"Meta Forum Sleuth"

A weekly meta crossword created by members of the forum. Difficulty levels will vary. Hints are usually available starting Wednesday, and solutions are posted on Sunday.
Inca

Post by Inca »

First time doing this puzzle. Very cute and I am very impressed.
I probably wouldn't have gotten it except that I have just finished reading 2nd book and deciding which one is next for me....and yes, I only started reading these because, well, I'm actually part of it, in a way.
Abide

Post by Abide »

Friday Night

63. FKelly
64. Inca
65. damefox
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
JeanneC

Post by JeanneC »

This was a great puzzle. I enjoy the ones where I learn new “stuff” through grid answers!
“I cannot and will not cut my conscience to fit this year’s fashions”. Lillian Hellman
Abide

Post by Abide »

"Meta Forum Sleuth" Reveal
MFS reveal.png
Credit: Ross-Abide-Pym-Publicity, Ltd.

Constructors can find inspiration in the strangest things. When I noticed "Lord Peter Wimsey" was 15 letters and an interesting 4-5-6 pattern, I started looking for other phrases that would fit that parameter. I did find several good ones (deep fried turkey, Davy Jones locker), but when I saw "Toll House cookie" this idea started taking place.

Sixty-five(!) solvers submitted a correct answer, which I think may be a MMM record. Some had good memories, some searched key words without seeing the 456, some had the answer and never searched. I think my favorite response was from @Small Wave Dave: Funny as heck!
Needed more sports clues though.
But @HeadinHome was fine with the one apologetic sports clue at 24-Down. ;)

So unregistered users or lurkers could participate, I prevailed on Brian Mac to make the forum search box appear on everyone's main page whether they logged in or not.

Spooky Coincidence #1: The day Wendy posted, April 29, is World Wish Day. :shock:

Spooky Coincidence #2: FKelly at Post #60 sorta implied this puzzle was a con game run by me and Wendy. Then he wins the random drawing. So who set up who?
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

Sixty-five of us playing well together and having fun!
Even though it was 'Silly me" for a while ..... and didn't anyone else have to slog through those VERBOTEN SAUSAGES in the middle every time you looked at the grid? :P
Cindy N

Post by Cindy N »

Yes, yes, yes to VERBOTEN SAUSAGES!
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

I’m glad I’m not the only one that saw the forbidden franks.
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

BA9BF5E3-91BE-4583-94CA-B93ABF4036CC.jpeg
BA9BF5E3-91BE-4583-94CA-B93ABF4036CC.jpeg
It’s an honor to be grouped with Claudia and Peter.