For the Veterans of Troy

Puzzles created by members of Xword-Muggles.com. Here you can post links to puzzles of any kind that you created - crosswords (meta or non-meta), cryptic, variety, word search, number puzzles, riddles, brainteasers and anything else.
MarkL

For the Veterans of Troy

Post by MarkL »

Always wanted to compose a 15x15 from scratch. Here is an Excel-based attempt saved as a pfd. Enjoy.

"For the Veterans of Troy"
https://drive.google.com/file/d/19XCIlQ ... sp=sharing

Admittedly, 25D is rough, but at 223/225 squares, it was close enough to debut!!

I am open to all feedback and suggestion!

Cheers!
Last edited by MarkL on Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'tis... A lovely day for a Guinness!
BrianMac
Site Admin

Post by BrianMac »

Mark, thanks for sharing this ambitious debut that will certainly appeal to a large contingent of this forum!

I sent you a PM with some suggestions to bring the grid into stricter compliance with American crossword norms - there are a few other rules than symmetry and no 1 or 2 letter words. I hate to call them "rules," but there are norms that solvers of American crosswords expect to see (and they are rules if you want to submit a puzzle for publication).

Perhaps I will create a post that outlines these rules and links to some helpful resources for constructing crosswords. I love encouraging people to try their hand at constructing, but there a few restrictions that don't jump out as obvious, even though we all know them intrinsically from years of solving.

Thanks again for sharing and I hope you keep it up!
boharr

Post by boharr »

BrianMac wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:51 pm
Perhaps I will create a post that outlines these rules and links to some helpful resources for constructing crosswords. I love encouraging people to try their hand at constructing, but there a few restrictions that don't jump out as obvious, even though we all know them intrinsically from years of solving.
I think this would be of interest to all muggles.
MarkL

Post by MarkL »

BrianMac wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:51 pm Mark, thanks for sharing this ambitious debut that will certainly appeal to a large contingent of this forum!

I sent you a PM with some suggestions to bring the grid into stricter compliance with American crossword norms - there are a few other rules than symmetry and no 1 or 2 letter words. I hate to call them "rules," but there are norms that solvers of American crosswords expect to see (and they are rules if you want to submit a puzzle for publication).

Thanks again for sharing and I hope you keep it up!
Brian, thanks for the feedback and helpful rules of the road. I had seen a similar list in the past, but had no idea where to find it again. I concur that many Muggles may appreciate a peek behind the curtain. Also, replying to your PM to answer some of the questions.

Cheers!
MAL
'tis... A lovely day for a Guinness!