Muggle Map Meta MFridays

Puzzles created by members of Xword-Muggles.com. Here you can post links to puzzles of any kind that you created - crosswords (meta or non-meta), cryptic, variety, word search, number puzzles, riddles, brainteasers and anything else.
Djquimby

Muggle Map Meta MFridays

Post by Djquimby »

I'm a mapmaker by trade and a geography dork by, um, non-trade, so why did it take me so long to get addicted to geoguesser.com?

Well in any event, making your own map quizzes ends up being a great way to really explore the studio space when it comes to metas. So here's the first attempt. You'll need a free account on the Geoguessr website to play the map portion. Each of the 5 maps that are part of the meta are meant to be panned, zoomed, and walked, but never too far from where you started. What are you looking for? For now, that's for you to figure out.

The link to the map portion of the meta is below, followed by the actual puzzle which you can view/print as usual. PM me with questions, nudge requests, and guesses.

Maps Link

Puzzle PDF

If the demand reaches beyond a distant whisper, I'm happy to make more.
Djquimby

Post by Djquimby »

Oh I should say that the whole point of Geoguessr is to try drop your pin as close as you can to the actual location and your score depends on your distance. You can play it that way and brag about your score here but in this case it really doesn’t matter.

BUT whether or not you think you’ve found something that speaks to the meta, you’ll definitely want to pay attention to where it shows where you actually were after you guess (and zoom in on it if needed).
MarkL

Post by MarkL »

Looks like I got locked out for the day after inadvertently closing the window. I did not see a way to make a guess or drop a pin. Did I miss something?
Will log-in and try again tomorrow.
MAL
'tis... A lovely day for a Guinness!
BrianMac
Site Admin

Post by BrianMac »

I solved the 5 locations (I happen to have lived very close to two of them). I am lost on the meta, however.

I don't seem able to go back and review the locations.
Djquimby

Post by Djquimby »

BrianMac wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:29 pm I solved the 5 locations (I happen to have lived very close to two of them). I am lost on the meta, however.

I don't seem able to go back and review the locations.
Yeah I believe you can only closely review each one at the time it’s revealed. If you’ve got partial lists of possible answers, send them my way for a nudge.
MarkL wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:25 pm Looks like I got locked out for the day after inadvertently closing the window. I did not see a way to make a guess or drop a pin. Did I miss something?
Will log-in and try again tomorrow.
MAL
Right, I knew free accounts were walled at some point - is it really one map a day? That’s not ideal. Don’t want anyone to feel like they have to pay for the full version (but its worth it if you’re so inclined). Definitely try again though.

To guess, you pull up the map from the bottom right and zoom and pan.

Sorry for the limitations!