Andre.....You've Lost Another Submarine?

A weekly meta crossword created by members of the forum. Difficulty levels will vary. Hints are usually available starting Wednesday, and solutions are posted on Sunday.
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

I’m with Anita, waiting for Wednesday nudges. I have a start, but can’t finish.
Cynthia
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

Bird Lives wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:09 pm
Dplass wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:10 pm I know that POSH stands for "PORT OUT STARBOARD HOME".
It's a cute etymology, but it's pure fiction.
https://www.merriam-webster.com/help/faq-posh
Yes, I know. I guess I should have added some smileys etc.
TMart

Post by TMart »

Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

It took the entire navy, coast guard and the a few life guards to get me off the couch and then I was keel hauled before they brought me out to walk the plank.

That was the only way that I was going to get off the couch.

Very clever Whimsy

For any square dancers out there, is 66A a real term?
tenor.gif
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
MaineMarge

Post by MaineMarge »

OTC.
Great fun Whimsy. We love you❤️
And not to worry- that sub isn’t lost, it’s just now about to dock near the Tiki Bar. Connected the dots on the map to find its way.
47647A1E-F0C5-497A-8B8A-842B578D7241.jpeg
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

Not only is it Nudge Wednesday, but it's Apology Wednesday too! :D

Sorry for any confusion on the set up of the grid, particularly as it compared with Will's (the referenced coincidence.) There have been so many variations over the years in the, ahem, thing, that I thought perhaps I was using an older version, and he, the newer. Wikipedia couldn't possibly steer me wrong, could it? :shock: (Also I figure Muggles are pretty smart and resourceful --if one way doesn't work, they'll try another!)

There was also the originally unintentional, built-in rabbit hole close to the instance of the fourth clue/entry. And that being the only place that bumped into that dilemma didn't help. Neither did my opting to elect to leave it in once I was aware of it! :twisted:

#1 This nudge was originally going to say: "Recall a game you played many years ago, one that also had a grid." Now for many of you it should read: "Recall a game you referenced just the other day!"

#2 The black square dilemma of the last clue/entry combo -- Do count it! But then you'll have to do something else when it comes to four other black squares.

#3 The Hunt For Red October reference in the title is a bit misleading. I just like the line and I justify using it by the fact that it does indicate the one ship in the game that I didn't use in the clues -- it was lost!

Thanks for tolerating my learn-as-I-go! :D
Schmeel

Post by Schmeel »

Spoiler 3 nudged me over the edge.
Off the couch!
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

A couple of the posts on this thread @cbarbee002 @TMart are making me seasick! (--in the best possible way that is! :D )
@Bob cruise director re: 66A -- I don't think so. I fear I take liberties!
Last edited by whimsy on Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
auee89

Post by auee89 »

Off the couch! Solved and confirmed before reading Whimsy's post this morning. Very much enjoyed the theme! Thanks Whimsy!
Kevin
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

Bob cruise director wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:51 am
For any square dancers out there, is 66A a real term?

tenor.gif
I tried really hard to make DONTSIDO or DOSIDOESNT fit the grid. There were some really great clues in this puzzle.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

From whimsy:

"Not only is it Nudge Wednesday, but it's Apology Wednesday too! :D

Sorry for any confusion on the set up of the grid, particularly as it compared with Will's (the referenced coincidence.) There have been so many variations over the years in the, ahem, thing, that I thought perhaps I was using an older version, and he, the newer. Wikipedia couldn't possibly steer me wrong, could it? :shock: (Also I figure Muggles are pretty smart and resourceful --if one way doesn't work, they'll try another!)"

Once I read this I did not need the spoilers. I was stubbornly refusing to consider a different variation. My bad. Great puzzle.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
Hector

Post by Hector »

Bird Lives wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:09 pm
Dplass wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:10 pm I know that POSH stands for "PORT OUT STARBOARD HOME".
It's a cute etymology, but it's pure fiction.
https://www.merriam-webster.com/help/faq-posh
Interesting, thanks! I had mistakenly read that as a mnemonic for nautical channels: the red buoys should be on your left going out and on your right coming home. We were taught "red on the right returning".
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

My father-in-law on the Cape schooled me about Red, Right, Return years back. I wanted something for the other buoys, so I decided upon Black, Button, Bye-Bye -- whatever I was wearing that day apparently had buttons on the left!
Then I found out something about men's and women's clothing being different in the placement of buttons, so obviously my new mnemonic could not achieve universal adoption! :D
And the story behind the clothes, has something to do with the need to draw weapons quickly, I believe.
C=64

Post by C=64 »

Solved; both grandfathers in USN in WWII.
Hector

Post by Hector »

whimsy wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:28 am And the story behind the clothes, has something to do with the need to draw weapons quickly, I believe.
I suspect that the real point was to be able to convince ourselves that we were definitely wearing masculine attire.
mens-red-satin-ruffle-shirt.jpg
bhamren

Post by bhamren »

C=64 wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:36 am Solved; both grandfathers in USN in WWII.
I solved also on Monday but forgot to post.

My father was in the navy during WWII. He was stationed at Virginia Beach, VA which at the time had a year round population of 5000 and a summer population of 70000 (or something like that). He stayed in the fanciest hotel at the time (The Cavalier) and taught seabees in the morning and sat on the beach all afternoon. When I was in high school we went through Virginia Beach and by then the year round population was like 70000 and the Cavalier had been rebuilt but the old 3 story one where my dad stayed was unused and delapitated. I reserve the option that some of my memories are not exact - we went through there in 1975!
Anita

Post by Anita »

Finally had time to take another look at this, and we're off the couch. Didn't read the nudges, only the apology. It was enough.
Anita

Post by Anita »

Finally had time to take another look at this, and we're off the couch. Didn't read the nudges, only the apology. It was enough.
Tom Mueller

Post by Tom Mueller »

My Great Uncle Bruce served two terms in WWII. He was, and still is, my hero and inspiration. When Uncle Bruce finally came home from the war, he retired to Laguna Beach California in 1947. Can any of you imagine how awesome Laguna Beach California was in 1947? I spent my childhood growing up there, half in Los Angles and half in Laguna Beach. I am so blessed to have had that experience and cherish every moment I had with my dear Uncle Bruce. This puzzle really hit home for me. Thanks again!
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

I had to be sent to a re-orientation camp to get off the couch. Once again, I have learned that inflexibility of thought is the bane of meta-solving.
Jay