Film Fare

A weekly meta crossword created by members of the forum. Difficulty levels will vary. Hints are usually available starting Wednesday, and solutions are posted on Sunday.
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

Yum! Thanks for a tasty-sounding puzzle, Jay! Re: 42A: my father utterly despised this food and so I never tried it until I shared a house with an Italian friend in college. It staggered her that I did not eat what was to her a staple of cooking; nay, of life. She started me out at the beginning of the semester by covertly putting just a smidgen of it into her amazing spaghetti carbonara and by finals time I was avidly consuming several [portions] of said vegetable. It was only then that she revealed the secret ingredient. I was, and remain, a huge fan!
BTW I emitted a humorless chuckle at 41A.
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Wendy Walker wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 1:42 pm Yum! Thanks for a tasty-sounding puzzle, Jay! Re: 42A: my father utterly despised this food and so I never tried it until I shared a house with an Italian friend in college. It staggered her that I did not eat what was to her a staple of cooking; nay, of life. She started me out at the beginning of the semester by covertly putting just a smidgen of it into her amazing spaghetti carbonara and by finals time I was avidly consuming several [portions] of said vegetable. It was only then that she revealed the secret ingredient. I was, and remain, a huge fan!
BTW I emitted a humorless chuckle at 41A.
Wendy, WHY? 41A was the top toy on my holiday list!!! :lol:
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

OTC. Thanks for the puzzle!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Dplass wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:06 pm
DrTom wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:00 pm
Dplass wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:50 am I think there's also a typo in the clue for 60D. With some finagling I was able to figure it out (the answer to 60D) though. Thanks for the meta!
60D - man you are proactive, you must be solving next week's puzzle cause there are only 58 Down clues (either that or Bird cheated me on my printout - hey that's not FARE! :D

(I think you mean 6D yes? Obviously part of a different clue or earlier clue that got caught in the cut and paste shuffle.)
No, I meant 30D, not 60D or 6D!
Sorry, since 6D was a typo I made a snap decision (took me a nanosecond!)! :)
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
KayW

Post by KayW »

:couch_and_lamp: submitted. And hungry!
VeggieCouch.jpg
Thanks for spending time on your holiday weekend to provide us with appetizing entertainment!

I thought the typo was at 55 down but it didn't interfere with the meta.
Last edited by KayW on Tue Jul 06, 2021 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Scott M

Post by Scott M »

Thanks Bird!
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
Mark Twain
auee89

Post by auee89 »

Off the couch!
Kevin
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

This was a fun one.
fuggedabowdit

Post by fuggedabowdit »

OTC - awaiting confirmation
Nice puzzle. Checked the pantry - good to go!! Let's eat and watch the show!!
Confirmed!
Never trouble trouble til trouble troubles you !
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

Yes one of my favorite of its genre! Off the couch and maybe headed for the kitchen...
The other Wendy. :roll:
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

As of this morning, we have forty-four solvers, not counting anyone who I inadvertently left off the list.
Solvers 7-7.jpg
There were no wrong guesses, and nobody needed nudges. But since nudges are the order of the day, the day being Wednesday, I offer the following.

Saute the 65A in the 20A till soft.

Add the 1A (a can of San Marzanos. But if you can find fresh 1As that taste like real 1As, please tell me where.) Cook it down to thicken the mixture.

Throw in some herbes de 57A and 35D, salt and 31A (black).

Add a lot of 42A, especially if you're feeding someone like the young Wendy Walker (see post #41).

Toss in the 18A (one-inch dice), 55A (¼-inch slices),and 31A (red, sliced).

Cook for about 40 minutes (stovetop or oven). If you still don’t have the answer, point your phone at what you’ve got and use Google Lens. Or just Google the ingredients.

Serve with a good rosé from 57A

For dessert, why not a 7A?
Jay
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

Wendy Walker wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 1:42 pm Yum! Thanks for a tasty-sounding puzzle, Jay! Re: 42A: my father utterly despised this food and so I never tried it until I shared a house with an Italian friend in college.
And nobody reported this to CPS?
Jay
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

Excellent!!! ^
Wonderful puzzle & nudge/reveal!
And to think that I was going the lousy hot dog from the grill for the Fourth route!
Capturehotdogcouch.PNG
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

Bird Lives wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 7:25 am As of this morning, we have forty-four solvers, not counting anyone who I inadvertently left off the list.
Solvers 7-7.jpg
There were no wrong guesses, and nobody needed nudges. But since nudges are the order of the day, the day being Wednesday, I offer the following.

Saute the 65A in the 20A till soft.

Add the 1A (a can of San Marzanos. But if you can find fresh 1As that taste like real 1As, please tell me where.) Cook it down to thicken the mixture.

Throw in some herbes de 57A and 35D, salt and 31A (black).

Add a lot of 42A, especially if you're feeding someone like the young Wendy Walker (see post #41).

Toss in the 18A (one-inch dice), 55A (¼-inch slices),and 31A (red, sliced).

Cook for about 40 minutes (stovetop or oven). If you still don’t have the answer, point your phone at what you’ve got and use Google Lens. Or just Google the ingredients.

Serve with a good rosé from 57A

For dessert, why not a 7A?
Best. Nudge. Ever.
michaelm

Post by michaelm »

Confirmed off the couch.
Later getting back on the couch to watch an award-winning movie.
mkmf

Post by mkmf »

Off the couch without nudges. Just forgot to submit though - got distracted by the MMMM...still stuck down on a hot and lonely planet on that one.

Enjoyed the clue/answer for 52A.
TMart

Post by TMart »

Off the couch and at the Jersey shore myself. Easier to do a meta than make a meta from here - thanks Jay!
eagle1279

Post by eagle1279 »

Confirmed off the couch. Would never have gotten it without the help of my daughter who recognized the elements. Thanks for a fun puzzle!
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

I'm off the couch now....a little slow on the uptake this week. Thanks, Jay! A great puzzle.
Cynthia
Hidden in 3D

Post by Hidden in 3D »

I just have to be off the couch... awaiting confirmation. I haven't looked at the nudges, but now I really want to after seeing the latest post from @Dplass!!

Confirmed, and just read the nudges. @Dplass was spot on!
Sara