Andre.....You've Lost Another Submarine?

A weekly meta crossword created by members of the forum. Difficulty levels will vary. Hints are usually available starting Wednesday, and solutions are posted on Sunday.
hoover

Post by hoover »

I think I'm off the couch after digging under the cushions for loose change again.
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

Off the couch! My grandfather also was in the US Navy during WWII.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

I'm off the couch after one false start due to an incorrect assumption.

Very clever! Thank you, @whimsy
boharr

Post by boharr »

Laura M wrote: โ†‘Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:27 pm Off the couch! My grandfather also was in the US Navy during WWII.
One uncle (Navy) captured on Corregidor (survived). Another uncle (Army) helped liberate the Philippines with McArthur.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Uncle in Battle of the Bulge. Dad made it through Navy boot camp, but the end of the war had him released 6 months after joining up.
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET ๐—ฑ๐—ผ๐—ป๐—ผ๐—ฟ๐˜€ ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ ๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ.
๐—ง๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐—ป๐—ฒ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ ๐—ถ๐˜€ ENORMOUS ๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ:
๐Ÿฐ๐Ÿฌ% ๐—ฝ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ๐—ถ๐—ฎ๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ถ๐—ฐ,
๐Ÿฏ๐Ÿฌ% ๐—ฒ๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐—ต, ๐˜๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐˜๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐˜๐—ถ๐—ฐ,
๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ป๐—ฐ๐—ฒ๐—ฟ & ๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐˜‚๐—บ๐—ฎ. ๐—ฃ๐—Ÿ๐—˜๐—”๐—ฆ๐—˜ ๐—ฆ๐—›๐—”๐—ฅ๐—˜!
Tom Mueller

Post by Tom Mueller »

Beautifully done. Thank you!
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

Thank you, Whimsy, for a terrific and challenging MMM! Alas, for the next few months I will not have a sofa that I can eject from: Two nice men from Bautista's Reupholstering came today and took it away in a truck.
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
boharr

Post by boharr »

Joe Ross wrote: โ†‘Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:49 pm Uncle in Battle of the Bulge. Dad made it through Navy boot camp, but the end of the war had him released 6 months after joining up.
Opps, I left out another uncle who was also in the Battle of the Bulge. My dad tried to volunteer, but he had polio as a boy and was rejected.
Abide

Post by Abide »

Whimsyโ€™s Revenge: Iโ€™ve been stuck in the cushions all day.
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
โ€”Brian MacDonald
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

I am stuck on TDC (for all the old car people out there). Holding out for either someone to spill the beans tonight on the zoom call or that Whimsy coughs up a spoiler a day early.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Anita

Post by Anita »

I'm just not getting it. Waiting for Wednesday nudges.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

While I am working on this, I figured that I would throw out a trivia question - and hope it is not a spoiler.

Do you know why the sides of the ship are called Port and Starboard? And a bonus - why is the bathroom on a ship called the Head?
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Just recently read about port. When the ships came in to unload/load, they always pulled up with left side to the port. Modern airliners still do that - load and unload the passengers from the left/port side.

I'm sure I read about starboard in the same article, but I've totally forgotten that. I only know the mnemonic - you get a star for doing right.

No clue about head.
KayW

Post by KayW »

Laura M wrote: โ†‘Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:27 pm Off the couch! My grandfather also was in the US Navy during WWII.
My dad enlisted in US Navy during WWII - according to him, they were shipping him to Europe but rerouted him to South Pacific when they learned his father was a German citizen (who emigrated after WWI).
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

Bob cruise director wrote: โ†‘Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:48 am While I am working on this, I figured that I would throw out a trivia question - and hope it is not a spoiler.

Do you know why the sides of the ship are called Port and Starboard? And a bonus - why is the bathroom on a ship called the Head?
I know that POSH stands for "PORT OUT STARBOARD HOME".
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Back before they developed rudders for ships, they steered them using a big oar tied to the side of the ship. And since they discriminated against us lefty's they put the oar - or steerboard as it was called - on the right side of the ship. So that side of the ship became known as the steerboard side which became shortened to starboard side as time went on.

And since they did not want to smash the steerboard, they always had the other side of the ship next to the wharf so that side became known as the port side.

Now back to looking for a submarine. or whatever
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Scott M

Post by Scott M »

OTC (pending confirmation) with one small quibble I mentioned to Whimsy. But it is a well-constructed, fun puzzle!

Edit: Confirmed
Last edited by Scott M on Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
Mark Twain
boharr

Post by boharr »

Bob cruise director wrote: โ†‘Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:23 pm Back before they developed rudders for ships, they steered them using a big oar tied to the side of the ship. And since they discriminated against us lefty's they put the oar - or steerboard as it was called - on the right side of the ship. So that side of the ship became known as the steerboard side which became shortened to starboard side as time went on.

And since they did not want to smash the steerboard, they always had the other side of the ship next to the wharf so that side became known as the port side.

And it must have been really confusing way back in the day when port was called larboard. As for head, the bow was the place to go (so to speak), and the bow was where the figure head was, hence the name.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

boharr wrote: โ†‘Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:23 pm
Bob cruise director wrote: โ†‘Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:23 pm Back before they developed rudders for ships, they steered them using a big oar tied to the side of the ship. And since they discriminated against us lefty's they put the oar - or steerboard as it was called - on the right side of the ship. So that side of the ship became known as the steerboard side which became shortened to starboard side as time went on.

And it must have been really confusing way back in the day when port was called larboard. As for head, the bow was the place to go (so to speak), and the bow was where the figure head was, hence the name.
From my reference, larboard was the original name which indicated the loading side. And the confusion you mentioned was why they changed to port. The change was made by the British officially in 1844
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

Dplass wrote: โ†‘Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:10 pm I know that POSH stands for "PORT OUT STARBOARD HOME".
It's a cute etymology, but it's pure fiction.
https://www.merriam-webster.com/help/faq-posh
Jay