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

madhatter5 wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:47 am
cbarbee002 wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:34 am I have 5 letters, but not making sense of them yet. :-/
You're further than me, Chris.
I have eight letters but assume that means I am actually further from the answer than madhatter5.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
TMart

Post by TMart »

Off the couch (figuratively and unofficially). Nice one!
cbarbee002

Post by cbarbee002 »

Okay, needed a bit of help re how to look at what I had. Almost certainly OTC. Good one (now that I have it . . .). :-)
woozy

Post by woozy »

Well since UORA, HOOR, NILO, ESIR, OLEI, UALS, RLAS are not words and even if the were they have four not five letters, I don't have the slightest idea what any of you are talking about and it is making me very cranky.
Latest meta: Never forget... and never mind (A WSJ retaliation)
madhatter5

Post by madhatter5 »

Solved with nudges. Very clever!
https://pandorasblocks.org/crosswords-for-cancer
woozy

Post by woozy »

I need and want nudges.
woozy

Post by woozy »

Aw, Geez..... Thanks for the nudges. Got it but..... I don't know if I'm happy.
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

Muggle Meta Monday - July 26

Solution: NUDGE (har har har)

Correct submissions: 25

Winner!: DrTom - congrats!!

Step 1: Realize that three of the four cardinal directions are concealed in the long themers, but the other one is definitely in need of a fourth: EAST is missing!

Step 2: This cannot be the answer to the meta - as the answer is five letters, so see if you can find another EAST somewhere...and to the clues we go for the following five entries:

SPOON: "cause a stir"
EMU: "beast"
FIELD: "Shea Stadium"
RUG: "Ikea store"
PATE: "Fancy Feast"

Step 3: Taking the easternmost (right-most) letter in each entry spells out NUDGE, our answer - and hopefully, most nudges do give us a step in the right direction! (I might be asking one for the current MGWCC soon!!)

Let's see what the Muggles had to say:

Dr. Tom: "Well I have often needed a nudge to get the answer, but I don't know if I needed a NUDGE to BE the answer."

Whimsy: "How come as soon as I typed that for the subject, I got the feeling of being in an Abbott and Costello routine?!" (Bahaha - even referenced on Jeopardy! last Friday!)

RPardoe: "So that is why you said Wednesday you would provide lovely, heartwarming cryptic assistance instead of the usual nudges on Wednesday. Your answer is: NUDGE and you didn't want to tip your hand?" (Abide and I were mulling over for two weeks what to call these this time around, haha.)

Thanks, as always, for letting me grace your humble abode with my wackiness. Another MMM on, well, Monday! I think that's how these things work.

Mikey G
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 89. That's Not Right!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

MikeyG wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:16 am Muggle Meta Monday - July 26

Solution: NUDGE (har har har)

Correct submissions: 25

Winner!: DrTom - congrats!!
Let's see what the Muggles had to say:

Dr. Tom: "Well I have often needed a nudge to get the answer, but I don't know if I needed a NUDGE to BE the answer."

Whimsy: "How come as soon as I typed that for the subject, I got the feeling of being in an Abbott and Costello routine?!" (Bahaha - even referenced on Jeopardy! last Friday!)

RPardoe: "So that is why you said Wednesday you would provide lovely, heartwarming cryptic assistance instead of the usual nudges on Wednesday. Your answer is: NUDGE and you didn't want to tip your hand?" (Abide and I were mulling over for two weeks what to call these this time around, haha.)

Thanks, as always, for letting me grace your humble abode with my wackiness. Another MMM on, well, Monday! I think that's how these things work.

Mikey G
I am quite honored to be in the winner's circle. There may well be hope for me yet as a META solver (though this weeks MGWCC puts that in question)

Thank you MikeyG, its the best thing to happen to me today since church!

Honk if you love Jesus.jpg
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Abide

Post by Abide »

woozy wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:20 pm I need and want nudges.
Where are the spoiler police when you need them? :lol:
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald