Andre.....You've Lost Another Submarine?

A weekly meta crossword created by members of the forum. Difficulty levels will vary. Hints are usually available starting Wednesday, and solutions are posted on Sunday.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Well that was interesting. Once I got my navigation corrected it went pretty smoothly. Great puzzle that ALMOST worked when I was steaming towards the wrong port.

Oh, and my Naval two cents on colors of lights was:
Red to Red or Green to Green, if even in doubt don't go between!

Other Naval expressions and observations will have to be scuttled due to propriety.

Great puzzle Whimsy, I am officially off the couch and on the deck.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Hector wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:50 am
whimsy wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:28 am And the story behind the clothes, has something to do with the need to draw weapons quickly, I believe.
I suspect that the real point was to be able to convince ourselves that we were definitely wearing masculine attire.

mens-red-satin-ruffle-shirt.jpg
Ah, the storied "Puffy Shirt"
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Cindy N

Post by Cindy N »

Bob cruise director wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:51 am For any square dancers out there, is 66A a real term?
Way, way back in middle school and high school when we ended up with square dancing each year as part of "folk dancing", they were always referred to as "DoSiDont's!"
Abide

Post by Abide »

Ah, I see it now! Nice job
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

The answer is ALL HANDS ON DECK.

(And mayhaps Joe Ross will be posting his usual Show-and-Tell soon also. :) )

The "hits" per the coordinates were the second A in ASOCIAL, the H in ISH, the O in CRO, and the D in AMISTAD,
The names of the ships in the pertinent four clues, and their lengths in Battleship, keyed you in to the length of the word following that letter (after skipping that sneaky black square.)
And the title was my silly way of saying that the only ship from the game not used in the solution was the submarine.

Thank you everyone for playing along even though I had a little trouble telling my axis from my..... well, from my other axis...
Capturetwodonkeys.PNG
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

Wow awesome construction.
JeanneC

Post by JeanneC »

Two brothers in the house who played board games, a father who joined the Navy in 1942 and I just never saw this one. How elegant!

Happy Fathers’ Day to all you dads. Enjoy your baseball games, golf tournaments and “How it’s Made” episodes uninterrupted!
“I cannot and will not cut my conscience to fit this year’s fashions”. Lillian Hellman
bhamren

Post by bhamren »

Funny - I got this one based on the AHOD acronym and did not even notice that it read out in reality.
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

bhamren wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:35 am Funny - I got this one based on the AHOD acronym and did not even notice that it read out in reality.
I did the same! Kudos to Whimsy for an awesome puzzle!
Heidi
C=64

Post by C=64 »

I'm posting this in two relevant threads in order to dilute the thumbs-up votes.

Today I had a Zoom meeting with a new student and we had this exchange.
S: "Yeah, we used Connect Math in my last course, and that thing... what's it called, with the grid, and the letters on one side and the numbers on the other side..."
C: "Battleship?!"
S: "Oh, I remember, Excel!"
C: 🙄